summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, April 7, 2021

to vaccinate or not? any comments?

 It's certainly a big decision.  I am mulling and considering, and I have an appointment to get one this Saturday...(so if you don't hear from me after that because I'm dead, it was the vaccine!...that's what I hate..when someone has a stroke the next day, and they declare it a coincidence...).   I do not trust Uncle Sam, not near nor far, not in a van, or in a car.  

But.  I do have some respect for the vaccine, mostly because of my sister.  You all know my sister Cheryl, she's my bestie, ten years older than me, so very young, ha, and not in the best of health.  We really thought that if she ever got this virus, it would be the end of her.  She has bad asthma, is in remission for breast cancer, has kidney issues, ect.  We still don't know if it was prayer, or that she had the first vaccination a week before she got Covid.  Of course it WAS prayer, but it seems that vaccination helped too.  

Going through having Paul sick has also been rough.  He's in much better shape than I am, and if it kicked  him, what would it do to me?

Then again, I lived in a house with him, in close contact, and with the two girls who had it, and didn't get it, so do I have immunity already?  I mean, one morning, after Miss Smartypants lost her taste and smell, she decided to take a swig of MY coffee, just to see if she could taste it, which she couldn't.  The stupid part was that I picked it up 30 seconds later and took a drink, and right as I did it, I realized DUH, I shouldn't...so I decided What The Heck, I'll just drink out of the one side...then I got up to do some things, took a last drink of my coffee, from the other side of the cup, where she had sipped....  yet, unless all my phantom aches and pains were real, I didn't get sick.  I did not get a fever, and shh, yes, I checked my temp a few times.  A few times a day!  

I was waiting for it.  Waiting for the worst, and day after day, well, it didn't happen.  I WAS sick last year when I got home from California, with a cough and fever, but it was so mild.  I wasn't exhausted or anything, just no appetite (call 911 if I lose my appetite!), and the cough and very low fever, 99.5-ish.  I tend to run low, 96, 97...so for me, it WAS a fever.  But nothing like the sickness that Paul just experienced.

So between now and Saturday, I have to decide whether I want the vaccine...it will bring some semblance of peace of mind, but also, what if it kills me?  I know, I am a DRAMA QUEEN.  

I did go on a nice walk this morning, as part of my JUST DO IT campaign, Valerie, you just do it too!!!!

Last evening, there was junior activity club, for the 2-4 year olds.  There are only 7 in the group, and Mariel was my co-mentor last night, she will be switching off with Emily, as we plan to do it every week.  Five of the parents stay too, they try to be a bit hands off, to let the little ones experience socializing with peers without them, but it's good to have them there at this age.  We made birds:
I cut out all the bodies, then the eyes and beaks, and brought string, the hole puncher, feathers ,googly eyes, and pipe cleaners for feet...some of them did their own gluing and taping (we taped the feet on the back, and the feather too.   They seemed to like making them.  

They also played play dough, ran around, played a simple game of passing a ball around while sitting in a big circle, then snack time and coloring.  It's a fun thing to do, I just wish we didn't have to wear masks.  I will admit to pulling down my mask and smiling at a child sometimes...shh.

Orange Guy likes the new stroller...




He thinks I bought it just for him.  I'm going to have to vacuum it before I give it to Margaret.  She is going to leave it here until she moves into the house, they're moving at the end of the month.  We're going up there this afternoon to help paint...

That's Jon painting the dining room...
Evelyn, and Miss Camille...
Margaret with Tennyson, and Miss Charlotte Claire
Margaret is a multitasking mom...with her boys, Wulf and Ten...
(these pics were from the other day, and yes, they're getting new flooring!)
(after painting all day, we had a zoom bake-a-thon...Margaret made these, carrot cake cookies with cream cheese frosting...)

(Grace made brownies with Peanut Butter Monster Mix in them, Mariel and Ashley made browned butter white chocolate macadamia nut cookies, Camille and I made molasses cookies from Paul's grandmother's recipe, Molly made chocolate peanut butter keto cookies, and Kathryn made peanut butter cookies.
I wish we could have tasted all of them, but you can't do that over zoom!)

Jonathan seems to be having a nice time in California, Aaron took him to see the Pacific...


So it's a lovely day here today, all sunny and warm.  I've vacuumed several rooms, washed some clothes and a load of towels, which are drying out on the deck, done dishes, put things away, puttered around, and here I sit.  There's always a bit to do, letting the dogs in and out, writing a list, checking the weather...but I do need to get a job one of these days I think...




17 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Della. I think you are the only one who can decide what to do about the vaccine πŸ’‰ I didn’t give it a second thought, but that’s me. Whatever you decide it’s the right decision for you. That’s how you have to look at it. Talk to your nurse daughters and get their perspective, but I’m sure you have already. Good luck. πŸ₯°

Orange kitty has made himself at home in the stroller, hasn’t he? He’s such a pretty cat. Margaret will be happy to move into her new house! How exciting for them. Your first house is always so special for some reason.

I just took my dear old Hudson for a nice walk in the park at the end of our street and my hubby took Bindi to the off leash. Hudson still is having problems with his perianal fistular so I just keep him in his flexi and he can go wherever he likes. Dear old soul. It is gorgeous today 🌞

Enjoy the rest of the day!

Marilyn from Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦

Susan said...

I know exactly how you feel Della. I never planned to get the vaccine and when I got Covid I thought “Oh good, natural immunity”. Still, the CDC recommends you still need the vaccine. So yesterday I saw a local pharmacy had gotten a limited number of the single dose J&J vaccines so I got one today. Two of my fellow choir members recently died from Covid and I think that helped me decide.
♥️♥️♥️Susan

Anonymous said...

I am doing it, Della! I'm walking almost every day. But my arms and gut need some attention. We'll see what else gets done, ha.😌
Valerie

Anonymous said...

P.S. it seems like you are leaning yes on the vaccine. I say keep praying, and then go with your gut. It will be ok!
Valerie

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you can make up your own mind regarding the vaccine, but I would like to give my opinion on the subject. If I were you, I would absolutely go ahead and get it. You have seen how it affected Paul, and the virus is so inconsistent in how it affects people. You are so very, very loved by your family, what on earth would they do if something happened to you? I look at the vaccine as a blessing and have had my first shot of Moderna. Not really looking forward to the second one as I know there will be side affects, but Covid is just so scary. On a lighter note, those carrot cake cookies look amazing! Sure would love the recipe if Margaret is willing to share.

Laurie in California

Martha said...

So far I have no plans to get the vaccine. I'm waiting. But I'm not sure for what. I don't typically get the flu or the flu shot. Once it's in, it stays in, and therefore I want to be one hundred percent certain ahead of getting it. Plus, I've seen enough people get sick after getting it, and being told "See? your immune system is working!" that I'm not sure I'm ready to make myself ill with a vaccination. *sigh* It takes me back to being a kindergartner where they lined us up, marched us upstairs, and filed us through a room where we were all vaccinated, one after another, for rubella. (1969) I looked at the needle, jumped, and got a second jab for the jumping. (Yes, I still have excellent titers for rubella.) I thought it was weird when I was five, and it still feels weird today... So, as long as I am undecided, I'm not getting it.
How's that for two cents?

Brenda said...

Of course we vaccinate. Can you imagine schools if parents did not...same with this one. I remember when polio vaccine came...people afraid...

Terri D said...

Busy, busy!! I have had both of my Moderna shots. I only had a sore arm after both. Many of my friends have had both with little or no pain. My 93-year-old friend had both and she had no reaction. It has freed us up to visit and feel much more comfortable out and about. Everyone has to decide for themselves though. Do what feels right for you. Keep us posted!

Anonymous said...

Hi Della- the vaccine is a personal decision. For me I have decided the risk is acceptable. I think my choice is the right one (would be a bit odd if I didn’t!) and while I think you & most others should make the same choice that I did, I respect your right to make a different one! I am glad you are being thoughtful & have such a great crew of medical professionals that can give you science based information directly. I hope you do get it :) but mostly I hope you stay healthy and make the decision you feel is right for you!

I think we struggle as a society sometimes with having conviction but withholding judgment.. I have a strong conviction that getting the vaccine is the right choice for me & many others. But. You may have a different conviction and just because we disagree does NOT mean I have to judge or disrespect you. I think this is a big problem in this country today. We can have different convictions but still approach each other with grace & compassion. If we approach each other from an immediate place of judgment or disrespect, we just grow further apart and create further strife.

Jan said...

My husband and I both had the virus in October and felt like we had the flu, but then one of our younger cousins is currently in the hospital on a ventilator. It seems to affect everyone so differently. We debated about getting the vaccine, but went ahead and got it since they say it will strengthen our immunity. I think everyone needs to decide for themselves and let others decide for themselves without any lectures! πŸ˜‰

Kristi said...

My entire family has been vaccinated bow, some with both already and several with 50%, what a relief. Not one of us had a reaction more than a sore arm. I say go for it.

someone in oregon said...

If you take a serious look at what very good Dr. are critiquing about the "vaccine" and if you really understand it's NOT a true vaccine and look at what it will do to your immune system.... you would absolutely stay away from it!!!

Michelle said...

The birds you made with the kids are so cute, as is your Little Orange Guy.

The vaccine question is a personal choice,as with everything, there are pros and cons. I just hope it stays a choice and not something we are all forced to do in order to to travel, work, gather in public, etc.

I am not planning on getting it. I’m 47 and healthy, rarely sick except an occasional cold/virus for a few days. My family has been exposed several times to people with Covid and lots of tourists from everywhere, been in doctors offices, hospitals (I had surgery 8 wks ago) and made it through the whole year just fine (in sw Florida, no less, where we aren’t as careful as other places). I don’t get the flu shot either. I don’t think the benefits to either of those vaccines outweigh the risks in my own situation, but obviously for those at higher risk it might be different. If you do get the vaccine, you will most likely be fine. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Anonymous said...

Why don’t you take a Covid antibody test? I feel certain you must be immune. Then hopefully you could verify immunity without the risk of the vaccine.
—-Bethany

Unknown said...

My family has had the first dose of the Pfizer vaccine. I will literally do anything I can to get things "normaler" :-) I get the flu shot because my employers offers it for free at my workplace. If I had to make an effort, I'm not sure I would do it. Lazy as the day is long, here! But the vaccine is a personal choice- good luck with your decision!

Your kitty is adorable!

Mert

Unknown said...

My mom is not in good health and got covid two times. The first time she was just tired and lost smell and taste, little stuffy. The second time absolutely no symptoms. She works in a nursing home so tested regularly. My step dad has COPD and heart problems and never got it.
My friends entire family (husband and 2 kids) got it and the worst symptom was no smell or taste for her. Kids had no symptoms. She got the vaccination due to work and was A LOT worse after that than with covid.
I know healthy people my age (35) who have long haulers and are still exhausted 3 months after negative test results.
My dad got the vaccination and had no complications while another friend of mine my age (also a nurse who advises against the vaccine) was sick for 5 days after her work required vaccination.
It is such a weird thing and had to know what to do!

Kara said...

Everyone in my family age 16+ has gotten the first shot. All of my extended family has gotten one or two shots. There has been one single adverse reaction in all 50+ people in my known vaccinated group (ranging from age 16 to 82), and that was my brother-in-law who is a drama llama anyways, who took to his bed for five days, essentially with "a touch of the vapors."

One of my friends, mid 40's, had Covid last year, and still has not fully regained 100% lung function almost a year later, and its looking like her lungs have sustained permanent damage. At the same time, another friend in the same group also got Covid and has had zero symptoms. My child who had Covid is fully recovered and no one else in the family got sick despite being terrible at quarantining.