summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

the tooth fairy brought jon some pink goggles...

But hey, she remembered the first night rather than the usual four! And in her defense, it was dark as she rummaged around in the Target bag in the closet and Camille was sleeping so she had to just take the first pair she found....

Today is our Skip School Day, I guess....Suzanne threw up last night. She is such a lovely mature girl, though. She informed me that the night before she wasn't feeling well, so she moved all of her nice dollies and books to the other end of the bed, so she wouldn't barf on them. Anyway, I knew she wasn't going this morning, and Sonja has been complaining of headaches, which have signaled the start of this sickness in the other kids...and Jon was not going to go alone, plus he still has that cough....so, the second trip bus came and went without any of my kids. Now they are all cuddled up under blankets watching, "The Cat In The Hat"......

general update on everyone....

Paul, the dad around here: He doesn't get much free time, but he is a happy man. He always stops what he's doing and reads to the kids and helps tuck them in at night (the kids call it being, "talked in", which I do not want to correct, it is too cute....) Anyway, Paul is a living example of the verse in Romans (8:28), that God causes all things to work together for the good for those who love Him...he does not fight, does not argue, he gives and blesses.

Me, the mom around here: I am learning to lift my vision upwards, think before I speak, and to hate my complaining. I am learning to live peaceably with the children, especially the teenagers. That involves learning to NOT argue with them, yet not just letting things go because it is the easy way out....discipline with love and care that isn't tainted by my own personal offendedness....

Emily,the nurse, the oldest who lives down the road: She has her father's easygoing nature.She and I read the same books, so when we are together we never run out of things to talk about. She loves God and is faithful and good, yet she is her own person......

Abigail, the accountant, the second oldest who lives with Emily: Abigail does not have an easygoing nature. She worries about things. She has grown up with pulimary stenosis, which is basically a blockage in her pulminary artery. She grew up visiting the pediatric cardiologist, being measured and sonogramed, and ultimately declared okay: she has grown in proportion to the blockage, it produces a horribles sounding heart murmur, doesn't hurt anything. This whole thing has caused her anxiety, and she still has chest pain that scares her sometimes....she is a good girl, though, very thoughtful and kind.....

Benjamin, the oldest boy, who still lives here: he is doing better. He has 34 days to go 'til he ships out with the Army, and he is looking forward to it. He is bound and determined to live an upright life and be sucessful. He has been busy getting things in order so he can leave....

Mirielle, my college commuter: She bakes and cooks and helps around here the most, she feels responsibility to do so, yet she fervently believes in equality, and expects the boys to do their fair share of dishes and sweeping. She is extremely smart and creative and interesting, yet has such a low opinion of herself. She doesn't realize at how beautiful she really is.

Joseph, my creative son: He is finished painting his room dark brown, it is actually very warmish in there.....he is working today, he is to become an apprentice in heating and cooling. He spends his free time playing his guitar and drawing....he is a very nice boy, very respectful, very kind, and never gives us any trouble at all.

Aaron, my high school senior: He is funny and sarcastic yet kind. He gets excellent grades and is very responsible. He pitches in around here, but not without his signature groan....he also likes to cook, but mostly because he likes to eat yummy stuff.

Mali, my other high school senior: She has enjoyed running cross country, but the season is winding down....she likes to keep in shape and she loves to run, so she will have to get creative....she is still vegetarian, we do what we can to provide nice healthy alternatives to our carniverous meals.

Samuel, my ninth grader: Still obsessed with WorldWar II, he has been known to correct the teachers' facts on this. He is also bound and determined to do well in school this year, and spends many hours doing homework. He is hilariously funny, he is "The Narrator" of the dinner table.....and, he hates being patted on the back.

Margaret, my eighth grader: My curly haired lovely girl, she is strong willed and difficult, we tend to butt heads if we're not careful, but we are so much alike! She is very mature, she has always been grown up. She gets excellent grades, and can play the piano like a dream. She can also sing, which I cannot do for the life of me. Yet I do, much to my talented children's protests...

Kathryn, my seventh grader: She is very busy and athletic, very understanding and helpful, yet she is growing up and is sometimes snappy, but always apologetic later. She is still very huggy, and she loves her brothers and sisters so much.

Evelyn, my fifth grader: She is dramatic. She can go from zero to wailing in two seconds flat. She talks loudly and is enthusiastic about everything. She is very smart, and is still at that awkward 'tween age, where they like to do their own hair, yet...she is only eleven years old, but she can read a book in a day.

Suzanne, my fourth grader: Suze is kind and caring and a natural comforter. She loves to take care of the younger kids. She also is a story writer and a pillow maker, and she loves to play dollies with the younger ones. She is home today, doing a book report on "Double Fudge", just for fun.

Sonja, my third grader: Sonja is still my baby, even though she is eight years old. She is funny and smart and silly and whiny and her red hair is always tangly and she tends to be more needy and not as sure of herself as some of the others. She can be very stubborn, but she is also my big cuddler.....she loves lots of attention, and she gets it.

Jonathan, my first grader: He is of course obsessed with cars. He has figured out that the new Hess truck will be unveiled in a week and two days, so he has written a sentance about it, that is coming out in nine days. So he knows the concept of math and numbers and time, and he is learning to read and write. He is as happy as can be to be home today. He is giving cereal to his two little sisters right now, he loves to be the big brother.

Charlotte Claire, my four year old: She is very articulate, she is almost always happy and optimistic and can keep herself busy. She goes from playing dollhouse to dollies to drawing, and loves when Jon stays home to play with her.

Camille, my sweet little baby, almost three, wah: Miss Camille is still so cuddly! She can be stubborn and strong willed, but she is this little person, this girl who speaks in complete sentences, and has a mind of her own. She is also obsessive about cereal, she wants some every few hours. When she wants something, she asks over and over again. Yesterday she wanted chocolate cereal, which we did not have. She asked me so many times I was tempted to put her out on the deck. She thinks if she keeps asking it will magically appear.

So even though the house is a mess, again, I am thankful today.

1 comment:

Tereza said...

what a great bunch of individuals!! They all have their own peronality and looks don't they? When my 9th was born she looked so different as a new baby.. I was kind of shocked and scared. She just didn't seem to "fit" into the mold of our family...into what I was used to and I thought maybe she looked so different than the rest of my babies because we've had too many:) and something was wrong. (she had a super narrow face at first...I nicknamed her peanut)(I was used to round faced babies that looked like they could be baby models) Now I know that all it was was that we were getting some variety!:):) They are all individuals...it's so beautiful to see each be their own person. )btw there is nothing wrong with her she is healthy and thriving and 2 years old today...she looks like her oldest sibling now and everyone loves that she is so different and much like the very first child in the group!)
anyhow...totally rambling here..sorry. I enjoyed hearing about each of your children!