summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, October 29, 2019

seasons of change...all good things come to an end...

Melancholy. It's always been one of my favorite words. Our house is changing. It's still home, it's still my favorite place in the world. I still have dreams that I move away, and the whole time I am reveling in the grandness of the new house (it's always like an HGTV house!), I am missing this place, wondering why I left "the house with the blue countertops".

But this house is getting quieter, and it's sad. Sometimes, you can hear the clock tick. We are not t.v. people, we haven't even turned on Jeopardy! in weeks. Not many years ago, there were eighteen of us living here in this house. The older ones start leaving, of course they do. These days, there are seven of us here at home. Evelyn was coming home on weekends (she works full time, and is in college full time, stays with Margaret and Adrian, a half hour away), but now is so busy with school, she seems to have settled in to just staying there most of the time. So last evening, I went in to her room looking for something, and it was...empty. Now that bedroom used to be shared by 2, three of the girls at a time. Now...no one is in there, except for when she comes home. It's a nice room. But it's empty. I forgot what I was looking for as I stood there admiring the mirrors that were painted, the bed painted gray, the nice colors of the walls, the little details put in to make it such a nice room...a room that was outgrown, discarded. A sad room. I cried my eyes out.

Empty rooms. Kids growing up. It's almost Halloween, and I'm excited. But my girls...they are getting a bit old for Trick or Treating, even the youngest two are wondering if they're too old. They are considering going, but it's not EXCITING for them this year. They are growing up.

It's not supposed to be sad when your kids grow up, it's part of life. But consider this: I've been in this game for almost 35 years. The house got busier and busier and more and more loud and full and crazy, then it started going in reverse, and now...it's just strange.

In the last year alone, three moved out. Joseph got married and bought a house in town, Kathryn got married and moved to Oregon, Evelyn moved in with Margaret and Adrian. Now Suzanne is planning to move to California, there will be only four kids home.

It happens. I understand that. But please, allow me to wallow in my misery.

The grandchildren, oh they are blessings, they bring energy and life, vitality, into the house. Anne, too. She is a handful at times, but she is a little sunshine, too.

I am very thankful that I have enough to keep my busy. I am certainly not bored, but sometimes I do get a teensy bit lonely. Not for long though. I have some excellent older kids who don't mind hanging out with their mama!

Anyway. Paul is working from home, which I both love and hate, and if you don't understand that, I get it. Yesterday, for example, I called my sister. I hadn't talked to her in DAYS, so it wasn't a five minute phone call. It feels lazy to sit here on the phone for...um...an hour...when he's working hard, so, shh, thank heavens for cell phones, I walked around outside with Anne, let her swing and climb and jump on the trampoline, while I talked to my sister. (At one point yesterday, he said, "Why don't you go out and rake the leaves so Anne can jump in them?" Um, because I'm sitting here comfortably?...)

I am lazy, lazier than the day is long, but I also like to have things relatively in order. The sink empty, the floors swept, the laundry done, and I don't like the house messy. So I do what I need to do, I just laze around in between. I really do love my comfy chair.

I did do ten push ups while my coffee water heated up this morning.

Here's another thing that's interesting...getting old. I thought the other day: if I live to 108, my life is half over.

Every ache and twinge, and I think dismal forebodings. Especially in the night. When you get older, and you fall asleep because you are so exhausted, then wake up at three or four, and the thoughts come in like a freight train, the wonderings and the worryings...there is an unending list of things to worry about. Me, my health, all the WHAT-IFs, then for all the kids! What if?!!! And then the grand kids, and my friends...oh dear. And then there are all the procrastinations, and the ideas, the home improvements, the lists...this can go on until exactly five minutes before I am supposed to get up, then I am conked out fast asleep.

(For the record, I do not actively give in to all of this anxiety. No sir. Jesus himself encouraged us to take his yoke and learn from him, for he is meek and humble of heart...and we will find rest for our souls. Rest for our souls. I'll take that! So I do pray my way through!)

And...Anne will be here soon.

11 comments:

T.L. said...

((( hugs))) I think of you sometimes. My house is getting busier (one more baby on the way! exciting) but I can't help to think about preparing the kids for adulthood, I think if they leave it is sign of a job well done. :) But I can only imagine the heartache.
I am glad you get to see some of your grand kids :) My husband likes to talk of what kind of father and grand father he'd like to be, and make plans accordingly :) life is good, sometimes bittersweet too.

Billie Jo said...

What a heartfelt post!
I can relate to so very much of it.
Although my children are still here at home, including the married one...things are changing.
My baby is turning ten soon.
And I also wake in the night!
Hugs!
Please know you are not alone. : )

Anonymous said...

I can so understand how you feel. Dreading those days when they all go.Thank you for always sharing so honestly.
Simone

Marilyn said...

Hi Della.........I does seem strange as the kids leave, but after a while it becomes the new normal. Having your little grandchildren around is always a pleasure and you have little Anne too. It’s always sad when your kids get to be too old to go trick or treating, but it’s fun when the little ones come around to the door. It will depend on how cold it is to how many we get. My husband has been eyeing the boxes of chocolates we have........I haven’t opened them yet or he would have gobbled a bunch already 🤣! I just have to say your 2 ‘little girls’ are growing up fast! I’ve been following you for a few years and they were soooooooo little!! The years do fly by, don’t they? Well you have a great day......

Marilyn from Canada

16 blessings'mom said...

Tiphaine, when each child grows up and can stand on his/her own two feet, it's a relief, it's the whole point, to nurture and prepare them for real life, but it is still so sad! Do you have a blog? I'd love to hear how you're doing with your growing family! If you like, and if you have time, you can email me at dellamom16@yahoo.com.
BillieJo, those years with little ones go by fast, don't they? I somehow never realized how much things would change...
Simone, what are we going to do with ourselves when they ALL leave?
Marilyn, we don't get trick or treaters here on our road, and I CAN go out and about, tag along with the grand kids...but I think I'll try to see what Char and Cam want to do...they might just want to go one more time...

Tereza said...

I have 4 grown and moved out now and 1 more in Germany for a year. Just 4 kids at home! It’s very different than it used to be. It now I can help out with church functions and that feels nice too

Anonymous said...

Wow! I can relate to this post! Thank you for sharing. It helps people not feel alone when they realize others are going through the same experience. Life is flying by! And my children are too old to trick-or-treat also. But God is good always! Blessings from Orlando Florida
Darla

Cassandra said...

My oldest daughter will be 18 next year and I am not handling it well at all. She has a late birthday so she will still be in high school and as of right now the plan is to stay home while going to a community college for the first 2 years but uuugggghhh. Its not fair. At all.
My other two are 11 and 12 so getting too cool and not excited for things. I am trying to figure out how I can change to start enjoying stuff for this age, but its hard.
I had my oldest when I was just 17 so I've never been an adult without young children so I have no idea what adults do without kids. How do you enjoy Halloween, Christmas, Easter when you aren't focusing on making it special for your kids and enjoying their excitement?
I hate it. My husband is focusing on the free time we will have...I am focusing on wanting more kids LOL not really but it would be nice!

16 blessings'mom said...

Tereza, it IS nice to be freed up to do things like that, I agree. Tomorrow I'll be in the kitchen at Victory all day, Emily is doing the food for the Christmas concert practice/volleyball/hockey weekend.
Darla, God IS always good. There is always something worthwhile to occupy myself with, I don't have to just turn selfish and lonely, life is good.
Cassandra, I know! It's way more fun when there are kids to delight in it all! Years ago, before I homeschooled anyone, I had an entire year at home, when Camille went to kindergarten...a year with only college kids there, commuting and having some odd days off...I would go to the store ALL BY MYSELF. One day I was there in the grocery store, and there was a McCormack spice display, with an adorable little Christmas train going around the cute little track. I was delighted, and said out loud, "Oh, look at that! It's so cute!" Then I realized I was by myself. No kids to be thrilled with me. (On the plus side, no teenagers with me to roll their eyes at their silly mama either!). I have come to terms that no more babies are coming, and have settled on no adoptions, or the like, and am glad grandkids come to visit, and take comfort in caring for little Anne...she IS easily impressed, and enjoys the holidays. But it IS hard when the kids grow up. I still want to buy dollies and trucks for Christmas!!!!! The Target toy ad came today, and I was the only one interested!

Kristi said...

My husband works from home for the last 9 years. He travels a lot and I have to say, I pretty much love when he is traveling. I feel like it’s my home and I have complete control of it and can do what I want, when I want. When he is home, I’m always thinking, he is expecting me to do more than I am doing, he is looking down on what I do. He doesn’t, but man do I feel that guilt. We’ve had conversations before and I try not to think that way, but in the end, it is my insecurities that I am feeling. He is making all the money and I am not.

16 blessings'mom said...

Kristi, exactly! I don't think Paul ever thinks I'm lazy, but shh, I am, but when he works from home, he sets up on the kitchen counter...I putter around more than usual when he's here, ha. He earns the money, I earn a little watching Anne, but I deep inside believe that it's okay for me to relax a bit, after all these years of crazy. He's going out of town next week, and although I miss him when he's gone, I kind of like being the boss, and ordering wings for dinner. Being a stay at home mom though, it's priceless. It's so good for the kids. Even though mine aren't so little any more, I love that I can be here when they get off the bus, and for Jon, 15 and homeschooling. It's a good life, to be sure.