summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Friday, November 11, 2011

11/11/11 -more than a day off from school...

blah blah blah, more than enough has been said about the soldiers who have served, given their lives, how their families have suffered and sacrificed so we can enjoy our freedom. Right? Well...now that my own son is in the Army, it hits closer to home. Those numbers, those statistics, those "casualties", those are husbands and wives and sons and daughters and brothers and sisters and mommies and daddies...and I am thankful for them.

I wish I could give my Benjamin a big hug today on his birthday. But since I can't, I will write him a quick letter, which will get there late, but better late than never.

And...just for the record: I try not to pass on my "lifestyle change" anxieties to my kids. Try, anyway. One of my girls has an eating disorder. I love her to pieces and of course would do anything and everything to help her. I know where she's coming from, especially in these last few months as I have become more obsessed with losing this weight. I wonder if she sees herself in me as much as I see myself in her. When I missed a work-out recently, she said to me, "Mom, it is only ONE DAY!" Role reversal! Anyway, I really try not to bring my issues to the family, I don't want them to ever feel judged or guilty about eating what they want to eat. That is why this blog has been such a help for me...I can get it all out here...and if anyone is sick and tired of it, I do not blame them one bit. But. I would rather blah-blah-blog about it than go on and on about it at the dinner table.

I would like to say that my house is spotless and the laundry is all caught up for our day off...ha. It isn't too bad in here. We can do a quick pick-up and then have the day. I bought some beads with alphabet letters on them, thought maybe we could make some bracelets later. These guys like to just hang out and relax on the days at home. And, the weather has turned! Snow mixed with rain is headed this way. My walk was FREEZING this morning. I only had my sweatshirt on, no sweater underneath, brr.

And now I am all out of things to say...for now anyway!

5 comments:

Humble wife said...

Funny- we can't know until we know. I understand about your son, and I have always known as a child of a solider killed in action. But how could those that don't?

As less than one percent or so at any given time serve it is a small portion of our nation that personally get it.

To your son, mine, and all those that have served before-because we cannot be with them simple acts of gratitude are everywhere. No veteran or solider ever is hungry today as so many restaurants open their doors and offer a meal to those that have worn or are wearing the uniform-so they are mom's for us.

As to your shape up plan-I have been following for a while and woohoo. I am certain your daughter and you will come together on this. Seems like when a parent changes good happens to the children.

Happy Birthday Benjamin from NM

Jennifer

Piper Paradise said...

It seems you have received some negative feedback. Ignore them! You are devoted to God, a good wife, raising amazing children. Thanks for sharing this with us.

FLmom7 said...

I have a daughter who struggled with an eating disorder through her teen years...it is so tough to counter what society tells our daughters from the time they are young. My daughter is 18 now and is doing better, I hope the same for your daughter as well.

Mike and Katie said...

I agree. Since my son hasn't actally left yet, I'm not sure if I'm really considered a military mom, but I certainly listened with more interest to the military chaplain speaking on the radio today. And began to pray and be hopeful for my son's time there. And to ponder what he will face and will the foundation we've laid be strong enough?

Martha said...

Happy Birthday to your Benjamin! (again)

I actually cleaned all day long. The "throw things out, sort through piles" kind of cleaning. It actually feels like home again. :)