summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, March 8, 2022

where on earth has the time gone?

 

38 years ago today, on a relatively mild and rainy Friday evening, we got married in his mom's living room.  It wasn't the wedding I had always dreamed of, but I did marry the guy I had always dreamed of.  

Did we not even think to have a nice background! ?  :)
I didn't wear a single drop of make up...
My dad...




With Kim, my bestie, maid of honor....
My mom and Paul's mom...
This is my brother Bill, the one who died...of a self-inflicted gunshot...he died 13 years ago Sunday, a day which is so close to our anniversary, and so raw still.
Paul's parents, and mine.
This was a little reception his mom threw for us a few weeks later.

This was probably right after I dropped a saucy meatball on my lap and it rolled all the way down my dress.  Paul's mom strongly suggested I get up and say thank you and goodbye to the guests (I didn't know most of them, they were her friends, but they were super nice and good to us!).  I had to tell her I dropped the meatball...oh dear.  I was starting out right!

So we've survived and thrived, despite my $13 dress and two dollar hat and our living room wedding, and wedding pics taken with a Kodak 110.  Marriage isn't just a straight line of happiness, it twists and turns, with misunderstandings and hurt feelings and differing expectations.  It's a work, in all those things, to forgive and forget and let love cover a multitude of sins.  I can honestly say that I love him more now, and am extremely thankful for him.  

Today is a watching-Elise day.  Ashley is due for their little baby boy next month, and has appointments every week...so I get to play with Elise!  We're making cookies today, to bring to activity club tonight...


9 comments:

Billie Jo said...

Happy And Blessed Anniversary! What a beautiful bride you were and what a perfect wedding you had! Honestly, Steve and I say all the time, had we to do it all again, we would do it your way! Our day was lovely, and we were very grateful to our parents, but it really was their friends and family. Do I sound ungrateful???? We were so young. I would have loved to have your wedding day, my dear friend. But in the end, it is but a day. Marriage is every day after. And I think we both are truly blessed in that department! Hugs!

Jan said...

Happy Anniversary!

Mari said...

Happy Anniversary! I love the way you are looking at him in those pics. We celebrated 40 years last August. God is good!

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary.

Erka

American Housewife said...


Oh Happy Anniversary!!! This was so sweet. And note the way you are typically looking up at Paul in many of the photos. You can tell you were smitten. ;)

Betty said...

Happy anniversary wishing you many more years of continued happiness

Unknown said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY πŸ₯³πŸ₯³πŸ₯³πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•

You both look so young, but I guess we all did eh? I think you look lovely πŸ₯° My first wedding (my husband passed away 28 years ago) was small as well. The service was in a church and then we had a reception at my sister in laws house and my husbands grandmother catered it. Just beautiful. Just mostly family as I was new to the country. Anyway it’s the marriage that’s the most important. My second wedding was lovely as well. A little more grand I guess, all our kids and grandkids and many friends too. It was a big party and that’s what we just what we wanted. There dwas a big playground at the lovely hall we rented and all the kids were entertained out there.

I hope you had fun with Elise. I think she looks like Camille? Adorable of course.

Marilyn from Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦

Valerie said...

Happy anniversary! Was there a reason for the simple wedding? You said it wasn't how you had planned.
You make me laugh when you talk about the stink bugs! I guess there are giant spiders arriving here soon - that will make us wish for the stink bugs to be our biggest problem, ha.
Good times!
Valerie

Joybells said...

Oh I enjoyed seeing these pictures!! And especially the way you looked at Paul. ❤ The wedding day is just a day, but the key is to marry the right guy. Cheers to good husbands!! Happy anniversary!

Joy from Salem