summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

where have i been all day?

I went far far away, to take Paul to the airport. It is really not very far, the airport is located where I grew up, in a village less than an hour from here. In suburbia. My parents are no longer there, the house is occupied by strangers, and I have yet to drive by there since it sold. I am still sad and lonely for them when I go to the airport, since for years and years it was considered a done deal that a trip there would include stopping at my parents' house and parking there for all the live-long day. Or picking up my mom and taking her shopping. Once I stopped at Carvel and brought them hot fudge sundaes, my father was IN LOVE with that sundae.

So today we brought Paul to the airport...he is off to Ireland. Since I am a nice mommy, I let Sonja, Jonathan, and Charlotte Claire skip school and come with us. Jonathan saw the UPS plane, plus some planes taking off and landing. We went to Kmart, and that is always a bit sad...my mom worked there part-time when I was a girl. It was our favorite place to go way back when, before Walmart and Target. We didn't get much today, just some marked down Halloween bubble gum for the kids, a shirt for me, and some boots for Sonja.

We then went to Aldi...I got some of the yummy German chocolate for Christmas, the little foil-wrapped snowmen and Santas....and some chocolate coins, for their stockings. Also some oranges and some oriental veggies to eat with our chicken tonight.

Then...oh then, we stopped at the bakery. Oh yes we did. Blah, heaven. Absolute heaven. I had a half a peanut donut on the way home with my coffee from the DunkinDonuts drivethrough...the kids had halfmoon cookies, and yes, I sampled one. Then I got home and had a half a rasberry tail light. oh my, sooooo good. I will NOT have anymore, not one bite. It WAS lunch. The bad part is I am fighting a stubborn headache/sinus thing, and I could not exercise when I got home...I did five minutes, and my head was pounding...rats. I might be able to go to the pool, but I would really like to crawl into bed....

I could have slept in a bit this morning, since we had already decided not to send the three youngest kids...but, our 1993 Buick died. It isn't totally dead yet, but we are pulling the plug. It didn't pass New York State inspection, so Joseph had 10 days to get new rear tires. Well, there was also this gas smell...and then yesterday it wouldn't start....it is ridiculous to sink money into a car like this....so I think it is a goner. It joins the Gold Car (2000 Dodge Stratus, runs like a 747 taking off...and it is swervy and clunking...), and The Truck...which is a 2002 and can be saved with some time and money...I think we might just call PickAndPull.

Anyway, I had to drive Mr. Joe to college this morning. I took the opportunity to take a zip through Wegmans after I dropped him off...eggs and milk and bread and cheese and yogurt and bananas and carrots and romaine and frozen veggies and canned veggies and toilet paper and chicken...

And, some new Christmas lights for the front windows! I want to put them up! Christmas stuff is out early, but this year I don't care. I am excited for Christmas, Ben and Ashley are coming home, and I am picturing coziness.

Today was nice and sunny, and I wish we had come straight home from the airport and enjoyed the sun. 66 degrees out! Tomorrow is supposed to be 70. I plan to get in on the sun, as I am stuck home since Joseph is taking the minivan to college. If you pull into our driveway, beware! Give me a minute....

1 comment:

FLmom7 said...

You look fantastic! That is quite an accomplishment:) Keep up with what you're doing, it is working (even if you are feeling discouraged at times)...slow and steady wins the race!