summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, October 21, 2010

quiet and cozy....

Today is Garbage Day, so I have to make sure I keep the big dangerous Rosie in the house. She is sleeping like a sweetie in her cage right now. She likes her cage. We put her in there before the bus comes in the morning so she doesn't sneak out with the kids and chase that big monster that steals them. She will go willingly into her cage when told, if the door is open. She will also open the door the rest of the way and go in if it is open a little bit. No, stupidity isn't one of her problems. Just selective listening.



Camille is yelling for me to get her up. She is so independent, but she cannot come out in the morning without someone going in there to get her. She will just yell, "I want to get up!" until she is rescued.



Last night's dinner was a feast. Emily came over after her class. We had roasted chicken, scalloped potatoes (I used a five pound bag of potatoes, it was barely enough), and tossed salad. Then for dessert, Mirielle's chocolate cake with peanut butter frosting, covered with chocolate glaze....oh my goodness.....she makes these chocolate cakes from scratch, always trying to make the perfect one. This one was pretty good. Rich and moist, but not sickenly so. I had a small piece, but as we sat there talking, I found myself scanning the table for remains left by the younger ones who were bouncing around in the living room.......but Aaron got Charlotte Claire's, and Camille and Jon ate all of theirs. I really did not need any more, but it was so good. Suzanne did us all a favor and ate the last piece this morning.

It is a big job to make and serve dinner every night. As we sat around at the table, I just looked around and groaned. Plates and cups and forks for sixteen people, plus the cake plates...then the pans and serving dishes....yes, they do pitch in. No one had to leave and go anywhere after dinner, so they were all here to help, and it went quickly. There is only one pan left out there, I told them I would wash it this morning. Not too bad. And sitting at the table together is most certainly the highlight of our day.

Emily is going to India! I am not going with her. She is going in December, and unfortunately will return on Christmas Day, only to go to work that evening. Oh well, we can celebrate together sometime after. Benjamin will be gone before Thanksgiving, to Basic Training, so we will celebrate that early with him. We should try to get a family picture that day, too.

Samuel is home today. He has no idea why his alarm didn't go off, and I have no idea why I didn't notice he wasn't up with the other kids this morning. Probably because some of them go to the gym early with Mirielle, and because Joseph was up getting ready for work, and I was trying to let him take the last cup of coffee in the pot, I told him I could make another....he insisted on giving it to me, he made instant for himself. Such a good kid.

One of the things on my to-do list is to call this place that sells firewood, and arrange to pick some up. Our furnace burns both wood and oil, and wood is way cheaper. It also makes it so nice and toasty in here to have a wood fire going.

Winter is coming, blah. The snow is all festive and pretty when one is in the house with nowhere to go, but going down the slippery deck steps, getting the big van out of the icy driveway, and navigating the back roads in the snow and blowing snow and ice......cold and scary. I know it is a fact of life when one lives in lake-effect snow country, but it still isn't fun. Well, sort of fun. Fun when there is a snow day! (day off from school because of too much snow)

Winter brings the challenge of making sure the kids all have boots and snowpants and mittens and hats and warm coats without broken zippers. Winter also means that all of these things have to somehow fit into our already crowded entranceway, which is really just some hooks on the kitchen wall, with a shoe shelf. I suppose I can make it easier by packing away the sandals, but in they still wear them sometimes!

Today I am going to expend some energy again. I will do the same things I did yesterday, more or less. Since Sam accidentally stayed home, he is going to give the little girls breakfast for me so I can get moving.

4 comments:

Virginia Revoir said...

That is soooo cute of Camille! Way adorable. :)

I don't know how you keep up. I only have 6 and I feel like I'm cleaning allll the time. I LOVE having my family and hope to have more. I just don't know how to stay where the house is managable and they don't make big messes. They have chores but things can still get out of hand. Maybe I am too hard on myself.

Tereza said...

space is always a challenge. I don't envy your winters!Brrrrrrrrr:)
I'd love to "see your house"...a house tour? But that might not be something you want to post...up to you. anyway I'm always curious how you make it work with so many people in one house:)

Well enjoy this snow free day...or do you already have snow?

Martha said...

My feet are already cold and it isn't even snowing yet.

mommeeof10 said...

We had our first fire in the Pot Belly stove last night. It was warm in the dining room at least. I haven't turned the boiler on yet. I need to schedule the maintenance on the oil boiler, but first need to clear a path across the sun porch so we can get to the basement door. It tends to be a catch all place for everything on its way to the workshop, the basement or that kids don't know where it belongs.