Monday, March 9, 2020
happy anniversary to us!
36 years ago, on a warm Friday night, in his mom's living room, we got married.
We went away to Rochester, New York, for the weekend, but of course we headed back early Sunday morning, because we couldn't miss church! (I cannot believe that, now!). It had snowed Saturday night, our car wouldn't start, so we paid a guy $20 to jump it for us. We both went back to work on Monday morning. So if we've had a few vacations later in life, after all the babies and children, don't envy us too much.
Saturday, we went to Walmart, Jonathan, Sonja K., and I. Jon's new glasses broke, and good thing for glasses insurance. New frames, and we were all set to wander around the store and get what we needed, which wasn't much.
Jon took this pic.
We did go to the local coffee roaster, near the prison. Do you know that Auburn New York has a MAXIMUM SECURITY prison, within city limits? I believe it's the only city in the U.S. that has this. Anyway, we went to Crow City Roasters, and got some amazing coffee.
I did not take any pics Saturday night, dang it. We celebrated Molly Rose's birthday, and Mariel's too. The house was brimming and overflowing, we had corned beef and cabbage, potatoes and carrots, and fresh Italian bread. Chocolate cupcakes, and pumpkin muffins with pink buttercream frosting, and no, I did not have one. (there are too many special occasions, right? If I cheated on every one of them, well, where would I be?)
Yesterday morning, we went for a walk, it was sunny and not freezing.
Camille and I were poky little puppies, Char and Dani went on ahead.
Margaret and Evelyn and Wulf were here for a bit last evening. Wulf is SO stinking CUTE.
This is from last week, when he helped himself to a big chocolate bar.
So here's the thing: I am leaving at 3:00 in the morning so I can catch my 5:00 flight, I'm leaving for California! I won't be able to sleep because I'll be afraid I'll oversleep, I'll nap for half hour at a time, waking to check my phone. I can't believe I'm going all by myself. It's definitely outside of my comfort zone.
I just want to ask, for the record, because I'm interested: would YOU travel from New York to California, on a plane, during this corona virus outbreak? I would love as many answers and opinions as possible, because I am very curious. There are so many sides to this issue...
It's overblown, it's fear-mongering, it's just like the flu...but then, hmm, why the total shut down of China? If you're in the 80% of mild cases, good for you, but the other 20%, ugh. Over fifty, the risk goes up. One guy on a podcast said that if you can't go up 3 or 4 flights of stairs without getting winded, you are at huge risk of not being able to fight it off, as it is a disease that affects the lungs. Um, how about one flight of stairs? hmm?
It's easy to say, "I'm not afraid of it, I'm just apprehensive of the quarantines, to panic buying and the empty shelves." But when you read about the actual disease, and what it does to people, it's terrifying. I hate suffering, I really do. It hurts my heart that people's grandmothers and grandfathers and elderly parents are suffering like this. There have been younger people too, in their 30's and 40's who have gotten very sick, and who have died. It's a bit scary, right?
So off I go, on a trip, on a plane, am I asking for it? Will my measly little baggie of Target brand disinfectant wipes clean the tray and arm rests sufficiently? It's a seven hour flight across the country, and I've gotten migraines two different times through the years, on these long flights. So I drink tons of water, take a few ibuprofen, and get up and go pee like three times. I've read to avoid the airplane bathroom like the plague. Well. I cannot do that. My flight migraines were so bad, I threw up. Once, when we went to Dominican, my headache got so bad that on the shuttle from the airport to the resort, I couldn't even muster up the movement to alert the bus driver that I was going to heave. I took my jean jacket, and seriously, I barfed right into it, rolled it up, and held it. I couldn't move. No one near me said a word, Paul was sitting in the seat in front of me and had no clue. It was AWFUL. The other time, Emily and I flew out to Washington state, when Ben and Ashley lived there. My headache went from bad to worse to horrendous, we were visiting with Ben, and I asked Em to bring me to the hotel, by the time we got to the hotel parking lot, I was opening the car door, and yeah, making a mess of the parking lot.
Nerves, dry air, dehydration, not sure. But long trips give me a headache. So avoiding the bathroom ain't gonna happen.
So anyway, I'm leaving on a jet plane, don't know when I'll be back again, but I certainly hope it's next week, and that I'm healthy and tan.
Let me know, your honest opinions! Even if you never comment, chime in and be honest.