summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, March 14, 2011

stuck at home...

Literally. Last week, when it was still winter, I so responsibly backed the big van into the drive way, they way I always do in the winter, so it is easier to get out with snow and ice....well. The snow and ice melted, and where is the van parked? Three wheels on the driveway, and one....on the YARD. The yard is not snow and ice anymore. It is MUD. So....when Kim and I had our bright idea to bring ten of our children on a little adventure last evening, blah, that one van tire could not find traction, so I brilliantly backed up a little, thinking I could then pull forward...no go. I was stuck. Sam and Kim pushed while I tried to go forward more, but all we did was spray mud and get the van in a little deeper. I hate being such a girl. If you are reading this, dear Paul, do not shake your head at me. Just think, we didn't go on our adventure so we saved money!

So I am stuck here at home, which is fine with me. Mirielle and Joseph took the minivan to college today, and I only have the Old Goldie, who still hasn't had her power steering fixed.

Not that I don't have anything to do. I am planning to stock up on lightbulbs soon. Here in the good ol' U.S. of A., land of the free, regular old lightbulbs are soon to be outlawed. 100 watt bulbs first, then down the line. We can still use them, we just won't be able to purchase them. No, we shall be forced to buy the new expensive energy efficient ones, that contain small amounts of mercury, but we are reassured that they aren't dangerous unless many of them are broken in an an enclosed space. Well obviously these experts have not been to my house. The leading cause of lightbulb replacement here is when the lamp tips over and breaks the bulb. We have zoomed through several of these newfangled expensive longlasting bulbs this way. So for us, the new law just means it will cost way more to tip over the lamp.

And, the federal government wants to limit how much the banks can charge the merchants to swipe cards at the register....blah. Banks will lose millions. Leave well enough alone, please Mr. Government. The merchants already pass the costs to the consumer. What's the problem?

Oh, the problems in the world. Just think if each and every single person suddenly had a desire to be truthful and good and bless the others first and foremost....to be giving and caring and thoughtful and upright. No more war, no more theft or murder or divorce or unfaithfulness...

The time change is killing me. Well, making me tired, anyway. The kids were zombies this morning. They all went to school, but they were dragging. They got up at seven thirty, but it was like getting up at 6 thirty. I almost always wake up at six thirty, then I get to fall back to sleep for a bit...but this morning, I woke up and had to get up...so I missed my little nap. I don't use an alarm clock, I just wake up when I am supposed to somehow. Most of the time.

March is my least favorite month, thanks to the school. They have this reading program...not that I don't like reading to the kids, I just don't like having to remember to document what we read and for how long and sign my name, each and every night. For the whole month. If we don't participate, the children don't get their prizes....so this morning I found myself reading a book to Jon since we didn't get to it last night. It was nice WAS nice and cuddly though. And it isn't so bad, now that we only have three kids in the elementary school. And no babies or toddlers here, which makes everything easier. (and it goes without saying that I would rather have the babies and toddlers than have things easier....)

If I were to repaint my living room, what color would I paint it? That is the big question. My couches are red with a beige and a tiny bit of green plaid, and solid beige....the kitchen is pale yellow, "buttercream" actually. I could extend that color to the living room. Or I could paint the walls a lightish brown or dark beige, but then light colored couch would blend into the walls....I don't want it to be to dark in here, either. And I don't like reds enough to use on the walls....I actually don't like red furniture, either, but for some reason I bought it so I am stuck with it for a while. I wasted all kinds of time online last night, changing the colors on the walls of a livingroom prototype....all I got was more puzzled.

Camille had a nice sleep. She says she dreamed about the Ariel high heels, that they weren't broken.

She is cuddled up to me, but alas, she smells like pee, so she and Charlotte Claire shall have a nice warm bath.....

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I remember those muddy days with dirty snow and messy streets from all the sanding the roads all winter long:( yuck!
But days spent at home are nice too.
Love this blog and check in daily to hear all about your adventures:))
Lara in Hawaii
Btw earthquakes, tidal waves and volcanoes have their downside as well, hahaha and then I miss the east coast!!!

mommeeof10 said...

I got my van stuck in the middle school driveway a few weeks ago. It is only paved 1 1/2 lanes wide, yet they use it for 2 lanes, sending parents around both sides of the school for afternoon pick up time. Thankfully, I have traction control on big red, so was able to engage it and send all the power to the rear wheel still on the pavement....