summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Friday, October 25, 2019

strange happenings and coyotes howling...

It is the spooky time of year, but what happened to me yesterday afternoon was not a funny kind of scary, at all. It was a busy afternoon. The kids were here, Anne was here, I was trying to oversee Jonathan making chili while I made bacon and eggs for Anne and me. We had gone out and about, to the library, all happy because our tire had been repaired for only $23! Then the van started making a horrible sound when I turned the steering wheel...such a grinding, grouchy sound, after the library, we came home...it needed more power steering fluid. Anyway. We were home, and I decided to have some eggs as a late afternoon snack, brekky, early dinner, whatever you call the first meal of the day when it's eaten at four in the afternoon. While puttering in the kitchen, washing up a few dishes while directing Jon on chili-making, I started feeling funny. My eyes were having swirling problems. Seriously, swirling and really bright colors, I couldn't see clearly. It was stupidly scary, and I had to go sit down. I ate an egg, a few pieces of bacon, thinking maybe after fasting like this for three months, all of the sudden I had issues? I did feel a bit better, started to be able to see clearer. It was definitely in both eyes, which is good, and of course I texted Emily, my Nurse Practitioner daughter. She called me and asked some questions, and we both agreed it was probably an ocular migraine. I did get a headache after, and have been slightly headache-y all day long today, sinuses packed, you know, blah. She told me that years ago, when she was working in the ICU at the hospital, she had a terribly difficult case, and the family of the patient was challenging, and she got yelled at for something...she went into the bathroom, and when she looked into the mirror, her face was swirling. She said ocular migraines can be brought on by stress. So, she suggested I take today off from watching Anne, and just rest.

But here's the thing. Anne's dad is self-employed with a landscaping business. I wasn't just going to bail on him. So I asked Suzanne to get up and get the little girls on the bus for me this morning so I could at least sleep in a bit.

I have realized, since yesterday afternoon, that I am very tense. I need to chill. I need to consciously relax my muscles. Today we decided to go out and about because we needed to get some money for Jon, because I have borrowed from him for different things, and he is going on a bear hunt this weekend in the wilderness...and I needed to get Santa hats for Paul and I...next week we are doing a Mr. and Mrs. Claus themed set-up for the children in the activity club. I also needed treats and some wrapping paper. When the kids come "trick-or-treating" at our set-up, they will get a little wrapped gift!
We also needed dog biscuits, yogurt, and bananas.

Home...ah, home. Jonathan made burgers, and we put a pizza in the oven. The other kids went to the youth meeting, Paul is home from his afternoon bow-hunting excursion, and it's quiet in here.

I am thankful that my eye swirling incident wasn't the death of me, and that here I am, alive, and making the most of life. It is a beautiful time of year, and I have much to be thankful for.

I rummaged through the hall closet today, searching for valances I know I bought from Target online a few months back. I found this!

Sam's Army blanket, he's been looking for it, knew he left it here...

I did find the valances, too. I ironed them and hung them up, and I like them.

Here is little Anne today...

1 comment:

Joybells said...

I hope you do get a chance to relax and take it easy for a bit...even a few minutes here and there. Sounds like your body is trying to tell you something. 💞