summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, September 12, 2011

monday, through and through...

Ugh, it feels like a Monday. I did not want to leave the warm and comfy bed.

The Dome work was easy, it wasn't very busy, being high school games. We were just there for a long time, from three o'clock until ten or so. Mostly on my poor feet. Since I am complaining, I will mention that my lower back is aching today. Paul says I should do more crunches/ab strengthening exercises and it will help my back too. Good idea. I had been doing those on a regular basis, but stopped when I was pregnant...it is hard to get back into things, my mental discipline has been shaken, I am still tempted to feel sorry for myself, and that translates into, "I can have some of this and some of that..", although I do not really agree with such logic. Or rather illogic. If that is a word, which I am pretty sure it is not.

I did have something marvelous and wonderful yesterday. It is called a Cookiewich, made by Byrne Dairy. Two homemade tasting chocolate chip cookies with soft serve ice cream in the middle, all frozen...550 calories. Ouch. It WAS my lunch. But then I remembered I had a half a sandwich before I went. oops. And I can't go around eating cookies for lunch, much less cookies with ice cream in between. I did enjoy it though, despite the little niggling voice that kept trying to tell me NO. I also sneaked a few nacho chips when the supervisor wasn't looking, mostly for the fun of it. Then when the games were finally over, we could eat the leftovers...I had a few bites of a sausage on a bun, a little bit of a hot dog, a few bites of pizza, and more of a pretzel than I really wanted to have....I didn't eat all of anything so it wasn't a horrible day, calorie-wise. But it wasn't good, either.

Rosie and I walked our mile this morning. Then I came back and scrambled to get the kids' clothes out and get them ready, check their weekend folders, give a few of them showers, then finally got to eat my oatmeal after being up for almost two hours. They all got on the bus, the college kids got out the door, and Camille is still sleeping. The kitten is sleeping on my chair, he got tired of trying to drink my coffee and attacking my typing fingers.

I am thinking that Camille and I should go to the rec center pool, then come home and take a nap. But I have lots of work to do. Wash and match socks, wash bedding and towels, wash school clothes, sweep the floors, do the dishwasher, pick up around here. And we are running out of milk. And, no one can find the package of lunch bags I bought at the dollar store a few weeks ago. One child was in tears this morning over this.

If I had known Camille was going to sleep so long, I would have skipped the coffee and curled up on the couch.

Okay, since I am tired and it is quiet and I don't feel like doing my work, I shall write down a few things I have learned along the way in life so far...

1. Do not try to reason with a tired teenager, especially when you yourself are tired. It is better to just be good and placate him/her, say as little as possible, especially if he/she is trying to provoke you.

2. Stressing about stuff doesn't help. The older I get, the more I see that life goes on, things that seem like a big deal usually aren't.

3. Learn how to Not Nag. Yes, that child should have put his plate in the sink. She SHOULD have taken the tea bag out of her mug before she put it in the sink. He shouldn't have thrown away that half of bagel, someone would have eaten it. That towel does not belong on the floor. Those shoes are NOT on the shelf. Who's backpack is this???! The bread is wide open. The milk jug is in the 'fridge and it is empty! Who finished the granola bars and left the box on the shelf? If you watched a movie, why leave it in the dvd player? The books go vertically on the shelf! I tend to see these infractions in clusters, so that I can have a total Nagfest...and the kids hate it when I start in about these things. But a little (or a LOT, actually) of self-control, to say a few things gently, not just start ranting, is worth more than gold in preserving peace in the house.

4. Think before you Nag. Think. Is it really important to say it NOW, when you are upset?

5. If your feelings are hurt, do not say anything. Wait until you are not so offended.

6. Starting to think nobody loves you? Be a little more lovable.

7. The world won't stop spinning if I don't accomplish what I set out to do.

8. I like to be told I am loved, so I must assume the kids appreciate it too. I try to remember to give them hugs and tell them how much I love them, even when they are older and seem embarrassed.

9. Plants do not survive in our house. I kill every potted thing that ever entered.

10. Life is not All About Me. When I start to feel sorry for Me, all I have to do is look around me, and see plenty of others to think about and take care of.

11. The relationship between Mom and Dad is VERY important...here are a few things I have experienced...

a. It is never good to argue in front of the kids. Ever.

b. It is never good to argue NOT in front of the kids. Ever.

c. It is much better to have peace than to be right.

d. Husbands need praise and thanks and goodness, too.

e. When I am kind and interested and nice to my husband, he is more so to me.

f. If things get difficult, talk talk talk about it! Do not expect husband to read your mind!! He probably has no clue!

g. Let him be! If he is a little messy, or does folds the towels funny, SO WHAT!!!

Well, Camille is up now....and she is very glad to see me.

3 comments:

AUTISMOMMA said...

Aaaahhhh, strangely-folded towels (or any laundry item, for that matter)......This is one area where I have had to reconcile with my OCD tendencies and just let it be and convince myself that it is better to have the task completed "wrongly," or just differently than I would do it, than to have it sit for days while it waits on me to get to it.

16 blessings'mom said...

I just re-read what I wrote this morning, and had to laugh. These little pieces of advice are things I tell myself, too...because I am the chief forgetter when dealing with grumpy teens, and I am the chief complainer about things that aren't done right. But it is a work in progress, and I have it cut out for me...there is hope!

ccc said...

I love your advice and I need to take some of it. When you talked about how your house looked with bread wide open and empty milk jugs in fridge etc. I had to laugh. Today I found the peanut butter and jelly(opened of course) outside on the picnic table with the bread also wide open just sitting there with bees and flies all over it. Why??!! Oh well, life goes on.