summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Sunday, March 20, 2022

springing into the best part of the year...

 Oh spring, with your broken promises!  From Birkenstocks to boots, and back again.  Should we put the shovels away?  Of course not, it isn't May!

Today was chilly and rainy, and brrr, I wore my Birkenstocks to church.  

We've been doing this thing after our church meeting, where someone volunteers to make a meal, the rest of us donate, and all the money goes to fundraising/youth fund.  This week Benjamin and Ashley made lasagna.  They went all out:  garlic bread, and a garden salad with all the good veggies, set up like a salad bar.  It was fabulous.  The young girls also run a coffee bar, so we can sit and talk and sip...the smell of coffee along just invites fellowship.  Margaret made vanilla/cake batter cupcakes with birdnests and Easter candy eggs on top, I made chocolate cupcakes with peanut butter buttercream frosting and Reeses's Pieces on top...


(We donate them, and the girls sell them with the coffee)

Later in the day, after dropping dinner off to Emily, Abigail, and Mariel, Margaret and Adrian came to visit with Wulf and Tennyson.  We put some chicken drumsticks in the oven.  When they were done, I put barbecue sauce all over them, and turned the oven to broil.  Mmmm, and better than standing in the rain and grilling.  Fries in the air fryer, sliced cucumbers, and a simple dinner after a scrumptious lunch.

Wulf took some pictures with my phone...Tennyson likes to get in my chair when I vacate it...he sits here saying rock rock, rock rock....he also tried to get my computer out a few times...once when I wasn't paying attention, he got it out and carried it across the room, oops!  He dumped some blocks in my chair, too.
Wulf took some pictures of me, too...
This lovely one...

Having grandchildren is like a second chance to get more patience.  It's also a blessing, full of hugs and love and adoration.  Those kids are just so precious.  I saw Anya and Elise today, and those little girls are huggers.  I told Anya that when she sneaked up and hugged me today, it was like deja vous from when Camille was her age, just a few short years ago, as she always came up and hugged me.  Oh, it goes by too fast.

One of my favorite part of having a lot of kids was dressing them nicely.  Having eleven daughters was extra special, because we all know it's more fun to buy for girls.  The boys were always spiffy too, but you know what I mean.   Now the kids have grown up, and I barely dare to pick out clothes for them, but yay! I have grandchildren!   I like to buy them clothes!  I like to buy them trinkets and toys, but try really hard not to spoil them.  

Paul went to the Dollar General for something today, and came home with a Matchbox truck for Wulf.  :). It's too much fun.

Next weekend we're having Wulf's birthday celebration here.  Hopefully the Covid is done with us by then.... 




7 comments:

Diana said...

I like Dollar Tree for last minutes trinkets for the 3-year-old grandson... they even have Hot Wheels track pieces (since he wears his out so quickly lol). And once in a while I'll grab a Matchbox car for him. Just lotsa little toys, and stickers because he loves things like that so much. I grew up in a neighborhood of all boys, so I learned how to fix cars, build cars, play basketball, and all that. No girls anywhere close until mu last year of high school and then it didn't matter. I only had my two boys... so I had a houseful of boys constantly... I've been called "mom" by more boys in my lifetime than my own lol. I was never around girls until my granddaughters... now THAT was a learning experience lol. Somehow taking care of boys and doing the boy things is easier - and preferable - for me than girl stuff, and I'm just not into girly stuff myself (I don't even own a dress and haven't for decades). Guess it was because of my growing up years and then raising them and all their friends lol. Have a blessed week, Della!

16 blessings'mom said...

Diana, I grew up with one sister, Cheryl, who was the oldest and ten years older than I. We had four brothers between us, then a brother younger than me. So with those five brothers, I was also quite the tomboy. I loved climbing trees, wrestling, and lifting weights with them. I didn't know they had hot wheels track at the Dollar Tree, I'll have to check it out! The little boys just love their cars and tractors...we still have some left from our boys, plus the ones I still pick up from the thrift stores...and Paul drags it all out for them when they visit, so it's mayhem like the old days.

Linda said...

I am far behind in visiting here. Yes, the weather changed drastically I went into work yesterday it was like 55 and came out 8 hours later and it was like 35. sigh.

Billie Jo said...

You are the happiest, loveliest, and funniest ever! I will be right down for one of your cupcakes! So I guess you will have to make some more, K? I agree about clothes for kids. How I miss dressing Flynn in precious dresses with matching hair bows. Sigh. But, it is fun to watch her explore and develop her own sense of style too. Which is similar to my own. Sweats and t-shirts! Have a wonderful day with your people!

Terri D said...

You always offer us such a fun post! Busy, busy, and having so much fun! Your kids and grands are so blessed to have you two as grandparents!! xo

Unknown said...

Hi Della 👋 Well I have to say it’s not warm enough up here in the frozen north for sandals yet………I wish!! The forecast for Thursday is 17C…….that’s 63F! I’ll believe it when I see it. I love the photos Wulf took…..how cute. Those cup cakes look so delicious 🤤 I haven made cupcakes forever!! Come to think of it I haven’t made a cake since last summer…….
I make muffins for us to have with our afternoon coffee. I looked up recipes for honey cakes and I’m going to make one of those at Easter I think. Have you ever made one? I found several gluten free ones and they sure sound good. How lovely you have such a delicious lunch after church. How many people do you get for lunch? Such a great way to socialize AND raise money for the youth.

I am getting VERY excited about my trip to Kona. We drive to Calgary on Saturday and fly out Sunday 🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳

Have a wonderful day!

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

16 blessings'mom said...

Marilyn, I even wore my sandals today, 45 degrees (7.2c) out! But it was sunny! `I don't even know if the cupcakes were good, I didn't taste them. I have never made a honey cake, but it sounds mighty dangerous! For me, things like that, along with pumpkin stuff, spiced cake, anything apple with cinnamon, ect. are very dangerous, ha. Sunday lunch this past week was only 30 or so, there has been some sickness going around, sometimes there can be 60 or more. I am excited for you too, yay, Hawaii!!!! I can't wait to hear about it! I almost went two different times, one of these days! Have a good day!