summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Saturday, March 14, 2020

flying home today...

I can name a few things I'd rather be doing, than flying across the country by myself during this...event. Walking across hot coals, smiling with broccoli in my teeth for a family photo, walking in with t.p. stuck to the bottom of my shoe, losing my credit card when it's time to pay for two cartfuls of junk in Walmart, to name a few.

But I want to get home, so off I go to the airport in an hour.

If you think of me today, pray for me! Pray that I can be at rest, and not spiral into anxiety. Fear itself is as bad as what one fears. Once you start thinking of all those little germs, and all those people and all the surfaces, and people coughing and touching their faces and and and, it's not fun.

If I could shake a magic wand and be through with this day, all magically, and find myself at home, I would gladly do it. But here's the thing: it's through the things we suffer that we get oil in our lamps, right? In Little Miss Sunshine, the boy Dwane said he wished he could go to sleep and wake up when high school was all over. His uncle explained that suffering was essential, that a French author had said that the years he suffered were the best years of his life. And that high school, those were prime suffering years. (Look up the clip on you tube, it's good!)

So I can't make today magically go by, I have to go to the airport, I have to go through security (so thankful for pre-check though!), I have to navigate the airport and board the plane and lift my carryon into the overhead bin, all by myself. I have to land in Chicago, find my new gate, and Chicago airport is a big-butt airport! I only have 57 minutes to do it in!

Then, the flight to New York, and home sweet home. Ahh.

8 comments:

Linda said...

Keeping in prayer, something tells me though, the airports are near empty...oh and guess what, Wegmans here in Hornell has no meat, NO MEAT!!! This is getting crazy.

Blods said...

Good luck Della! Stay strong, you can get through this. Think of all those happy faces waiting to greet you at home. Maybe you are even there as I type this. Sending much love Blods xx

Anonymous said...

I’ve said a prayer for you as you travel across the US today. I was in a similar position as you on 9/11 and I remember clearly the feeling that I just need to get back to family. Your religious quotes the other day brought me great comfort. Safe travels!

Marilyn said...

Oh Della I hope you made it home safe and sound. We go on Tuesday morning. This whole business is quite stressful, isn’t it? Chicago IS a huge airport 😬😬 Not too much time to get to your next gate. I hope it wasn’t too far away. Keep us posted 🤗

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

shellie said...

I will be praying for you! Safe travels 😊

Marilyn said...

Hi Della........I hope you made it home safe and sound. I saw on the news this morning there were HUGE line ups at Chicago airport, and I thought of you. I’m hoping when we get to the Phoenix airport at 4am on Tuesday it won’t be like that!! Hugs 🤗

Marilyn from Canada

Mert said...

Not sure what my nonbeliever prayers would be worth- but hoping everything has gone well and you’re home safe.

Susan said...

Thinking of you sweet Della and hoping by now you are safe and sound. Yes, these are difficult times but as always God is in control.
♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️Susan