summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, October 28, 2019

parties and outings and bears, oh my!

Well, there is no bear, but there could have been, if Jonathan had his way. He actually went bear hunting in the Adirondacks this past weekend with two of his friends. They're crazy. But, it's good clean fun, and I'll take it. They camped out in the wilderness in the rain, but didn't see any bears.

Outings galore!

Saturday was a fun day with some of the girls. We went to a few stores, then to Chili's, their choice. I decided to let go of my apprehensions (money! calories! too much food!), and just take them there. They get a kick out of the whole thing, from choosing the appetizers to actually getting a drink that isn't ice water (it's included in the ten dollar special). I ate too many of the chips and salsa, but I did order steamed broccoli and roasted asparagus as my sides, a lot of good it did to offset the chipotle chicken crispers, but I didn't eat but half of them.



On Saturday afternoon, we stopped at Emily's house on the way home to drop off some donuts for the Halloween party she was having for the girls, but her power had just abruptly gone off. I offered to have the party at my house if it didn't get fixed right away.

So I had a party! (Her power is all restored, she needed the box replaced) It's kind of weird to go from being out and about without a care in the world, to be having lots of girls over for a party. Emily had already bought lots of food and snacks, but I had to clean up and make it party-ish. We put candles in the jack-o-lanterns, and lit lots of candles around here. I found an orange table cloth, and some Halloween cups in my stash. (See kids? It can be good to have lots of stuff!). I opened some Twix and some KitKats and put them on a big Pumpkin platter, we had cheese and crackers and pepperoni, a pizza, some baked breaded mozzarella sticks, chocolate cookies, donuts, pumpkin muffins (I made them, and the house smelled yummy). There were veggies and dip, and apple cider, and seltzers to drink. (I didn't eat anything, I had enough for lunch, and I know me: if I started snacking....:()

Anyway. The girls had fun. Here is Deb, Napoleon Dynamite, and Kip:


They played Mario Cart, and Just Dance, and were loud and silly and I think they had fun.

Yesterday after church, I went out and about with Abigail. It's very special to spend one on one time with your kids, even if they are all grown up and moved out. We went to a big shoe store to look for walking shoes for her, and I tried on several pairs of boots and shoes. I go from Birkenstocks to winter boots, because of my horrendously wide feet, and autumn weather is not cold enough for those furry boots, yet not sandal weather, and I am too old to pull off the socks-with-Birks thing. I had no luck, and Abigail ended up buying a pair of slippers.

Then we went to Kohls, where I lucked out, found a pair of black Eastland boots, an online return. They sell for $70, I got them for $23. They're 9 wide, I take an 8 1/2, but. I like them, and they seem like they'll work for my feet.


Paul had chicken in the oven when I got home, so I made some Brussel sprouts, spaghetti squash, and put some onion rings in the oven. Emily had taken Sonja driving (her road test is next week!), so she stayed for dinner.

After dinner, Camille helped me wrap Christmas presents! No, I am not super early and organized, but you already know that. It's for the kids' activity club party at church. Paul and I are doing the Mr. and Mrs. Claus theme, and I wrapped up the treats, so they each get a little gift.

It was a good weekend, but it went by too fast, and when I woke up this morning, I wished my bed wasn't so warm and comfortable, but then, I am glad it is. Anne will be here soon, and we will start the day as per usual, reading a whole stack of library books. I do have the best job, don't I? I get to watch Ms. Cuddle-Wuddles. She is super snuggly, and she would sit here for hours on end, with me in my chair, reading stories. Maybe today we'll go for a nice walk, too...

2 comments:

Jenea Wells said...

Sounds like a great weekend! It's nice to be able to spend time with your kiddos, especially when they are all so big!!! Good for you for throwing an impromptu Halloween Party, it sounds like a lot of fun. I overindulged on the Halloween candy. It has been so long since I've had chocolate! I gave myself some grace and just got right back on plan.

Billie Jo said...

Sounds wonderful!
The party looks and sounds as if it were festive and fun.
How great of you to lend a hand...and a house!
Have a cozy Halloween week!!!