summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, April 28, 2021

out for delivery....

 Is there anything more exciting than expecting a package?  Okay, there probably is, but for those of us with rip-tearing exciting lives, that UPS truck stopping at the house, oh yeah!  The hard part is when your dear husband works from home, and wanders into the kitchen while you're hauling in the package, and says, "oh, what's that?"  um, well, something we REALLY needed.  

So today, my new comforter is out for delivery.  Kohl's notoriously delivers things in huge-0 boxes, so I thought I'd warn Paul, thought it'd be better than the arrival of one or two giant boxes...because shh, Margaret is also getting a comforter...we were looking at them together, and she likes the same one, and who's going to visit both her house and my house, and say, well, that's odd, you guys have the same comforter!?  No one, that's who.   

So I told Paul this morning, "Just so you know, I did buy a comforter, it was really cheap, and it's coming today, but don't freak, there's one for Margaret coming too..."  Okay.  That's all he said.  phew.

I do try to be careful with money, and weigh and question whether we really need things or not, and this time the answer was clear:  we did NOT need this.   

And yay, it'll be here today!

Life isn't always skipity hoppity happy though, there are definitely trials.  Teenagers, for example.  For some strange reason, I thought this final crop of teenagers was going to be easy.  No challenges.  Piece of cake.  Reasonable, peaceful, smooth.   The youngest four are one fourth of the kids, a mere 25%.  I am not juggling babies, toddlers, and small children while raising them, so I was mistaken in thinking that this stage would be so simple, as the two "little" girls went from playing with dolls and doing gymnastics to watching Korean dramas and skateboarding, and Jon just plain grew up and got his own opinions, and Sonja turned into a college student who knows quite a bit....

I'm not complaining, I am wringing every bit of enjoyment I can out of these last years of having our kids under our roof, but it's not always all sunshine and roses.  In fact, sometimes I get my feelings hurt.  Last evening, they were discussing important matters, and one of them said, "I don't want to end up not being able to do anything....like Mom."  excuse ME?  

They think I am so old, and one of them seems to be stuck in Automatic Arguing, even if I'm agreeing with her.   

Teenagers like to stay up late and sleep in and eat all the snacks, I already know this.  So why am I still surprised by it?

The challenge lies in learning when to put the foot down, because my JOB is to parent, not to be their friend...but to do it in wisdom, so as not to cause damage, not to just be the bull in the china shop, enforcing, crushing their spirits. But I also can't parent with the mindset that I want them to like me,  yet if I walk in God's grace, with a fear to sin, with a fear to react in anger, with a desire to be patient and gentle and kind and not demanding, things go well.  But that doesn't just come about naturally, I have to be awake and in NEED, praying for help and wisdom.  It's a fight of faith, we don't get days off!

..."and let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart...therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all, especially to those who are in the household of faith." (Gal 6:9-10)

We do grow weary of doing good, at least I do, but God renews my strength, renews my longing to remain in goodness.   


Tulips from the yard, because they're so lovely.

Today, I am going out and about all by my lonesome, again.  I have a mission:  to find birthday presents for Jonathan and Sonja, and perhaps Miss Charlotte Claire.  Their birthdays are all within 12 days, then Joseph's is five days later.  I love/hate wandering around trying to find something, but at least when I'm by myself, I don't have to explain why I'm getting so off track, looking at the clearance section in the baby department, or trying on sneakers.  

When you have so many kids, you want each one to feel especially special, especially on their birthday.  You want them to know that you truly love them, and haven't forgotten their birthday until the last minute, getting them a crappy gift, yet reminding them that you DID just buy them jeans recently...not that that has ever happened, ha.

Far be if from me to procrastinate!

Yesterday, I went out by myself to get groceries for the week, but since I was not with any sigh-ers or eye-rollers, I went to the thrift store, because you KNOW now I am eligible for the senior discount there on Tuesdays, 25% off.  I was slightly disappointed that the cashier believed me so readily, didn't ask me for proof because no way do I look 55, but she just glanced at me and gave me the discount.  Anyway, I meandered up and down the aisles, but only spent $12, on a little train set new in the box for some rainy day with the grandkids, a little jacket for Tennyson, a shirt for me which I think is accidentally a little girls XL, oops.

Then, the dollar store...I bought three plants (one is basil, smells so good!), and some granola bars.

Then a grocery store, Tops, for a few things, then to Aldi for the rest.  

Last night's dinner:  scrambled eggs and ham for me, the girls had sandwiches, I don't know what Paul had, aren't I a good wife?  Sometimes dinner is forage style.  I had to leave for junior activity club, so...that's my excuse.  There WAS a whole huge baggy of leftover ham though, we had ham the night before...it was 99 cents a pound after Easter, at Target, a nice spiral sliced ham (not expired, good until the end of May).  I roasted sweet potatoes, Brussel sprouts, and chopped apple, plus served unsweetened applesauce, to which I like to add a dash of nutmeg, but the kids use the cinnamon sugar shaker on theirs.

Tonight for dinner:  who knows?  Certainly not me, yet.  I might grill some burgers if it's not raining....but taco salad is always good, too.  I do have a general meal plan, we get stuck in ruts here, same food over and over again. 

Anyway....off I go, all by my lonesome, poor me, ha!


6 comments:

Cathy said...

Have fun!!

Terri D said...

That leftover spiral-sliced ham is always so good! WHew! I don't know how you do all that you do! One day the kiddos will understand all that you do and have done. They will!! xo

Joybells said...

Automatic Arguing...you named the phenomenon that we are experiencing with a 6 YO! In her case I think it's more of an Automatic No until she can get her head wrapped around the change. Even good change, LOL.

While I was living with my parents I never saw the value of a stable home, filled with constant love, like I see it today. Because guess what, evidently that doesn't happen automatically just because I'm a parent in my own home now! I'm appreciating more and more what my parents gave us, and especially my mom who never finished college or had a high-dollar job but was scrappy, creative and determined, just like you. And who threw up her hands and laughed when things spilled and the day went sideways. :) I'm sure she got her strength from God, because she didn't get a lot of glory or appreciation from her 8 kids until long after. :) Cheers to a new comforter!

Joy from Salem

Unknown said...

Hi Della 👋 Your kids love you lots.......just being ratty teenagers, but you know that already 😌I was shopping today too......alone 🥳🥳 Sometimes my hubby will accompany me although I’m not sure why he would want to. If we go to a mall I am popping in and out of stores to take a look, but he just sits in ‘’the husband’s seats’.......you know the ones in a mall.......and waits patiently for my return!! Never complains or inquires how long I will be!! Very patient for sure. Those tulips are beautiful! Mine are about 5” above the ground, so it will be a while before I see flowers. I hope your comforter is as beautiful as you are imagining.........post some pictures! My husband is like yours, doesn’t really care what I buy as he knows I’m careful. I got a new comforter/ bedspreads thing before Christmas and we both love it. Tonight we are having chicken wings.......from my butcher...........they are delicious and SO BIG !! These are seasoned with salt and pepper and I’m roasting them along with some butternut squash, yams and little red potatoes. When the potatoes are all soft I push them down with the masher and sprinkle grated Parmesan or Grana Padana cheese and back in the oven for 5 plus minutes to melt!! Ohhhhhhh yum!!! So that’s my story for today..............I hope you day was good!!

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

Anonymous said...

I'm having the most trouble lately keeping up with the dishes. We have a chore chart, but honestly daily dishes are more than any one of us can handle, and half the time the teenagers are gone and can't help, even if their names are on it that day. I feel like I have been to soft on them all over the years when it comes to work, and now it is really showing in our sink...oh well, we keep trying.
I'm rereading a really good book: The Psychology of Money. So interesting! It talks a lot about how different our attitudes and behaviors toward money can be, based on life experiences and other factors. Good stuff.
Valerie

16 blessings'mom said...

Valerie, that's the thing with teenagers, they start coming and going, and don't have time for chores, it's like the first thing off their list, ha. Better too soft on them than too hard on them, right?
Marilyn, your husband sounds like a saint, and your chicken wing dinner, mmmm!!!!
Joy, some kids are just so easily shaken by change...your mom, what a blessing. And yes, the new comforter!!!:)
Thank you, Cathy, and Terri!