summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

how do i hate the time change?

Let me count the ways...the tired kids who are reluctant to go to bed at night, and slow to fall asleep because their bodies think it is too early. The same kids who can't seem to open their eyes in the morning. I stay up too late, and morning is too dark to feel motivated for a walk. I take one anyways, but not a long one, it is too dark to leave that early.

But as much as I hate those things, I love the light in the evenings.

We went to the pool yesterday!!! Suzanne, Jonathan, Charlotte Claire, Camille and I met Abigail there when she was done with work. I learned pretty quickly that there are things in my abdomen that aren't healed, ouch! I had to watch how I moved, but I guess I moved enough, because this morning when I got out of bed I had that wonderful after-exercise feeling, especially in my aching legs. I really really like that feeling, and I have missed it.

Mirielle and I took a quick trip to Wegman's yesterday. Mostly because I went to wash some clothes, and there was no detergent. Yes, I am Miss Organized. Monday is usually Wash Lots Of Clothes Day, so I really needed to get some. Wegman's sells the Dynamo for $1.99, so it seemed the logical place to go. We were also out of paper towels, and almost out of doggy food. Two hundred dollars later, I had what we needed...eggs and milk and yogurt and bananas and green peppers and oats and sauce and green beans and pasta and flour and some frozen veggies. I also bought a new box of sidewalk chalk, which Camille is itching to use. It is raining right now, so we will have to wait.

Jonathan went on a five mile bike ride with Samuel, then with me to the pool. He came home and ate dinner, and went to bed like a champ. Joseph so kindly made dinner while I was swimming. I had chicken breast marinating, so he cooked it on the grill and made a big salad. It was all done when I got home with the little kids, yay, because we were SO hungry. I had brought them some pretzels and water but I kept my hands off those pretzels, they are a no-no for me.

I remembered to send a snack for Charlotte Claire. Her snack day isn't until Thursday, but I had her take it today because it is safer that way. Safer because it was a huge bag of white cheddar popcorn, and my older kids would eat it...there would be one of them that had no idea, never heard me say not to open it. Inevitable. Plus, I remembered this morning, who knows if I would remember come Thursday.

Pink slime. blah. If you haven't read about it being added to ground beef, read about it. I was glad to find out that the three local grocery stores I buy burger from do not use it. It is another incentive to avoid eating fast food though, just the wonderment of what they add to their food. blah. Grease and salt anyway, yuck.

But it does taste good.

I have found a yummy thing to eat in the afternoons with my coffee. Lowfat sugarfree vanilla yogurt. First heat up some frozen strawberries, slice them a bit, add maybe a half teaspoon sugar if you want, perhaps some blueberries too...then put the yogurt on top, add some coconut, and a few toasted almonds. I buy the raw sliced ones in a huge bag, and toast them in a small pan, it takes only a few minutes. It tastes like pie. Aldi Fit and Active Vanilla in the big container is cheap and yummy.

My scale wasn't quite as mean this morning, it is heading in the right direction again. I am motivated, and I am going to stick with this thing.

Miss Camille is so ready for kindergarten. First grade, really. We were making cookies the other day, and she asked what they were for. I told her, "for dessert." She said, " D...Z...R...T, dessert!" Okay, she wasn't totally correct, but she has the idea. When I read stories, she can sound out small words because she knows all her letters and all their sounds. She has known her colors forever, she knows things like blue and red make purple.

I talked to Benjamin last night. He and Ashley are doing fun things like going to parks and playing minigolf, after he gets home from "work" each day. I feel so sorry for them, having this huge goodbye looming. The Horrid Thing that happened in Afghanistan the other day has him a bit rattled, as it has done probably set the soldiers back a million years in their relationship with the villagers. If the locals don't trust the Army, they won't help them out and warn them. blah.

But Ben seems so grown up about the whole thing. He doesn't exaggerate the dangers, he isn't excited to go, but he does want to get it started and over with. He is going to keep a journal there, and wants to buy a guitar to play to pass the time. I miss him so so much. I wish I could see him before he leaves.

So, I am done here for now, I shall go put in a load of laundry, then maybe I will exercise a bit. I am not ready for lifting yet, not just because I am obedient to the dr.'s orders, but because of the pain I felt in the pool...I will be careful. Slow and steady might just win the race.

1 comment:

Cindy @ Marriedtothemilitary {dot} net said...

go you! Swimming is an awesome way to burn calories. I wish I had a pool to go to I would swim all day. Great exercise for your stomach too, have you seen how flat those swimmers bellies are ;-)