summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, March 28, 2011

clean the laundry room? are you kidding me?

When I say that a week or more ago my whole house was clean...I didn't mean the laundry room, too. No, that room is my arch-enemy. The thorn in my side, my perpetual trial. I hang up the bye-bye clothes. I have baskets for matched socks and unmatched socks. I have bathing suit and underwear baskets. I have piles of stuff. I have five hampers, supposedly for whites, colors, ect. But they are all mixed up. Because a plan is only as good as the execution of the plan. So. I have a million excuses, but even to me they sound lame (it's not my fault! I never have time to put things properly away! I hate to bug the kids about putting things in the right hamper!) Then there are the legitimate excuses which have no solutions: too many people using one washing machine and one dryer, which has been taking half the day to dry a load. I have to wait my turn to use it, which is NOT fair. I then tend to wash the things that are most iminent to have clean, and things pile up that aren't so important....blah. Then it becomes time to clean out those hampers again, clean up the floor (seems like I JUST DID ALL OF THIS)..... If only I didn't have any bed wetters. If only I had a bigger laundry room. If only I wasn't so lazy. Wait, I think I found the REAL problem. So today I get to battle my horrible laziness and clean that laundry room up for once and for all, and this time I shall keep it spotless. If even a sock falls to the floor, I shall scoop it up and put it in its' proper place. It's a losing battle, I tell you. The kids' rooms, which I cleaned and organized and made nice...ha. I need a few more of ME. One to sit here and blog, of course. And a few to go into those rooms a few times a day and pick up those dirty socks and put duplos back on the shelf and scoop up the school clothes on the floor...... I was mean this morning. I nicely told the kids as I woke them for school that they need to pick up their room this afternoon before they do anything. It isn't what they want to hear first thing Monday morning, so I made the statement then just dropped it. All three of them needed showers as it was, so I didn't need to add any more stress. Hilarious stuff: my son Aaron is 18, and a senior. He is in the school play, which will be performed this coming weekend. Mali, 17 and also a senior, is helping with the play, doing lighting. Anyway, the drama teacher/play director is also the English teacher, and the mom of one of the younger girls' friend...so she knows we have lots of kids. Well....she offered that our family come to the dress rehearsal because it would cost so much money for tickets, which it would at seven dollars each. Mali didn't want Aaron to tell me of that nice little offer. But he did, reluctantly. I pretended it was a grand idea. He seemed mildy mortified. Can you imagine if our whole family sat in on that dress rehearsal, how embarrassing it would be to them? Not just because of the whole...um, "charity case" thing, but that we would be the only ones there....no, I can't do that to them. Just can't. (but I do think the teacher was very kind and thoughtful to offer) So we have to decide who to take to the play. Lots of things are coming up....some of the girls are taking a youth trip to Detroit. My niece is getting married and we are going to her wedding shower soon. Another niece is having a special birthday party at a gymnastics place, I am making cupcakes for her. Paul is going to Boston again in a few weeks for 8 or nine days. I am making the WEDDING cupcakes for the niece who is getting married. Easter is approaching and I have zero candy in my closet. I want to paint the foyer. But today: laundry room. I wish I could just fast forward to the room being all clean. blah. There is no way around it, only through it. And the thing about doing a project like that is everything else around here goes to heck while I am so busy....the things I usually do on a Monday will not get done...like...well, the things I usually do.

7 comments:

Angela said...

We were just having the same conversation a few days ago about the things I could accomplish with a few more of "me!" I tell you, I'd be unstoppable!

Mum said...

Oh hun, you are already super woman! The way you take time to connect with your children, and share so many happy days with them.... those far out weigh any laundry room floor. What child thinks back to their childhood and even remembers the washing machine? I have only four children, and I struggle... really STRUGGLE to keep on top of laundry. I can keep it all clean and dry (we don't have a dryer so it's all hung to dry) but the ironing, folding, and putting away... well in this house there is only 1 dirty laundry basket... and 'hangs head in shame' 3 clean laundry baskets. I take Friday evening to iron fold and put away all the clean laundry accumulated through the week. But in between... in my home on a Wednesday, well it's not pretty. You are doing such an awesome job, and thank you for sharing your days. I find so much inspiration in your posts. Good luck on your laundry room.

Tereza said...

Good luck with the laundry room! I was in mine yesterday! It's a big job!

Martha said...

I feel for you, but I can't find you in all that laundry. ;)

Seriously, I had half the number of children you do, they've moved out at younger ages, and I still felt overwhelmed by the laundry monster. Couldn't your older ones maybe do theirs at the laundromat once a week?

Mike and Katie said...

That's great about the rehersal and you are a good mom for declining the offer. I'm not sure I could resist. ;)

Virginia Revoir said...

Wow, I know how you feel about the laundry stuff. Another thing is that is seems that I clean and clean in vain because over the weekend, it's right back to where I started. So messy! I try so hard and sometimes Mondays are just a down day for me because I get discouraged. Hopefully tomorrow I'll be encouraged again to attack it all.

Virginia Revoir said...

I LOVED Ashley's comment. :)