summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Friday, October 22, 2010

chilly morning, cold feet...

And this isn't even the beginning of it. Winter is coming. Like Martha said, it isn't even snowing here and the feet are cold. It looks like snowy-rain is coming down right now, but there is nothing on the ground but soaking wet leaves. It is grey and overcast, and the lights are on as the kids get ready to go out to the bus. My slippers have not magically appeared, since no one taken them, no one can give them back, I guess....

Yesterday afternoon I went on a small outing with Benjamin, Charlotte Claire, and Camille. We went to the bank so Ben could open an account to have his military pay direct -deposited. This was more interesting than it sounds because:

1. Benjamin used to have an account at this bank a few years ago, and closed it out because he kept overdrawing and the fees were killing him.

2. He opened an account a different bank and over drew there too, apparently.

3. He paid off the overdrafts long ago, except for a fee of $6.67.

4. Because of these things, he is not allowed to open a bank account again for like three more years.

5. The nice woman at the bank somehow was able to over-ride this because Ben is going in the Army.

6. She told him he better take good care of this account "or else".

7. The two little girls had lollipops from the teller. Camille got her hands sticky, which she usually doesn't do, and touched the little glass separation wall about twenty times. She seriouslly decorated it with sticky handprints.

8. Mirielle, who was home with the other kids, texted me the urgent message, "CALL MY PHONE NOW!" I left the bank with the two little girls, and called her three times from the van, call s wouldn't go through. I was really concerned something was wrong...I texted her, and found out that she was just frustrated because Margaret was tired and cranky and went and got in bed instead of helping Mirielle. rrr.

So after that my outing went fine....I stopped and got them cheeseburgers to keep them busy while I went into the best dollar store in the world all by myself. Here is what I got:

1. Several bags of Treasures, chocolate peanut butter.

2. A few (five) bags of chocolate covered almonds.

3. Butterfly wings for the two little princesses to wear on Halloween.

4. Three pairs of sunglasses for costume use...seventies style, eighties style.

I must have gotten a few more things, as I spent $24 in there.

So yesterday I got a lot of things accomplished. I want to note that, because most of those things are gone and history and undone today. But I do derive some strange satisfaction from knowing the couches and chairs are clean underneath. So if someone drops in for a visit and loses their keys or wallet, I can say, "Oh, we can just check under the couch....", and it will be all clean under there. Of course it won't happen like that, no one will lose anything until it is all dog-furry and filled with pencils and candy wrappers and pennies and hair ponies and matchbox cars again.

Most of those things have to be done again today. I need to sort our the coat/shoes area to make room for winter stuff, blah. One of the things I did yesterday was to sit down in the midst of the dollhouse stuff, and sort and pick up things that didn't belong, and tidy up over there. Then last night Paul was walking over where it was somehow all out again, and he commented on the mess.....I told him, just so he knew, how I had spent at least 45 minutes over there cleaning up and organizing that stuff, and they took it all out again......minus of course the cars and books and socks that somehow get mixed in to it.

I know he knows I don't just sit around ALL day, but I also know he would trade places with me any day. Because whenever I complain, he tells me that. I am glad I am the one home. It might not be spotless, but at least I don't throw everything away like he would. And I get to be with the kids....I can't imagine leaving them every day. Yesteday Samuel slept in and missed the bus, and his mama didn't even notice that he wasn't with the other first trippers, so when he woke up and came into the livingroom later, I was surprised! Anyway, he stayed home and it was so nice to have that time with him. He helped with moving the furniture to clean under it, and he took the dog out a few times, and he talked to me and we just had a good time.

Camille is awake now, singing in her room. She hasn't started her shouting out for someone to come get her yet. (she is probably in my bathroom having a good old time with my lotion or the toothpaste, or unwrapping pads....). Rosie is lying here sleeping, the dryer is going, the rain is dripping outside, I could just curl up and go back to sleep. But no, I have to get up and get moving. I am going to go to the store with the little girls this morning. We need milk again. And some fresh stuff for salads, and some apples. Some people around here eat two apples a day. If you do the math, it will become apparent that apples last approximately three days here.

2 comments:

Martha said...

You always make me smile.

Karen said...

My husband says he would swap too...but when I had baby in the hospital for 3 days last year he was quite ready to go back to work...