summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Friday, April 9, 2021

snarky as the day is long, and happy birthday to Paul!

 But first, I went for my walk again, three days in a row!  

The rolls of hay...and a pretty sky!

The evil hill...

Going on a walk sounds so lighthearted and simple.  But when you're fat, and have bad knees, and everything aches to some degree or another, and there are evil hills, well, it's a mental battle to even approach the sneakers.  My mind simply wants to sabotage me.  Oh no, it says, have a coffee and relax FIRST, go later...or, It might rain, perhaps you should just go tomorrow.

So getting out the door is 90% of the battle.  Then the walk itself, oh dear.  It's lovely and relaxing, but when you're fat and have bad knees and everything aches, it's hard to concentrate on the scenery, or the birds tweeting.  The knee twinges, and the lower back aches, and the sucking wind when going up the hill, it's a mild form of torture.  I know, I am a drama queen.  It's not that bad.  But, it IS a little bad.

The best part about it is getting home, and feeling that accomplishment, that I did it!

I've been trying to fit in some push ups every day, and lifting my ten pound weights every other day, so little workouts.  I realize that for all my moaning and grumping and resistance about it all, I actually love that sore muscle feeling, and I have a bit more energy.  It is definitely a good mental boost, to get some exercise.

Today is Paul's birthday.  He's not much of a birthday person, but I am wracking my brain trying to think of something to get him that he will love rapturously, that will be cheap, because hey, I'm buying it with his money, ha, and that I can find today, preferably at Aldi or the thrift store...nothing like waiting 'til the last minute.

I can't get him something for his truck, because he doesn't have a truck anymore.  It is on our to-do list, to figure out whether we just want to get an SUV and a trailer, or another truck.  Trucks are so expensive.  

Aldi is my destination this morning, to get burger and hot dogs for tomorrow.  Maybe I'll get an inspiration while I'm there, and stumble upon something really cool for him.

Thank you all for your positive comments concerning my decision to wait and see, with the vaccine.  There have been numerous bad reactions to the J&J, which was what I was signed up for.  

If you read the comments to my yesterday's post, there is one from "anonymous".  She (or he) stated, 


Because I'm snarky, I did think of several answers to this comment.

But because I don't want to be snarky, I'll keep them to myself.

Have a really good weekend!

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Good morning Della 👋 Good for you with the walking every day. I know how easy it is to talk ourselves out of it 🙄 Maybe Paul would like a nice ribeye steak for supper tonight...........sautéed mushrooms and an oven baked potato till the skin is all crispy then cut in half and slathered with butter and salt and pepper! AND a Caesar salad!! Oh maybe it’s me who would like that 🤣🤣 I hope he has a lovely birthday and it’s so good he’s feeling better.


Have a great day!!

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

Anonymous said...

That person is right, though. It's not completely about yourself, it's about protecting others who are not you.

Human beings are naturally selfish and don't consider others and they really need to. For the better of the human race and the earth we live on.

Anonymous said...

Ha ha, I could think of a few comebacks, too! Have a lovely weekend and happy birthday to Paul!
Valerie

Billie Jo said...

I wish we were neighbors because you would inspire me to get out the door! You are so right. That is the hardest part! Once I am out, I am ok. I don't LOVE it like some people do. I am all about coffee and a book on the couch! And honestly, I don't hear people pressuring everyone to do that! Relaxation is good for your health too, right? Happy Birthday to your man. Maybe a coupon for a date nite? Have a wonderful weekend, my friend. And have to love the Anonymous comments. At least put your name and own your remarks! LOL

Michelle said...

LOL about some of the comments you get. Oh, boy. :)

16 blessings'mom said...

Marilyn, that does sound delicious! I bought a sirloin tip roast because it was $3.99 a pound. I dredged it in flour, salt and pepper, and seared it in olive oil. It'll go in the oven soon, and we'll serve it with a nice salad, and some air fryer onion rings.
Anonymous, you are right, we are very selfish as human beings.
Valerie, I try to behave myself. And thank you.
Billie Jo, I am a book and coffee girl too! I also notice that the Anonymous comments don't leave their name...oh well....

Terri D said...

We have an Aldi but it is 10 miles north of where I live. I have only ventured up there twice. I should go more often. Hope you found something for Paul's birthday! I delete snarky comments when I get one on my blog. Not worth being snarky back... just hit DELETE! It feels good! LOL Listen, I completely understand about the knees. I got cortisone shots for 10 years before I finally got my new knees. One in August 2019 and the other in May 2020. Best thing ever. My knees don't hurt anymore and I am enjoying walking again. I am still fat, but the walks feel great. Have a good weekend, friend! xo

Anonymous said...

I would be happy to leave my name. It’s Dana and I live in Pennsylvania. No one else on here provides any more information than that.

Martha said...

I love you because you are snarky. We Snarkies must stick together.
(Snarky came up in a private message to me last night so it's fresh on my mind.)
Oh, boy... The comments people make.

Linda said...

How rude of that Anonymous, just saying...I am not going to judge in regards to the vaccine or not...for us, its a sharp NO. Now, the dr. office and gym are bugging us...NO is the sharp response. STOP BUGGING US. Oh wait, maybe I did judge, LOLOL.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY PAUL! I hope you are feeling better. smiles.

16 blessings'mom said...

Terri, Aldi has improved a lot in the last few years. I do like to check ads for other stores too, so we don't get stuck in a rut. I did not find anything for Paul...but I am putting in a lot of effort to have the kids over today for a cook out, so there IS that. I see what you're saying about the delete button, I think you might be nicer than I am. I also don't want to only print comments that support my point of view...anyway, I am so glad for you that you got new knees! That is fantastic. It is on my to-do list, ha.
Dana, hello!
Martha, thank you for a huge smile and a genuine laugh this morning.
Linda, ha, I know. It's a crazy world. I'm glad that some are feeling safer and think the vaccine is the answer to prayers, I've mulled that myself. But it's also so untested, so many with side effects, so new, and I hate the way it's pushed...college students being forced, ect. The last I checked, this was a free country. It does get murky concerning public health, I do know that...but if YOU are vaccinated, and the vaccines are so wonderful, why on earth would you care if I am?

16 blessings'mom said...

And in answering my own question, there are more questions, which we don't know the answers to...in the beginning of this pandemic, there were mentions of T-cell immunity, and they were testing neighborhoods, and found that when like one in ten were positive, or one in twenty, most of the others had this immunity, either from previous corona viruses, or from being in contact with Covid-19 and fighting it off. All talk of this has ceased, it doesn't fit with the vaccination narrative. If a society can come to a natural immunity, especially for younger ones, and just vaccinate the old ones...? I don't know all the answers...but I am thankful that at this point anyway, we are still allowed to research, read, and try to figure out what is best for us as individuals.

PamL said...

The whole asymptomatic thing has been debunked so many times....if this virus acts like every other virus, it's just not true that you can have NO symptoms and infect others. It's just common sense, actually, but that seems to have been abandoned lately. Happy birthday to your husband- it looks like you put on a nice party!