summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

sad day happy day...

Here is why I cried already this morning:

A 13 year old boy, a few counties over, baby sat for a family on occasion, the children were 5 and 2 and 1. I shouldn't have even read about it, but how can a young boy be so depraved? He did awful things to that two year old, and then he killed her. I just cried for that mother, for that trusting little child. How can God bear to see the whole wide world?

Yes, there is sadness in this world. I also read about a young man who died at age 22, who was severely disabled, yet his family described him as "a gift from God, his life was a blessing.."

I also read about the new cigarette tax increase in New York State...$1.60 increase! That will bring them to $9.20 a pack! That is crazy. I do not smoke but....I think it is mean. Just plain mean.

Today is the last full day of school for the younger kids, with tomorrow a half/day. It just drags on and on. Suzanne went yesterday because she had a pajama party. She wore Gramma's night gown. For some reason, that just cracks me up. She wears it around here all the time. (we washed it for her Sunday night, so it would be nice and clean for pajama day) It would bring Gramma such great joy to know that Suze wears that thing still. It isn't too gorgeous, but it is a connection to Gramma for Suzanne. She has been gone for four years this summer, and Suzanne is only nine. But Gramma really meant something to her, and the rest of us really enjoy seeing Suze wear that thing around, too. The kids in her class probably just think she's poor.

I was planning to take the kids out to the camper today or tomorrow ( I do not respect HALF/DAYS of school. Too long of a bus ride), but the forecast is dismal, warm humid thunderstormy. I am going out there this morning to get the propane tank to get it filled, because the refridgerator doesn't kick on unless the propane is on, then it will switch to electric. yes, this is a boring detail. And yes, we are spoiled campers. But my goodness, camping with a whole bunch of kids is and has been challenging, so we decided a long time ago that a nice camper was a good investment. We bought it when Aaron was a baby, so we only had six kids. It is a thirty five foot camper, with air-conditioning and a big refridgerator, and a separate bedroom in the front with a queen sized bed. Triple bunks in the back, and a dinette that converts to a bed, and a fold down couch. Plus room in the back for a pack n play. Before that we had a Coleman pop-up camper, which was nice too. Because we don't camp in places that have electricity, usually, so we can't use the a.c., and pop-ups let the breeze in. And yes, this is boring.

Charlotte Claire is helping Camille find her new flip flops. I bought them for her last evening at Target, they have cute little straps in the back, and she was so thrilled. She came walking out here this morning, not exactly back to normal, but she's getting there.

Last night I stayed up way too late again. Mirielle is leaving the day after tomorrow, and Aaron and Sam are going today. We won't all be together again as a family for quite a few weeks, and it is sad for Mommy.

Last night I told the kids two bed time stories....the first one was about a mommy who was way too tired to take the kids to the beach because she had SO much work to do. Her children played Wii and rode bikes and played Webkins and read their books and had a good old time, while she swept and dusted and did the dishwasher, folded clothes and hung out towels....then when she sat down for a rest, they asked when they could go to the beach...the tired mommy just was too tired.... WAY too tired for the beach.... Am I mean, or what? Anyway, the story ended with the kids deciding that if they helped Mommy lots and lots each morning, then Mommy would ALWAYS want to go do fun things and take them in the pool and bring them to the beach!!! yes, I am mean. But hey....

The girls are hilarious. They are playing dollhouse. Charlotte Claire's girl is named Anaya, and Camille's is The Big Sister. Their mom told them to wash the tractor in the swimming pool. Charlotte Claire doesn't really want Camille to play with her, but I told her she would get treasures in heaven...Camille thought I meant SHE would get them, and she shouted, "I am going to get TREASURES IN HEAVEN!" Charlotte Claire just looked at me and rolled her eyes.

Things I am thankful this morning....

1. Coffee.

2. Rosie's cage. Since we started putting her in there before the bus arrives, the Getting-the-kids-out-the-door stress has gone down 25% because there is no more risk of her going out and coralling the bus. (We have not yet eliminated the I-can't-find-my-other-shoe or the oops-, where-is-my-library-book syndrome.)

3. Rosie. As I was hoping, her pain-in-the-neckness is being slowly eclipsed by just plain enjoyability. At least to me. I see her through rose colored glasses, she is my sweetie. A few people here do not like her very much, I do not know why. She is exuberantly happy to see me each morning, when I let her out of the cage to take her out for her morning walk, she is so happy, not only her tail wags, but her entire backside. She cannot contain her joy. Every single day. Who else in this world is ALWAYS so glad to see ME?

4. My big van. The air conditioning doesn't work, and I sometimes call it the Driving Garbage Can because it gets so messy, but I can put so many kids in there, it opens up the opportunities to go places......

5. Paul. He is such a good husband. And I am still desparately in love with him. And for some strange reason, he seems to love me too.

6. Our swimming pool. It is clean and clear and warm and heavenly.

7. Wipes. I use so many wipes. Camille just sneezed, and I will spare the details, but wipes are so nice.

8. I do not have to buy diapers anymore. I am not sure if this belongs on this list though, it is a sadness to me. I have had pumpkins in diapers for over 25 years, so it is still strange to me. Miss Camille will be in undies instead of pull ups now that the cast is off. (with the cast on, I put her in pullups because if she DID pee in undies, it would go down her leg and make a smelly cast....) She seems to have caught on to doing her poops on the toilet every day. She is such a big girl, even though I TRIED to baby her, and still do.....

Now I have to really start the day, hmm, what should I put in the washer first.....?

No comments: