summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Friday, March 6, 2020

ooot and aboot.

...as our Canadian friends would say. Evelyn had a few things on her to-do list, and Sonja was able to go with us, so we had a rare day out together. Miss Evelyn Joy works full time, and goes to college full time, so she's a busy girl. Sonja K. is in her senior year, in a hospital/medical prep. program, and had permission to work from home yesterday. What?! We were home for part of the day!


With Evelyn, and Ev with Sonja K.

So I am heading to California on Tuesday, bringing my laptop, I'll be blogging from out by the pool. I am looking forward to some sunshine, and to the hot tub, and to seeing my kids. I love traveling to the west coast, because if you sleep to 6:00 a.m., it's like nine, which I RARELY sleep until nine, and then you are up bright and early, and you can tip-toe out and get a cup of coffee, go back in your room, sit in bed and blog. Or read a book. In the quiet. Or just get up and do the dishes and clean up the kitchen and let the dogs out:)

This is a busy weekend coming up. Mali's birthday celebration on Saturday night, then on Sunday the youth girls are making artisan paninis, Mac and cheese, for church, and I'm making crustless quiche. Oh, and tonight we're having the youth girls over. I have cookies to make, and maybe cupcakes for tomorrow night, and a house to clean.

Life is interesting. I am not terrified of the corona virus, but who is buying all the toilet paper? It's like the panic buying spurs panic buying! There's hardly any left, so I want more! I have four daughters at home, so of course I've wondered if we have enough monthly supplies, if there is a quarantine. There are hungry dogs and cats, should I stockpile some chow? I don't know. It's not like it's the end of the world, but it has a funny feel to it, the hysteria.

Weight loss news: new low for me! Not life time low, of course. I was 126 pounds in high school. Then I got married and started having babies, never losing all the baby weight, it piled on. It felt useless to even try, insurmountable. I am now four pounds less than the lowest I hit like 8 years ago. In the interim, I had started to regain, so I have now lost like 30 since July first. The last time I went to California was in October, I have lost 14 since then. So it's sloooow, but steady, and it's better than gaining! I am still in the obese category, and "obese" is one of the most wretched words in the English language, in my humble opinion. Maybe because I had a brother who used it as the worst insult!

Anyway, fat or not, life is good. Something got into our trash, whether it was one of our own Labradors, mm-hmm, Sunny, or a wild animal from the woods, it is scattered all over the ground. I need to get some gloves on and go out there and clean it up, because whether Sunny was the culprit or not, she certainly takes advantage of the feast laid out for her. She's all better now, and we don't want her to get sick again.

We went to the pool last evening, Evelyn, Sonja, Charlotte Claire, Camille, and I. Benjamin and Ashley went with Anya and Elise, so it was quite fun. It's also such good exercise.

As much as I love sitting here in my comfy chair with my feet up, my coffee is gone and it's time to do some things. I still absolutely revel in the downtime I get these days. I went through a time when I was prioritizing it, loving it too much, to the point of being selfish. God gives us days, gives us time, and we will be accountable, so if there is someone who needs help, and all I want to do is stay home in my chair, well...there is a time and season for everything, I suppose, and we each have to hear for ourselves what God is speaking to us...

2 comments:

Linda said...

I think I shall steal away in your suitcase, grin. Have a great trip!!!

Marilyn said...

Good morning Della 🌞 I read, or heard from someone in Australia, that toilet paper was sold out in many stores there. Toilet paper!! I’m not sure if all this panic is just publicity or what. I hear the governor of California has declared a state of emergency. There’s a cruise ship off the coast of SAN Francisco that now has all the passengers in quarantine as several passengers have tested positive. Maybe I should be worried but I’m not.......not yet anyway. You will have such a great time with your kids and your new little grandson is coming to visit. How exciting πŸ€— Yesterday it was 84 here 🌡🌡Just lovely. BTW.....I have a Kitchen Aid and have never had a problem with it, but I don’t do the baking you do either. I know there are different models, some more powerful. I don’t know what mine is, but I bought it on sale about 14 years ago. Well you have a super day!!

Marilyn from Canada