summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Saturday, October 1, 2011

feels like snow!

I suppose when we get a 48 degree day in January we will refer to it as the, "January Thaw", and it will feel wonderful, but today feels downright chilly. Rosie and I took our walk with the wind blowing and leaves swirling around our feet in the woods part. It was sprinkling out, and I wondered if we would be caught in a downpour. My hands were cold, and I had to wear legging under my shorts. (I don't have pants. Isn't that funny? None. Well, not really NONE, I bought a pair for the future, when I can squeeze into them.)

Four of the older kids went to work at the Dome for a football game. Margaret made pancakes for the little ones this morning to celebrate October first. Now they are playing Wii and playing in their rooms, and just mellowing out, glad to be in the nice cozy house and not at school. Camille has started this new thing where she cries really loud like a big baby when she doesn't get her way. Um, no. Perhaps it is a symptom of needing more attention, but I don't negotiate with terrorists. ha. So it has been interesting...it seems like I remember the other kids going through this when they were four, and Camille will be four in November.

The new foot pedal for my sewing machine came, I have yet to take it out and see if it is the right one. I would really like to hibernate and sew tons of stuff.

I have purple fabric for Camille's Rapunzel dress....I haven't sewn in a few years, hopefully I haven't forgotten how.

I remember the price I would pay to sew when the kids were younger and there were babies and napping toddlers...if all the stars were aligned right and the baby actually slept when the toddlers did, I could sew during naptime...which meant I missed a nap, and that when dinner time rolled around I was even more unprepared than usual. I would also try to sew at night after they were in bed. That feeling of finishing something was so satisfying...then I alternated between never wanting to try that again and being excited to start something new. I want all new valances on the windows around here, to begin with...and maybe something for me to wear...and I have this nice brown pinwhale corderoy with pink polka-dots to make something for Charlotte Claire for school. My sister makes these adorable little baby basinettes with little hoods, and quilts and bedding...she sells them on ebay sometimes, and they are adorable. I would love to do something like that, but I am not nearly as talented as she, and I wouldn't want to compete with her.

Wow, this little child is crying again..I wonder if she is not feeling well...and there are fights breaking out down the hall, blah, and for all those years I thought that when there were no more babies my life would be easy...

2 comments:

Martha said...

There is now a fire in the wood stove. It is crackling and popping.

I took Hannah to soccer this morning in spite of the fact that she didn't feel too great last night and was running a low grade temperature. Now she has left to go shopping with her sister. I hope she isn't really sick. Luckily she is too big to cry like a baby even if she is the youngest.

I hope you get some good cuddle time with your little one today. It's a good day for snuggling up in a warm blanket.

ccc said...

Ha! That last line could have been me saying that! My youngest will be three in Dec. I always thought it was the babies that were making my life hard--but, now I am thinking that was not the case. So many issues with these older ones and so many more commitments(kid activities) that I have made thinking that I can do it since I have no babies.
I hope Camille passes through her crying phase soon :)