summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, July 12, 2010

some quiet time...

wow, I have not had the house to myself in a long time! Well, they are all here, but they are sleeping. Even Rosie, sprawled at my feet. The rest of them are not sprawled at my feet, they are in their beds. If I were smart and practical, I would be in bed too.

I had a remarkably wonderful evening. It was a spontaneous outing up to Lake Ontario to watch the sunset... my friends Angela and Patty, and I. We sampled some fried food (onion petals, yum!), then after the the pink sun sunk into the water, leaving a sherbet sky, we had ice cream. Then we drove to the grocery store because Paul texted me to "get Pullups", those expensive things that I swore I would never use, that the diaper companies invented and convinced us that we couldn't live without....I have four kids who use them at night.....so naturally, since we were three ladies in a grocery store, we shopped a bit....cereal, a bag of popcorn kernals, some chicken, pork chops...it was great fun with great friends....but at the register I almost cried...there were some people, rather large people, not that I am anyone to judge, but their daughter, who looked to be two or three years old, was so fat she could hardly walk. And this is the sad part: it was after eleven o'clock at night, and they bought her one of those little bottles of spray sugar candy. They were buying ice cream and chips and dip and soda, just junk in their cart. Then they were parked next to us, she was sitting in the back of the cart spraying the sugar stuff into her mouth...I just wanted to cry. It is a free country, people can eat what they want....but this poor little girl.....she is headed for so much suffering.......I know what you're thinking, no, I didn't forget that I just had ice cream and fries.....

Tomorrow is supposed to be ninety degrees again, and sunny. Lovely summer weather, we will stay home and go in the pool....I really need to do some work around here one of these days, too. I did make them a nice dinner tonight, spaghetti, before I went off with my friends....(did I mention how nice it was to go skipping out the door to pick them up? Just me and my purse?)

Well, I am tired and well, just plain tired.....

2 comments:

Debbie said...

I work in a grocery store and sad to say I see that all too often...esp kids shopping at 11 on a school night...I know not to judege, they could be homeschooled or something is keeping them from attending school in the morning...but I see it all the time...

AUTISMOMMA said...

I don't think you were judgmental at all. It's hard not to have the exact same thoughts you were having when something like that is happening right there in front of you. Yes, this is a free country but I, personally, am of the belief that allowing a child of that age to become obese is downright abuse.