summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, April 5, 2021

a big surprise this morning!

 I didn't say it was a good one...no, this morning, the bad puppies got into the garbage.  It was really yummy EASTER GARBAGE!  I'll leave you with that, in case you are sipping that second cup of coffee right now, because, what a mess.

Labradors are hilarious, they are smart, and they KNOW when they've done something bad bad bad.  They wag hopefully, yet, turn away their gaze, they hope you understand that it wasn't their fault, it just smelled SO GOOD.   

I shooed them outside before tackling the mess, shooed them right out the door with nary a pat on their contrite little heads.


(Suri wouldn't look at me, I think she was the perpetrator.)

  Coffee grounds mixed in with it all makes the cleaning up more challenging, but it's definitely not the worst mess I've had to clean up, nah, with all these kids, I've probably seen it all.  Sometime when you're not eating, I'll tell you about the time we had the worst throw up bug ever, when all the kids still lived here....(I'll give you a hint, it was like someone took a cauldron of beef stew and dumped it here and there, bathtub, toilet, sink, floor, from the top bunk...). I was pregnant at the time, and there were so many kids sick, and when I walked around and surveyed the damage, I was crying and sobbing....because someone had to clean it up.  Once when I only had three kids, one of them threw up in their highchair, choked on a Cheerio and barfed...I was pregnant, and queasy, so I turned around and did the same thing, right on the floor, than I sat down and cried my eyes out, because someone had to clean it up.  And that someone was me.

Anyway, on to better things.  There were only 17 of us here for Easter dinner yesterday.  Molly had to work, so they were only here for a little while, they took dinner to go.  So 14 for dinner.   Paul is feeling much better, but he gets exhausted so easily.  He gets out of breath, and it's sad.  It's like he suddenly got old, but never tell him I said that.  He is actually an extremely healthy person, and pre-Covid, he worked out every single day.  It gave us a glimpse of how awful this virus really is, we can only imagine how horrible it would be if Paul was older and more out of shape.  He has been out in the sunshine on the deck this morning, doing some push ups, trying to get his lung capacity back.



The grass is green, but the trees haven't blossomed their frothy leaves yet.  I keep watching for it to happen, but it always happens when I'm not looking, boom, tiny newborn leaves.

Our Easter dinner was quite yummy:  a brown sugar cured ham, mashed potatoes, roasted veggies (asparagus, Brussel sprouts, cubed squashed (I cheated and bought a bag of frozen), and chopped apple), baked applesauce (a jar of unsweetened applesauce, with four or five apples peeled and chopped and added to the top, with a sprinkling of brown sugar. ( I serve the cinnamon/sugar shaker on the side, as Wulf has a sensitivity to cinnamon, and he loves applesauce), and brown and serve rolls.  For dessert, there was candy galore.  Cam and I made molasses cookies from Paul's grandma's recipe, on Saturday, and Margaret brought carrot cake cookies with cream cheese frosting.  I don't eat any of those things, so I made a sugar free pie, this time with a layer of sugar free black cherry jello.  It wasn't GREAT, but it had raspberries on top, and it's nice to have dessert.

We had an egg hunt in the yard, mostly for Wulf, as Ophelia didn't stay long, Lydia was with her dad, and Ben and Ashley couldn't make it.  Here's a pic of their family dinner, aren't those girls adorable?  And Benjamin is Mr. Handsome!




We didn't get any fancy Easter pics, and everyone was so happy to be together, so relaxed, it felt intrusive to take even these pics.  (Isn't baby Tennyson so cute, with his Auntie Abigail?). And Wulf is upside down with his mama in the last pic, he has energy to spare!  In the first pic, I love the four sisters sitting on the couch (Sonja, Mariel, Evelyn, Camille, with Emily in front on the floor).  

The girls are doing online school today, but this week they'e easing  back to five days a week!   It'll be more challenging, but back to some degree of normal, which is good.  I like having them home, too...but it's not always all about me, I guess.  Jonathan is in California, Sonja is at college, Paul is working from his office here at home, the dogs are snoring, and I'm not sure what I'm going to do.  

I'm at a strange place in life.  I've spent my years raising kids, and always thought that when the youngest went off to kindergarten, I'd go to nursing school, but oh my goodness, just because the kids are in school, when you have 16 of them, doesn't mean you aren't busy!  The orthodontist, dentist, pediatrician appointments, the driving them here and there and and and.  One or another of them home sick with something...I had one year of no kids here, when Cam was in kindergarten, the next year Jonathan started homeschooling...one year there were five of them homeschooling, then Kathryn graduated and Suzanne went back to real school.  

So I've kept busy.  Last year, the girls went back to public school after five years of homeschool, but that ended abruptly in March, as did most everything else in this whole wide world.

This year it's been fantabulous to be home as they navigated hybrid school, and Jon is still homeschooling too.  (I was discussing, recently, my desire to find something to do, and he said, "Don't forget about me, mom, I'm still home...).  It's still good to be here for the kids, I love being here when they get home, and I love being able to be available to help if the older kids need something.

But, they're growing up, and although I do keep busy, I'd like to be a little tiny bit busier...I want a job that pays really well with little or no effort, doing something I absolutely love, paying in cash preferably...ha.  I would like to write children's books, or write a column, or get paid for blogging.  I have to have flexible hours, so I never have to turn down a trip.  I'm planning to go to Oregon in June when Kathryn and Darius have their baby girl, and I like to go to California now and then, and and and.  I need money to fund these trips, but also flexible hours so I can actually go.  I know, I sound like a huge spoiled brat.  :)

Oh well.  Time to talk to Miss Camille, she's on break between classes...


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, the stomach bug, when it goes through the family...One time a child who was much too old to be doing it, threw up on the bathroom floor! Right NEXT to the toilet. My husband and I were flabbergasted. Don't want those old days back, ha ha. Molasses cookies- I have no self control around them, yum. You are funny with your job particulars, ha. Hope you are having a good day!
Valerie

Terri D said...

Wow. First, I am glad your Paul is doing better! I am glad you had such a nice Easter celebration! I am still blown away at the size of your family and give you a BIG high five for navigating life as well as you do. Your kids are amazing and so are you!!

Anonymous said...

I hear you on the job front. My youngest is a senior and last year I went back to work as a CPA because I was going crazy with so much time on my hands. Now I work feb-april 15th (unless the irs changes their mind) , work like a lunatic during those 10 weeks and make good money to allow me to have fun a fun do what I want the rest of the year. It’s a trade off. I hadn’t worked a real job for almost 20 years, but it all comes back to you.
Kristi

Unknown said...

Dear Della...........your description of the stomach bug in your house is hilarious 😆Oh my goodness that must have been dreadful.......😣 Looks like you had a nice dinner though, quite a gang. I do hope Paul is on the mend, but it’s slow process. My daughter in law was tired for weeks I hate to tell you. Lots of rest and fresh air I think is good. Have a nice evening 🥰

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

Susan said...

Della, I could really see a book in your future. You have tons of great material and you tell it in an engaging way. I always look forward to reading the new blog entries. I think many people would be very interested in reading about your journey.
Good news that Paul is getting better. I have to say that 8 weeks post Covid I do not have my normal istamina back. It is a slow process for sure.

16 blessings'mom said...

Valerie, one time I had a young girl staying with me, I was a few weeks away from having our fourth child. The dreaded throw up bug came through the house, and as I was stuffing the washing machine with barf-y bedding, I told this teenager to remember this when some handsome guy asked for her hand...it comes with the territory, ha.
Terri, aww thank you! Thank you for kind words, and for prayers.
Kristi, that's excellent, a very smart solution. I was babysitting for Anne, which was really good pay, and a perfect job for me because I love her, she's so much fun. That ended last March, then she started pre-K this year...I don't really want to babysit other kids though, it's hard to explain...
Marilyn, I think Paul is trying to find the balance between listening to his body, and trying to get his strength back.
Susan, wow, hope you get all the way better soon, what a thing this virus is...and thank you for your kind words!