summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

afternoon.....

Eight of the kids are watching "Curious George". Well, now seven because I just asked Evelyn to make me a cup of coffee. I had to bribe her with some silly bands next time I go to the store. I apparently already owe her seven dollars, and now two packs of silly bands. But it is worth it.

Okay...going swimming with Kathryn, Evelyn, Suzanne, Sonja, Jonathan, Charlotte Claire, and Camille: today the water is literally bathwater. It doesn't even cool one off, but it does make it bearable and enjoyable to be outside. Jonathan doesn't use a floatie this year, the pool is four ft. deep, his chin is above the water....he doesn't make me too nervous, but he does like to get my hair wet...for some reason, this is always great fun for him. Charlotte Claire wears a floatie suit, but she still goes underwater and swims like a fish. She does her share of coughing and sputtering, which is maddening, but she always has a smile on her face. Camille wears a floatie suit AND a Speedo vest, she floats nicely. She was being a brat today, she wanted to hold on to the front of my suit. Suzanne got her to let go by taking hold of her and pulling hard, then distracting her and playing with her....it is too hot for them to fight about sitting on the ladder, so they fight over the single pair of surviving goggles instead. Well, they mostly share nicely....Today I made up songs about them until I was driving even myself crazy, but it was fun. We sing and dance and do ballet and I hope the neighbors don't hate us, all the noise we make in there.

The $3.99 Slip-n-slide was certainly worth it....the hose water is deliciously cold, and even those of us who don't slide down Slip-n-slides like to stand in the mist it throws. Unfortunately, Sonja just came in and told me that it ripped. The hose was kinked and when they straightened it out,it blew a hole in it...oh well. They are still using it, even though they failed to find the duct tape.

The problem with having this air conditioning on is that it feels just nice enough in here to deter outside play. I was much more compelled to get them into the pool yesterday when it was unbearable in here.

One thing nice about the heat is the speed at which the clothes dry out on the deck. It is just too hot to run the dryer.

I hate hate hate to say this, but I am getting a teeny tiny bit bored. I need to DO something. Not just clean or go swimming, something different. I don't know if I like this or not. I keep thinking about my sewing machine....I need to do something creative. Seriously, all these years my major occupation was having babies, and for me that meant making new car seat covers and buying new clothes and getting everything ready, and chasing toddlers while nursing babies, it was just always so busy. Now....we don't even have nap time anymore here.....unless they conk out on the couch. I am adjusting to it, but I feel an emptiness. Maybe it is time to start taking those college classes....not that I am overflowing with energy or anything. I mean, there is plenty here to keep me busy, but I don't feel like cleaning out cupboards or organizing closets. Maybe I need to plan a grand adventure for the kids and I...hmm. Do I have the summertime blues? Me, who LOVES summer? Too much of a good thing?

3 comments:

cheryl said...

you are bored because you miss me!! sorry for the crummy typing, but norwegian keyboards are different. and i am not that clever æø,, cool, huh, where is that question mark.. anyhoo, the pram opportunities here are simply the best.. everyone is nicer that the one before.. i would never be able to choose, and i did embarrass myself just a little when i took a picture of a silvercross.. people think i am oohing over their babies, which i am, theyære so beautiful, blonde, blue eyes, and a lot of younger girls, like 9,to 12 year olds are seen pushing them around in groups, just heavenly.. i am so easily entertained by babies, children and prams.. and the countryside is breathtakingly beautiful, too.. and i am feeling quite well, and i am very surprised. who would have thought.. i believe God is blessing me, what else would it be. well, i hope this prints.. i miss you guys so much, it's hard not to pick up the phone and call, and i keep telling the girls that i must remember to tell della this or that..

16 blessings'mom said...

Finally some comments!!! Then I saw that THREE of them are from one person, my dear sister Cheryl...but they are nice all the same....I miss you guys too.

Tereza said...

oh I know what you mean about not feeling like cleaning out cupboards and doing yet more housework!:) I feel the same...OFTEN. I'm telling myself that is part of my job:)...not that I have so much time to clean out cupboards or clean more! HA!