summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Friday, July 30, 2010

India? I wanna go!!!

Yesterday had it's ups and downs....Paul texted me and said he is going to India, like it is the most normal thing in the world. For two weeks. I, of course, called him immediately and told him to tell his boss that his wife needs to go too. He wouldn't do that for some reason. But he said he would check ticket prices, maybe we could just buy me one. Oh, I was one happy camper. I was going to India!!! Well, the ticket was reasonable enough, but he talked to his boss and found out the classes he is taking literally are all-day courses, ten or twelve hours a day. He thought it wouldn't be worth me going. I reluctantly agreed. But.....oh my goodness, yes, I would just be lost, sitting in a hotel room in India all day, with my computer....ha. I could read things, I could write a story, and if the hotel had a pool, I could swim without counting heads in the water and shouting, "do not run" every five minutes. I could sleep in and take naps and take baths and if I got really adventurous, I could go for walks, IN INDIA!!! So in the course of one day, I went from hopefully jubilant to vastly disapointed.

Now, the reality of it is that it makes sense for me to stay here with the kids. But I had started to cover my bases, and they would be fine without us at this point. The older ones can step up, and they so wanted me to be able to go that they agreed to really pitch in and help. Even the little ones wanted me to go, especially Jon...he thought if I went, it would make it very likely that he would score some extra time at his big sisters' apartment, which is the highlight of his life, besides starting people's cars for them.

Oh well. This morning I have to take the van to the village to be inspected, New York State law. rrr. Yesterday, in the midst of taking Aaron to work at McDonalds and taking the six youngest to lunch at the Chinese buffet, the taking Joseph and Sam to a birthday gathering, then taking some things out to our camper, and finding out I was going to India, then finding out I wasn't, I somehow forgot to get a replacement bulb for the van headlight. Now, it won't pass inspection without one so we have to pay the auto-shop guys in the village to install it....Paul was like, "You forgot to get that?" hmm, he actually seemed surprised, which I suppose is a good thing.

I have to leave soon, none of the kids are up yet, I was thinking of gently waking Sonja and taking her with me and going to the village diner while we wait. But it all depends on who wakes up between now, and the time I have to leave.....

Once again I feel like a traitor,if I am gone before Camille wakes up. When I come home, she will tell me first thing, "When I woke up, I wanted you!" At least she can put it into words, so she doesn't just cry and hit me when I come in.....

Today, after the van inspection, I have to go and buy some things, like sugar for the snow cones we serve at summer conference, and some fresh fruits and veggies for our week.....then back here to pack everyone up, and we are on vacation!! ha, it is funny to call it that. It is busy, but it is the BEST kind of busy....seeing all of our friends, it really strengthens my spirit and gives me a glimpse of eternity. Nothing is more encouraging than to talk with others who have the same battles, hang in there, fight, and don't lose heart. So it is all worth it, the packing and the work and the remembering things and the working at the grill and the candy store....

I probably won't be writing on here until Wednesday or so, unless I forget something and have to come home for it....I might sneak five minutes....hmm.

2 comments:

Darla said...

Oh, I would still say, "GO!" (to India)...I mean, who needs more than a mom of a large family a little down time? And in INDIA??? For crying out loud, big deal if Paul is in class for most of the day. The 10 minutes a day you would see him would be uninterrupted!!! :)

Grace said...

Too bad you are not going to India. I think you would be perfectly safe going on tours, etc. on your own. If you can afford it, I think you should go anyway.