summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Saturday, July 24, 2021

Saturday night blogging at it's finest....

 Well, if you thought yesterday was busy, well it was.  I cleaned and vacuumed the camper, but sadly, and I do mean SADLY, it's not in good condition.   Water leaked in, and has wreaked havoc, we can't really stay in the camper anymore.  We can use it as a day space, use the yard, and the refrigerator, ect., but it's going to have to be towed away soon.  I cried, absolutely sobbed, when I saw how the ceilings looked...

We bought this 35 foot camper brand new, back in 1993, so we've definitely loved it.  We used to tow it to the state parks, but we haven't done that for several years now.  We use it at our church property.  So yes, I cried.  I cried because of the sentimentality involved, we had such good times in this camper.  We only had six kids when we upgraded from the Coleman pop-up camper.  Little did we know that we would have 10 more!   We had to use a few tents in addition, we couldn't all fit in the camper at one time!  

I cried because we aren't in a place where we can easily replace the camper.  It's on the list, at least it's on MY list, to get a smaller camper, that we could once again tow to the parks, enjoy the Adirondacks, rather than tenting.  But, we'll see.  We can dream, but.  

I cried because I was ashamed of how attached I am to the camper.  It's such an earthly thing.  But what it signifies is warmth and family, good times, celebrations.  We had such fun with it.  Morning coffee, the excitement of kids, even the years it's been parked at church, packing our bags and staying out there, so much fun!  

I cried because I love my camper, and no amount of vacuuming and polishing is going to fix those ceilings.  The water damage is all the way through the walls, some of the upper cabinets are absolutely buckling.  It's not good.  It's on it's deathbed.

Oh so dramatic. 

When the broken camper was all clean, the girls were finished painting, we went to the pools for a bit, yes our church has two beautiful in-ground pools.  Then home, then to the store for some things for today, then home, dinner:  chicken fajitas!


I love the peppers, I stir fried the bottom bowl with some onions, mmm.  

After dinner, no putting our feet up, back to the church to unpack and put away a bunch of things ordered from Amazon and Walmart for this week's youth camp, 200 kids need meals!  

Then, Paul took us out for ice cream.  I actually didn't get one, some times I do, but this time I didn't.



Jonathan, Sonja, Charlotte Claire, and Camille...


This fine morning, out the door by 9:30 with boxes, bags, and bins of dollhouse stuff, and the snow cone machine, for a children's day.

My sister passed out snacks...
Emily made a slip and slide with plastic, and baby shampoo, so it didn't hurt their eyes.
Anya made a fancy drink at the drink station...
Wulf likes snow cones.
Elise painted a pretty pot.
Yay, the bouncy house!
Emily supervised the water station/slip and slide.
Baby Tennyson liked the doll house stuff.

Tomorrow, I think I'm being roped into taking some girls to the mall...ugh.:)



3 comments:

Linda said...

You always make me smile, Della. Your church has 2 pools? Wow, I have never known a church to have a pool, grin. Have a beautiful day, friend.

16 blessings'mom said...

Yes, Linda, two pools! It's a conference center, so people from different states (and countries, in normal times! We were hoping to see our Canadian friends soon, whoever is in charge of that has major procrastination problems!). There are cabins and hotel-like suites, dorm rooms, camping trailers, a huge gym with a climbing wall, and kiosks near the pools for food service. We're putting in another small playground right now, and painting the meeting hall. So this week, youth from several states will gather. They've signed up for different activities (riding ATV's, go-carting, boating, jet-skiing, ect....some will go to Six Flags, lots of things to choose from...then in the evenings, they'll have really good dinners (restaurant themed!), and evening meetings. It's nice to have good, wholesome things for young people to do, keep them busy and out of trouble.

Terri D said...

I'm with Linda! TWO POOLS!! I've never been to a church with even a baby pool! LOL Wow. So sorry about the demise of your beloved camper. What a shame. Keep us posted on how it all shakes out. Fun for the kiddos!! Snow cones are the best on a hot day! xo