summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, March 10, 2022

just a wee little post...

 

You know you're a housewife-y type, scuffling around in your slippers, when your Walmart order comes and you get this fancy new mixer, and YAY!  The butter and eggs were waiting around on the counter, reaching room temperature, while the delivery man made his way here with this.   The old one died, Paul pronounced it deed indeed.  You can't just throw it away without his agreeing it cannot be fixed.  Did I love the new mixer?  I wanted to, I did.  I was so excited, and thankful!  (In our early days of marriage, when we lived in our mobile home (we lived there until we had five kids), we didn't have much money, and for a long time, I had no mixer.  I did survive, and had one strong arm.). Anyway, this mixer disappointed me.  The strange looking helix beaters didn't have enough gusto to tackle the butter, and it was room temp!  I had to insert the 2 dough hooks, which spun and drilled holes in the butter/sugar mixture.  I added the eggs, which I usually don't add until the butter and sugar are well creamed, just to stop those helix things from sending it flying all over the room.  The mixer liked that mix much better, and swirled it all together nicely.    A double batch of chocolate chip cookies, if you're wondering.
These two babies of mine, Charlotte Claire and Camille Anaya, are 15 and 14.  They wanted to go to the library today, so we went.  We also did a Kohl's pick up.  (I had $10 Kohls cash, which they gave me for no reason, except maybe that I had let the $10 from the last time expire...I just couldn't find anything I wanted, and you have to spend $75 to get free shipping.  If you try to do order pick up, all the stuff you actually want is only available for shipping.  Anyway,  I had the ten, and a two pack of furry pink throw pillows was $11.99, store pick up, so why not?  Well, when we picked them up, they were covered with oranges!  Pink furry pillows with citrus fruits printed on them.  um, no?  I showed the nice lady behind the counter the pic accompanying my order, and she agreed it was different, but the numbers all matched the one they were giving me.  I was able to go pick out different ones, and just exchange, easy peasy.  We didn't even buy anything else, and we have two furry pink throw pillows for $1.99.  

We went to the grocery store for just a few things, since I went yesterday.   I let the girls pick out a muffin or a donut, and I got some chicken for dinner, and some fresh raspberries, oh they're good, and some lunch meat.  Home...ah, home.  

It was cookie making time.  It takes a few hours to bake a double batch.  It's so strange to just bake cookies.  I mean, I used to do these things while juggling children and babies and homework and and and....

I'm all packed for my weekend away.  I remember to bring flip flops to walk through the snow to the hot tub, and a nice comfy robe, and two pairs of sweatpants.  We're getting another six+ inches of snow Friday night into Saturday.  I had really been hoping this was going to be one of those random March weekends where the temperatures soar into the sixties or seventies, and the sun makes you forget there is even such a thing as winter. 

We got our truck fixed by a local guy with a small garage, and were quite pleased with the bill.  It was a lot, but most of it was the new wheel bearing, the labor was relatively reasonable, he got it done so quickly, according to Jonathan anyway.   I'm just glad we got it back  so I can take the car with minimal guilt.  I already feel bad leaving Paul for the weekend, but shh, not bad enough to skip it and stay home.   The younger girls are going to Conneticut this weekend with Mariel, Margaret, and Evelyn.  Sonja wants to go but she has tons of work, and a lab on Sunday.  So it'll be just Paul and Jon here...but hey, they have pups and the kitties.  


 

2 comments:

Mari said...

Ha! I loved this post. Happy Anniversary!
When our Andy was born, they did that supper thing in the hospital too. It was so nice!

Terri D said...

The beaters on your new mixer do look a little strange. I'm glad they worked better with all the ingredients in the bowl. You are the queen of chocolate chip cookies, I think! Have fun with your girls!!