summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Friday, March 4, 2011

friday again....

And yes, I did have a cupcake with my coffee just now....blah, I was hoping the big kids would eat them all up this morning. I shall have no more, I shall put them away where I can't see them, and give them to kids when they get home from school. Camille just finished the frosting off the top of hers, she will be asking for another one soon.

Sonja K. is home today. I have been much better about sending the kids to school every day, but she banged her foot on the wall yesterday, and it is hurting SO badly...she took a shower this morning and got all dressed pretty, hair brushed and ready to go...then she said her foot hurt too much to put her shoe on....oh, the drama! She is good, really good. And here she sits, playing Barbies with the girls....and the good thing is, she assures me, that she CAN get her boots on, so she CAN go to the movies with us tonight, she just can't wear her sneakers. And she had gym today in school.

The movies....there is a "cheap" theater a ways from here, near the big city. $1.75 a ticket...the movie, "Tangled" is playing there tonight. Paul and the older kids are going to work at the Dome so I am thinking of taking a bunch of younger ones. Charlotte Claire and Camille have never been to a movie, we rarely go.

As Emily says, it is the little things in life that make kids happy.

Timmy is coming over today. Timmy is four and a half, but he is the baby of his family of eight children. He only has two sisters, who are 15 and 8, then five brothers. So he comes over here, and plays house with my two little princesses. They love having a "dad". They are very excited that he is coming to play. He has some speech delays, and can be difficult to understand. My girls are starting to understand this now, but when he first came over, Camille thought he was just kidding the way he was speaking, and kept telling him not to talk like a baby. I had to stop her fast!

Having older kids in the house is interesting. They don't just jump up and down about Mommy's good ideas, they have strong opinions and they know much much more than their Mommy does. They hog the washing machine and dryer, taking out loads that are in their way and heaping them onto the couch, they eat salads and hog up all the fresh produce within a few days, some of them eat all the ice cream, and some of them leave tea mugs and coffee cups all over the house. They are not gung-ho for those childhood favorite dinners anymore, like macaroni cheese and hot dogs or pancakes for dinner. They think nothing of using up tons of frozen strawberries to make one smoothie. They run on their own schedule, except for dinner time, which is universally respected here. They complain about gas prices, they let me buy clothes for them, then spend their own money on video games. And they are moody. I don't know if my comments will be laughed at or, they will be like, "Mom!!" I tell someone they look nice, and i hear, "MOM! I do not! You are just saying that!" But.....the joys outweigh these things. They are SO funny. They are my friends. They do things for me, they make me feel young.

My hands are cold. It is a balmy 31 degrees, but the wind is fierce. I took Miss Rosie out this morning, and haven't warmed up yet. I am thinking about my warm bed, but I cannot go climb into it. I have things to do. And princesses to watch.

4 comments:

noelle said...

I love reading your blog! I only have 6 children, ages 5-15. I feel the same way about keeping my little ones home....and my 9 year old LOVES to stay home with me whenever I will let her.

I am finding the same thing about my 2 oldest (almost 14 and 15) that you feel. They eat all the food, drink all the soda, can be hard to live with, but can be SOOOO much fun too.

Thanks for all your writing....I love to read about your days.

Virginia Revoir said...

Oh my gosh. I have 6 kids, 10 less than you, and my fridge is constantly emptied. I feel like I'm feeding a nation. Either they eat a lot or I'm not very good at getting good deals on food with my money. Do you mind if I ask how much it cost you a month for food? I spend about $1,000.

Nanny Debbie said...

you and your kids will LOVE tangled, I love it at 26yrs old and my best friends daughter loves it too and she is 4 !

mommeeof10 said...

I have to nag my kids to make sure everyone gets some of whatever treat I made. If one of the kids is not home at meal time, I try to save their dessert. It doesn't always work... Say I make applesauce spice cake. The kids do not like raisins or nuts, so I make most of the cupcakes plain, with a few for my lunches loaded with raisins and nuts. I also put nuts on the frosting to differential them. The kids eat all their cupcakes, then pick the nuts off the top of mine and complain they have nuts and raisins in them. :)