summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Saturday, March 31, 2012

spring cleaning, updating the kitchen...

Our kitchen started out as a peachy-reddish color, which was actually nice and warm with the light blue countertops. Now, I wish I had never chosen blue countertops, but hey, I was only 26 years old when I picked things out for this place. We aren't even considering replacing the countertops right now, so I have to plan around them. And let's face it, they are generally decorated with things like bags of pears and lunchboxes anyway.

Now our kitchen is a color called, "English Ivy", which is a buttery off-white/pale yellow. I like it, but I want a change. I am thinking of either a warmer yellow, or a beige with a reddish blush. I am also going to paint the trim in there white, reluctantly, I like the warmth of the natural wood finish, but the one window that is replaced has a white grid, so....the thing is, I want to start this NOW, but if we are replacing windows, it would be silly to go and paint all that trim if is only going to be taken off...blah. I hate when I get that niggling Can't Stand Stuff feeling, yet it is the only thing that actually stirs me to action. I looked up some kitchens, to get some ideas, and guess what? I actually feel a tiny bit better, because there some ugly kitchens out there. Lime green, bright yellow, shiny red. ouch.

I bought Sonja K. an early birthday present yesterday, an area rug for her room, lavender and shaggy and fluffy. A large one, and a smaller one. The carpet in their room reflects the twenty years as a childrens' room, in which markers and paints were used,and Creepy Crawlers were made. And replacing it is not on our list yet. It was marked down from seventy bucks to twenty, so I couldn't resist. I also bought one for the living room for the same price, one I had been eyeing at half price, but just couldn't do it. When it went down to 70% off, I couldn't pass it up.

Paul is busy today. He is going to start some grape vines, and plant a rasberry bush. He was planning to get rid of one of the extra cars in the driveway, one of the three that no longer run, and just make our place look extra-classy, but the place doesn't take them on Saturdays. hmm. So, we are going to arrange to have them pick it up, which will be less money, but we want our driveway back, and our Class.

Poor Charlotte Claire woke up with a fever of 101 this morning (sorry Kim! Hope your kids have already had this one!) She was telling me her litany of complaints, then I told her it was Saturday, so she didn't have to bother telling me she was sick, but she said she REALLY FELT BAD. So I got the thermometer, and oops, she wasn't just trying to get a day off. Poor girl, she is just a bundle of blah on the couch. And poor Camille is over there trying in vain to play with her.

Yesterday....we went galavanting. Samuel and I, Sonja who said she didn't feel well and skipped school, Kathryn and Suze whom I picked up early, and Camille. We went to the toy store after all! I love that place! The three oldest kids went to Dick's Sporting Goods to look at the bow and arrows, which they now want, and we looked at toys. I had two coupons, so I did buy a few things. The Flynn Ryder/Rapunzel wedding set for $16, which we needed like a hole in the head, but...uh, it was fun? I also got Char a dolly double stroller for her birthday, which is in May.

Then we went through the McD's drivethrough...I had coffee and a parfait, and three YUCK McNuggets, but they were actually really yummy and greasy and hot and salty, dipped in salty Buffalo sauce. The other kids shared some fries (okay, I had three, then told Sam to slap my hand if it came creeping back). And they had a few other things, but we spent only 16 dollars, which seemed like a bargain, since they had been trying to talk me into going for Chinese.

After Target we went to Price-Chopper. Kathryn and Suzanne were Full Of The Devil. They had new sunglasses that they bought themselves in Target, and they were fooling around like crazy. Then...I got a phone call from Benjamin from Afghanistan! He sounded so clear, it was amazing that there I was walking around in the store, making those silent hand motions for my kids to be quiet and keep their distance so I could hear, talking to my son who is so far away. It made me cry when I hung up, because it was just so good to hear from him. He is growing up, my boy. They are still hanging around getting ready to go on their mission, which sounds dreadfully terrifying to this mom, and some of the guys are restless and complaining that they want to get moving. Ben tells them to relax and just chill. He has read two books, gone running and gotten a sunburn, and has had lots of naps. I told him it sounds good to me! He says it is very hot, and they are all in a tent, like two hundred guys sleeping in a small space. He said for me to send him some candy and some baby wipes. Which I have to go do, right now.

No comments: