summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Saturday, June 26, 2010

beach day

Before we went home, I asked the kids if I could take a picture of them all...they were very good about it, all except for Charlotte Claire, who threw a mini fit, which ended abrubtly when I promised her fries on the way home.

In the back, Emily 25, Mirielle 20, and Mali 16 - then Evelyn 10, Sonja 8,and - Kathryn 12 in front of Evelyn, Charlotte Claire in the front left, Jonathan 6, Margaret 13, Camille 2, and Suzanne 9....
















We didn't stay for the sunset this time...we got there a bit after noon and left around 7:30...that was long enough...well, not really, but Paul wasn't with us and I missed him....







Jonathan liked to chase the seagulls. They are beautiful creatures, but very aggressive. Camille was eating her hot dog, and according to her, "A CHICKEN TOOK MY HOTDOG!!".....



Due to budget cuts, the beach was actually closed....no lifeguards on duty. Which made it extra nice...no stupid whistling about stupid broken rules....




I mean, it isn't every day they get to have the lifeguard chair all to themselves!
Suzanne, Evelyn, Jon, and Sonja








Kathryn Grace

Charlotte Claire







Margaret and Camille

The nice mommy who drove the big van all the way to the nice beach....



Jonathan Robert....he didn't seem to mind that he was at the beach with ten of his sisters....all of them but Abigail.













We roasted marshmallows over the coals after the hot dogs...her face tells the whole story.













I brought lots of soda and lemonade and ice water, and let them just have as much as they liked. And they liked!









Little Miss Camille....she is just as sweet and cuddly and bratty as can be...she was in her element at the beach...she didn't seem to think it was a waste of energy to empty the lake into the sand, one bucket at a time.....















Sonja K.

















Jonathan















And Mirielle...

They buried each other, they played on the playground, we played in the waves, (which was a blast), and we sat in the sun....they chased seagulls and ate chips and fruit and drank soda...and we sat in the sun....oh, it was glorious...
It is becoming glaringly obvious how much easier it is to do these things without a baby in tow. No prams on the beach, or playpens, no nursing in the shade, no worrying about keeping a baby out of the sun....(I would STILL take the baby though...), but I am enjoying the relaxation....
We saw a young woman arrive with a tiny baby....no hat, not covered from the brilliant sun in any way, not protected from the strong breeze....we really wanted that baby. But we decided not to ask for her....I just said a little prayer instead....
And now these children need some attention...I have swept and cleaned up and had breakfast with them and given Rosie a bath...now they want me...























5 comments:

Tereza said...

Looks like a great time was had by all!

Mike and Katie said...

If you ever come to my house I'm going to have to check your pockets before you leave to make sure you're not trying to walk off with one of my babies! :)

I find myself having those thoughts, "It will be so much easier when..." But then I remind myself how fast babyhood passes and try to enjoy every fleeting moment.

Darla said...

I keep reading your blog, sometimes not for days and days, then I catch up...I just haven't had the energy to comment.

I just enjoy all your posts. It makes life just seem so normal. I have those same exact thoughts so often...I feel like I give, give, sacrifice, and give, only to be ruded at by certain individuals, we will leave them unidentified (MY CHILDREN usually). It is such of a good reminder to me to just kick those thoughts out the back door 'cause all they usually do is result in grouching then at these little individuals (and sometimes at the one big individual that shares my life with the little ones). That isn't right...I try to remind myself that this is just part of my job, teaching my kids right from wrong, to appreciate and be thankful...not to be all grouchy that I'm not being treated how I feel I should!

Thank you for all your good posts!

Darla said...

You have a beautiful bunch, btw!

16 blessings'mom said...

Yes, Tereza...it was just one of those days that seemed blessed. All days are, but some are just glorious. And Katie, I would NEVER take one of your babies...no matter how much I would be tempted to! Life is easier without a baby, but every month that I am not pregnant, I give a little sigh, and feel like having a grand cry. Darla, hello. Yes, it is a good work to refrain from going back and forth with those know-it-all teenagers...at least I am assuming you are talking about teenagers, although even my younger ones can be quite rude sometimes. I find that if/when I over-react, it makes a big deal out of something that could have just been quickly forgotten.

And thank you for leaving comments, it is great fun for me! I really appreciate it.