summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, October 1, 2019

and where on earth did September go?


....because who doesn't like cookies? I made a single batch yesterday. The tripled recipe is ingrained in my head, I admit to having to divide by three when I make this small little amount. But we no longer need the vast volume of cookies! As it is, I give them away. Anne's dad came to pick her up, he got a baggie of cookies. The girl who drives Sonja K. to her school/hospital program every day, a baggy for her. I didn't eat any, which is hard, but. No cookie dough, either.

I just finished a good book, Small Great Things, by Jodi Picoult. It made me cry a few times, and it made me miss my mother. Sometimes, out of the blue, something makes me miss her so much it hurts. I am so much like her. If I could go back in time, I would apologize for holding her at arm's length, for not letting her get closer. I felt the need to be my own person, to make my own decisions, to appear strong when I should have just cried and let her see it. I didn't properly acknowledge her hurts, instead I encouraged her to bear them and be good. My father was a jerk to her in so many ways, should have hugged and comforted her. I'm lonely without her, because she was my friend. She cared about the details in a way that no one else does. We never ever ran out of things to talk about. When I think about her having kidney dialysis for NINE YEARS, three times a week, every single week...486 weeks, 1,404 sessions of sitting there for five hours, needle in the arm. I visited her there: once. Once. Granted, when she started dialysis, I had nine children, oldest one 12, and when she died, I had fifteen children, the youngest, baby Charlotte, only a few months old, so I WAS a little busy.

Even with her failing health, she managed to help me so much. She didn't come and clean my house or take my kids on overnights, (Well, years ago maybe, with the older ones..). She didn't have the strength for that. Dialysis saps you. It took a mighty toll on her heart. You wouldn't know it, being with her, how weak she was. She lived for years with the spectre of heart failure, leaving dialysis several times in an ambulance, not knowing if she was strong enough to continue with it. It did wear her out. But when you were with her, or talking to her, she KNEW you. She remembered everything about each of my kids, and she could talk to anyone about anything. She connected to people. I remember dying a million deaths one time when I was a freshmen in high school, and I saw a girl from school in K-Mart. I mentioned that I knew her, but this girl was popular, and pretty, and didn't know me from a hole in the wall. My mother, yes she did, said, "Hi! I'm Della's mom!" The girl just looked at me, and said hi, and I seriously died those million deaths.

Anyway. I miss her. She was the grandma who had the patience to read ten storybooks, and to sit in the van with the kids so I could just run into places without unbuckling six car seats. She would tell the kids stories, and sing songs with them, and she always had some sort of treats in her purse.

So it's October now, and those leaves are getting mighty pretty. This weekend, our plans are firming up, we're going to Virginia! Mirielle has found us a nice Airbnb, and we get to see Sam and Grace and little Grant! Sunday, we're visiting friends in Delaware and going to a meeting there. :)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well thanks, you made me cry!! You've expressed my experience and feelings about our mother, exactly! If only I would have known... Not that it would benefit me, but for their sakes, can you send this to all of my girls? Kidding, of course, and I feel very close to them, but I would hope that THEY would have no regrets!! I do believe that busyness gave us little time to reflect, but I certainly have time now!
Cheryl

Anonymous said...

This is absolutely beautiful, Della! And I'm sure everything you have gone through with your mom, joys and failures, have contributed to the wonderful mama and grandma you are becoming. Thank you for this.
Valerie

Rose Sperlonga said...

EEK! October!! Lord, I have no idea where the months are going. I told my grands today at the bus, once trick or treat is done , its holiday and then to 2020! The 9 yr old said "Whoa!" My thoughts exactly!

I have to say that I hope you never stop blogging. You live such a grand life. Full of adventures and so much love! And meaning "grand" as in just so full of life every day. I don't think you are the kind of woman who sits by and watches life go by. I mean, even making cookies is fun for you. Not to many can say that. A lot of people look at life as a chore. I don't. I try to stop when the kids get off the bus and sit and play dollies or Play-doh, draw or paint. I love it. If we don't stop life is going to be an empty house and 4 walls to look at. I don't want that!! LOL

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I appreciate your blog !
And you have a gorgeous family! Honestly , does anyone ever not get along? Seems so joyous all the time.

Looking forward to your next blog!
Rose

16 blessings'mom said...

Cheryl, I wish I could just dial 458-2919 and have her answer the phone. Or even grumpy Grampa. It is extremely hard to see past our own trials/situations, and help or attempt to alleviate others' sufferings. In retrospect, I would have been so much more merciful to her! Not that I was unkind, but you know what I mean.
Valerie, thank you for your kind words. My mom was a treasure.
Rose, from one grandma to another, you have chosen the good. And yes, we have our little misunderstandings and hurt feelings but for the most part, they get along well. I think they know a little bit about forgiveness, so even when they don't see eye to eye, they know better than to let grudges fester.

Billie Jo said...

Moms are the best, right?
They love unconditionally.
And even when we are moms ourselves, we still need our own.
Hugs.

Marilyn said...

Della.....I love your blog and wise words. We all have certain regrets as far as our mother’s were concerned. My mother lived 13,000 miles away from me, and at times it broke my heart to be so far away. We spoke on the phone as often as we could, but never enough. We visited every few years, but again it’s never enough. We just have to love our kids and grandkids 💖💖 The cookies look fabulous......I think I’ll have to do some baking* soon. Your family is lovely 🤗

Marilyn from Canada

Anonymous said...

💜💜💜

Simone