summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, October 10, 2019

...it's the little things..


Last evening, after Anne went home, I took the little girls to the thrift store so they could look for jeans. No matter what, we always find something funny there. I mean, the shorts Camille is holding up? I wished Evelyn was there, she always found good things, and the funniest dresses.

I found a LulaRoe dress with the tags still on, for $7.50. It is still snug, but it's a lovely dress: goals.

So on Tuesday night, Sonja took her five hour driving course, which is necessary here in New York, before one schedules the road test to get the driver's license. The small city is a 20 minute drive, so I just stayed there instead of driving home, then back again. Since it was a school night, the younger girls couldn't accompany, and Jonathan was helping at activity club. So I dropped Sonja off, or rather, she dropped herself off, and I moved to the driver's seat. She's a good driver, it's me, I get so nervous, my feet pressed to the floor on my invisible brakes.

So anyway, I was in the city all by myself for...five hours! I knew the course wouldn't actually last that long, shh, they let them out after four hours and ten minutes, but still. I had some time to wander, squander, browse, and dilly-dally. I went into Bed, Bath, Beyond, and found a few things to put away for Christmas, and something for Ashley's birthday. Then A.C. Moore, the craft store...going in there all by myself was slightly heavenly. I got a lovely fake autumn bouquet with light, muted colors, for 70% off, and some disposable icing bags for decorating, with the 55% off coupon.

Then to the thrift store all by myself. The books were ten for a dollar. I chose three, then overheard the cashier telling another customer that one had to buy them in quantities of ten or they were the regular price. What's seven more books, right? I found, Love You Forever, a Cinderella book (Anne loves Cinderella), and then pulled an Anne of Green Gables off the shelf...I leafed through it to make sure it wasn't an abridged version, and there, tucked inside the front cover, was a crisp twenty dollar bill.

I thought it maybe was fake, but of course I added that book to my stack. I've read all those books by Lucy Montgomery, long ago, but there's nothing like reading those rich phrases of Anne's, plus, there was twenty bucks in it!

When I got to the van with my $4.31 worth of goodies, which was ten books and a $2.99 Cinderella dress for Anne, I looked closely at that twenty, and decided it was fake because it was different than the one in my wallet.

When I got home, Paul said it was real. He held it up to the light, and said it was absolutely real. So I googled it, and sure enough, it is just a different model than the one in my wallet, a 1996 series. So yay me. It's not that it's a lot of money, it was just fun.

I'm leaving for California in the morning...we have to leave for the airport at 4 a.m., and do you think I have packed yet? I haven't even located the carry-on I'm bringing. I have done laundry, and have a foggy idea of what I'm bringing, but that's about it.

That's not too shabby, right?

3 comments:

Marilyn said...

Hi Della 👋 I love the things Anne said too..........”Tomorrow is always a new day with no mistakes in it”......Anne...with an E. Shirley 💞 I just LOVED those books too. You did REALLY well buying all those books and finding a $20 bill!! BONUS!!! Those shorts are hilarious, aren’t they? No accounting for taste. It’s fun to go to places like that with someone you can have a good giggle with. Sometimes you see some really hilarious hats. I remember back when I was a kid.....back in the cave days........in Sydney, Australia...... my mum and I would go to this market that had everything from soup to nuts........live chickens even and second hand clothing and there was always this lady that had hats........and she would model them!! This was back in the 40’s and early 50’s and my mum would say “who would buy a second hand hat from that old duck.....might have nits (lice) in them”......😂😂😂 Those were the days!! Anyway Della, you have a great little holiday and enjoy every second.

Marilyn from Canada

Marilyn said...

Oh Dellai hope you are nowhere near those awful fires 🔥 Just so dreadful.

Marilyn from Canada

Marilyn said...

Oh Dellai hope you are nowhere near those awful fires 🔥 Just so dreadful.

Marilyn from Canada