summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, October 17, 2019

.....SO cozy!!!!...

So here I am, back into the midst of autumn, after that sunshine-y trip to California. It's raining today. It's dark and windy, the huge maple in the front is turning orange, the new metal roof amplifying the sound of the rain. My first coffee is gone, Paul is in the kitchen working from home today, Jonathan isn't out here yet...to be fair, he sometimes starts his schoolwork in his room in the morning, although he is quite possibly still sleeping. Anne will be here soon.

Just between you and me, I don't love it when Paul works from home. I always feel like I should maybe be doing something more than sitting here blogging, you know? I know watching Anne is a job, and homeschooling Jonathan is a job, and keeping the house clean and getting dinner on the table is something worthwhile...and being here in the mornings when the girls get on the bus is definitely a good thing. This fine dark morning, I made them a plate of hot, crispy, pancakes, fried up in butter, with a dash of brown sugar, cinnamon, and sugar in the batter. I make sure they have their lunches, and send them out the door with my best wishes for a good day.

But still, I feel guilty sitting around so much when Paul is working from home. When he's not here, I don't feel bad at all, because I kind of KNOW how much I actually do around here, but when he's here, I feel rather lazy.

I am thankful I can be here when the girls leave for school, and when they get home, too. I'm glad I get to putter around and keep things nice in here. After raising all these kids, having days and weeks and months and years of such busyness, one year we had ten kids in public school, from kindergarten to 12th. Year after year, I had four or even five younger than school age, here at home all day. In those years, it was obvious that I worked really hard, and though I have always been thankful to be at home, I really worked my butt off and it was justified to be here not working.

Today, Jonathan and I have to figure out his first homeschool report of the year, what he's done and how he's done, get that finished up and sent in to the school. We NEED groceries here, running out of cat food and paper towels...we need a meal plan, too. Suzanne is willing to look after Anne in the afternoon if we want to go to the store then, instead of waiting until she goes home around five, five-thirty...or we could go during the day, and take her with us. That's always interesting! She does like going out and about, but it's definitely challenging.

Anyways. Tomorrow night, Abigail is going to the pool with me, and whoever else we can get to come along too. It always feels fantastic to get into the water and move, I don't for the life of me know why I don't do it more often. Saturday is full of plans. Sam and Grace and little Grant live in Virginia, but are wanting to move to this area (YAY!!!!), so when Sam is doing Army things at his weekend drill, I might go apartment hunting with Grace. Later in the day we are doing church things, as well as helping Sam get his car inspected. Sunday, a birthday party for little Anya, turning 6, the oldest of our five grandchildren, as well as for her little sister Elise, who is turning two! I have the gifts all wrapped for Anya, but not for Elise yet. I've gotten Elise a sweet little dress and leggings, but want to get her a toy or book still.

Wow, the wind is blowing, the trees swaying, leaves blowing around, decorating the yard...its lovely.

1 comment:

Marilyn said...

Good morning.......are you getting that awful storm I’ve been seeing on the TV? A nor’easter or something they called it 😬 I don’t think you need to feel guilty at all sitting in you chair in the mornings. All those years you must have been functioning on auto pilot........oh my.......you were one busy momma. Your little girls did SOOOOOOO well at school!! You must be very proud of them Della 💞💞 Good for you going swimming. I’ve heard swimming is just the best form of exercise as you use many different muscles. Now I should get my butt off the couch and go do something! I don’t feel guilty at all.........and my dear hubby just vacuumed while I sat here writing to you!!🤣 Have a great day!!🍁🍁💨💨

Marilyn from Canada