summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, March 7, 2022

dark rainy Monday....

 and where is my get-up-and-go?  It seems to have all leaked out.  I have these ideas of things to do, but then nah, not now.  Not today.  Back when I had all these little ones underfoot and in my arms, I HAD to keep busy, so I did.  Now...well, my chair is extra comfy.

To be fair, it IS a Monday after a busy vacation followed by a busy weekend.   This fine morning, I did sweep and mop, washed a load of towels, and I cleaned out an ottoman.  It was a dumpy ottoman.  It wasn't a pleasant task to clean it out, because we have these little critters here, stink bugs.  (They moved to the U.S. from China, were first discovered in Pennsylvania in 1998...they're AWFUL.  They smell when you squish them, they have no natural enemies, they can hide/hibernate for forever and a day, and then to top it all off, they can fly!  I hate them.).  So anyway, I took everything out of this storage ottoman that's just been sitting here, and had the vacuum cleaner here to vacuum up ever bug I came across.  This isn't the ideal solution, because-sorry to skeeve you out-but:  they stay alive in the vacuum cleaner.  If you look in there, you might just jump out of your skin.  ugh.  sorry.  Anyway, I threw away some old Kohl's ads, some of those rice bags made with old socks, and some gift boxes I'll never use, and I found a perfectly good iPhone charger, and my Colors of The World crayons, and a nice Curious George coloring book.

What??!  Is my life not exciting enough?  

I talked to my sister on the phone, then face-timed Kathryn...she showed me around her new house.  She's all the way over in Oregon, and showing me her house, so cool.  I am so old.   I wish I could just wiggle my nose and be there to help her do things, and to see the new house in person.  (Wiggle my nose?  Bewitched?  Anyone?)

The gas prices are awful.  I can say that, can't I?  Compared to what they're suffering in Ukraine, this is NOTHING.  This IS true, but this is still life, our life, and we still have our own battles.  Sonja drove to college today, then has to go to the hospital for clinical instruction, so I only have Paul's truck, which is acting up and has to go to the shop, so I am home today.  My goal is to cut down on my little outings anyway, which won't be easy as I have ants in my pants and like to go out and about.  But when it's over four dollars a gallon, we have to think a bit more about just going driving.  

We live at least fifteen miles from a grocery store, not counting the Dollar General or a dinky little expensive small-town grocery store.  This week, I'll try to not to go until Thursday.  Then Friday, I go bye-bye for the weekend to the get-away with my friends....12 of us in a beautiful Airbnb with a hot tub....I'm planning the meals and will buy the food maybe Thursday, then head there on Friday and stop and get anything I wasn't able to, on the way there.  It's almost two hours away, on one of the Finger Lakes, with a lake view, and a path down to the water, not too shabby!  Off season, you get better prices, and the rich get their ice in the summer, so the rich also get their waterfront airbnbs in the summer.  Yes, the poor get their ice in the winter, and winter isn't done with us yet.  More snow is coming.  

It's time to mosey on out to the kitchen and make some dinner....


2 comments:

Billie Jo said...

Sounds like my day, dear friend. I did some laundry and puttered around, all with thoughts of the poor Ukrainian people in my heart. Now I am parked on the couch, waiting for a severe thunderstorm to roll through. It will only be Steve, Flynn, and I for dinner tonight, so I don't know what we will throw together. Have a cozy evening!

Angie said...

My sweet Grandmother use to say her get-up-and-go had got up and went! :)