summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Sunday, April 25, 2021

yes, I did.....

 Shh, I ordered a new comforter for my room.  It was a long, difficult decision, even though it was only $41, on sale.  I don't like to buy stuff that isn't necessary, and it certainly isn't.  We have plenty of blankets and comforters, but my "new" room is so nice, and I had a certain look in mind, so when I saw this...I mulled and thought, then decided to just buy it.


Isn't it pretty?  It's just what I wanted, I hope it's as nice in person.  This obviously isn't my bed, it's the stock photo from Kohl's.  I don't have a ladder with one blanket next to my bed, that's like a recipe for disaster, I'd have all my things hanging on that ladder.  It's been challenging, but I have managed to keep my room clean for months now, nary a stack of clothing on that dresser top!  Nothing but what's supposed to be there, a plant, a few pictures, you know, like a normal person's dresser.  I have never ever lasted this long before starting the stack...innocently, just one item, draped ever so neatly, one item which becomes the pile...

Yesterday, I did some vacuuming, cleaned the foyer, the front door, scrubbed the front porch and hosed it off, washed the deck steps, planted grass seed, washed some windows from the outside (not on a ladder, just reachable ones), then had some grandkids over...six of them!  They played in the sand box on the deck, and in the water table, and of course put water IN the sand box, and got quite messy...they had to be showered off, then we cleaned up that sand and got out doll house stuff...

Today, church, then Emily and I grilled sausages and hot dogs, for the families to have when the kids were having soccer practice.  We stayed around talking for several hours, then home...ah, home.  Miss Char and Miss Cam have been asking to see a movie, a Korean movie, with subtitles, which is in theaters right now...well, okay, fine, you have to reserve and pay online, reserve seats because there is limited seating right now.  Then Paul, bless his heart, volunteered to take them instead of me.  I was so glad, I don't love those movies/shows they watch...ugh.  

So home, so quiet right now...Sonja K. is doing homework, Jonathan is working on the lawn mower, and here I am, with the snoring dogs.

I made bacon and eggs, and French toast for dinner, so easy.

Jonathan and I are buying our plane tickets tonight to go to Oregon to see Kathryn, Darius, baby Achilles, and the newborn who is due in June.  We are thinking to go a maybe 6 days after her due date, because last time we went out there, we had to leave when the baby was 6 hours old....I would love to be with her for the birth, but I also don't want to MISS the whole thing!

Anyway.  Lots of fun stuff going on, all the time, here, yet nothing big.  It's gorgeous outside, so many things blossoming and blooming, how can anyone not believe in God?

2 comments:

Terri D said...

The new comforter looks fabulous! Sounds like a good weekend and glad you got to miss the Korean movie (I hate foreign films with subtitles!). Hope they enjoyed it though! Have a good week ahead! xo

Babbalou said...

You don't have to post this if you don't want to, but your post reminded me of something that happened maybe 35 years ago. Yes, I am old.

I had a friend who I worked with, we became good friends. She moved away, I moved as well.
But we occasionally kept in touch. (Remember 35 years ago - no cell phones, no email, long distance was so expensive.) So we wrote letters, occasionally. We were both architects and back then we were worked like dogs and made very little money.

So one Saturday I was in my office, trying to learn how to use a computer (back when it was all DOS commands.) And I got this overwhelming feeling that my friend was pregnant. And that I needed to talk to her. She was not married. We were both 30-something years old.

She called me shortly later that very day to tell me she'd gotten married. I told her about my feeling that she was pregnant. Long pause. She admitted she thought she might be pregnant but she hadn't even gone to the doctor yet and had not had a test.

Turns out, yes she was pregnant.

When it was near her due date I booked a train to visit her, hoping to be there for the birth. She had no insurance and was having the baby at home with a midwife.

So I arrived at her home. Soon after I arrived she got a call from her family on another continent. There had been an accident. Her father was dead, her mother was in critical condition.

I was there for a week, she didn't have the baby. But as she said, "You weren't meant to be here for the birth, you were meant to be here for the death."

It's not a happy story so I am not hoping you post this. But it's just a story about how God works in ways we don't understand. I am not very religious in any traditional sense, I know that you are. But I have other stories that are mysteries far beyond this. The connection between me and my friend is not logical.