summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, March 9, 2022

ha, actually...

 ...our anniversary is TODAY.  We're old.  Well, Paul is old.  I'm blaming this one on him.  Yesterday morning, he gave me a hug as we both found ourselves making coffees at the same time, and said, "I guess it's our anniversary!"  Oh no, I said, it's tomorrow.  No, he said, it's today, then Molly's birthday, right?  oh, I guess you're right, I said.  So I posted my Happy Anniversary to Us post, and all day long, told anyone who cared, even those who didn't, that it was our anniversary.  

But things just didn't add up.  Molly's husband posted a birthday post...hmm, a day before her birthday.  I KNOW when Molly's birthday is!  I know when our anniversary is!  Why did I get mixed up then?  Simple:  Paul's old!

The story is:  way back when, we had our seventh child, little Molly Rose (it was an amazing birth.  The dr. was concerned about her not responding so well in a non-stress test, so wanted me to be induced first thing the next morning (March EIGHTH), so up to the hospital we trudged, in the wee morning hours.  The Pitocin was hooked up, and turned up, but I didn't get to more than four centimeters...at around four in the afternoon, I called my sister and reported my lack of progress...she must have prayed for me, because Molly Rose was born at 5:10 in the afternoon, with maybe two pushes...it was just the EASIEST birth.  (and with no pain meds). The dr said, "God wants you to have babies, Della."  (I always tell Molly that the first word she ever heard was, "God".). 

Anyway.  The very next day was our tenth wedding anniversary.  I was all of 28 years old, the same age Molly is now, when she was born.  Anyway, back then our hospital had a special dinner for new moms and spouses after their babies were born, in a nice dining room, with soft music and soft lighting.  We could choose our entrees, mmm,  roast beef!  The nurses would take care of the babies, and we could enjoy a meal for the last time in like 18 years, or in my case, over 20 years, ha.  

So today I explained to Paul how he messed up, but it was okay, because today was day two of our anniversary, we got to celebrate twice!  Just so you know, we didn't celebrate at all.  :).   All he said was, "We need the pillow."  (My sister made us a lovely pillow with our wedding date on it, the marriage has survived and thrived, but the pillow succumbed to something or other along the way.)

This fine day, I was all ready to spend at home again, so we can save gas money, also because if I did go anywhere I would have to walk.  The truck was in the shop, and Sonja was at the hospital with my car.  So I puttered around, swept and cleaned a bit, then was just settling down with a second cup of coffee when Abigail called:  did I want to go with her to Aldi and Target?  mmm, yup, give me five minutes.

We had to pick out some birthday gifts for a friend, then we meandered up and down the aisles.  There was a 20% off of any one toy, and I wanted a new toy, but I'm a grown up lady, and don't really need any toys, so I didn't get one.  (I wanted more LilWoodzeez).  (I bring them to activity club and the kids love them, I do too).  We got coffees from Starbucks on the way out of the store, then oooh, it was snowing out like crazy!  We went to Aldi, and wow...I had to get the food for this weekend, 13 of us girls going to an airbnb in the Finger Lakes:  Friday dinner, Saturday and Sunday brekky, charcuterie for Saturday's lunch, and steak and chicken fajitas fixings for Saturday's dinner.  phew.  I had a budget of $360, and spent $362. Not too shabby.   

I had planned on doing all of this tomorrow, because Sonja carpools with a friend on Thursdays, but now I don't have to go out again.  The price of gas is insane.  

So today Camille and I decided to make chicken curry for dinner.  I made dough for the naan bread, put it in the oven to rise, then cubed up the chicken.  Cam chopped onion, we browned it up in olive oil, added the chicken, and Cam added in the spices:  curry powder, ginger, cumin, turmeric, garlic, salt and pepper.  We stirred in the diced tomatoes, coconut milk, chicken broth, and some tomato paste.  It simmered for an hour, and I made the naan bread:  the panini press all heated up, sprayed with non-stick spray, little hunks of dough at a time, and mmm, naan bread!  I sprinkled salt and garlic on it when it came out of the press...so good!  I don't EAT bread, but I tasted it, and tasted it again, darn it, why is it so good?

Ah well.  It was a good day, our second anniversary day.

Elise...such a cutie.
Suri...was she actually comfortable resting her head on that rung?
Sunny-dum-dums....so cute.


1 comment:

Terri D said...

Happy anniversary! I think it is perfectly fine to celebrate any special day during the entire month so keep going! It is always an adventure here!! Your food sounds delish! Enjoy your day with no place to go!