summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Sunday, July 4, 2010

home again

Home....it is nice to be here...we are tired and have had too much sun, too much fun. Jonathan stayed at Emily and Abigail's apartment last night, and is very tired today. We went to watch the symphony orchestra from the big city play at a lovely park on a nice lake...oh, it was heavenly. Well, except for the long line at the bathroom with all the girls. But the music, what could be nicer than being 25 feet away from a live version of "The 1812 Overature"? Oh, it was lovely! Emily was with us, and we had an excellent time. We stopped at Little Caesers and got four pizzas, which they demolished...I only had one piece. Camille had ants in her pants, but she was pretty good. She liked the music alot. I wouldn't let her talk during the performance, the other kids know by now that it is disrespectful and they are amazingly good....Jonathan was worried about the fireworks that came afterward....he got to sit in Emily's car and watch them with the windows up, he hates the noise. Anyway, this performance was patriotic, and the conductor has members from each branch of service stand up while the orchestra plays their particular theme song, and everyone claps, it is very touching. We have much to be thankful for, living in this country.

I had a nice conversation with two old ladies before the program started....they asked me who all the girls "belonged to"....and I said they were mine....they wondered at the one boy, and I told them there are four more boys not with me....AND three more girls....oh my goodness, they could not believe it. Emily was sitting there sewing a purse out of some old jeans, the other girls were just playing around and laughing and eating pizza and enjoying themselves.....they ARE lovely and I am very lucky.

Enough bragging. I let my camera at the camper. rats. I think we are going back out there on Tuesday or Wednesday for a few days. It is nice out there because there is no housework, just a tiny little camper floor to sweep, a few dishes to wash, and the towels to hang up after swimming. I like it because there are no computers or television, the campfire inspires fellowship. I feel closer to the kids and I think bonds have been strengthened between us. Plus, they can ride their bikes to their hearts' content, and there are awesome inground pools.

I did miss Rosie, though. She is such a sweetie. When I got home, she was beside herself with joy. She just wiggled and wiggled and jumped and made that happy noise that she makes....and she followed me around everywhere, even while I put towels in the wash....now she is sleeping at my feet. I would gladly bring her to the camper, but it is at the church conference center, and no dogs are allowed....wah.

The kids are so tanned!!! They are also tired out..they are watching "The Book of Virtues"....they had popcorn, Camille is already in bed, they are ready soon. It IS nice to be home, it is nice to write again even if it is just blah blah blah...

Things I am thankful for:

1. The night sky. Being out in the country and looking up into that vastness is just amazing. We saw some shooting stars, and a few satelites, and of course some planes.....

2. Swim floaties/vests....I put a swim suit with foam panels built in, plus a vest on Camille, and she floats. I still watch her, of course, but she floats.

3. Sunscreen. They are all so tanned and a few of the fairer ones are a bit burnt, even with sunscreen.

4. Freezepops. When it hits ninety degrees, they are so good.

And of course all the usual things. It is good to take time to count our blessings.

The thing I am most thankful for today is that Jesus made a way for us to follow. I am glad for friends and fellowship.

No comments: