summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Friday, April 15, 2011

a breather, finally...

Oops, we couldn't find the place for his surgery...because I thought it was at a hospital, and said I knew where we were going. Aaron had googled it, and knew exactly where to go. It was a surgery center associated with the hospital. But since I thought I knew where I was going...blah, we got there on time, but we took the scenic route.

His surgery was more complicated than we had thought it would be. I will spare the details, but he had to have a piece of cartilage taken out of the back and put in the middle. blah. It took a while, and he is bruised up and sore and sick from the anesthesia. He is drowsing in my chair...I feel sorry for him.

I am so bad, I actually told him in the recovery room that it was time to wake up and go home because it is so nice and sunny today....

Since the dr. said his surgery would last an hour, I took the opportunity to go for a twenty minute walk around the parking lot. It was very invigorating, as it was early morning and still chilly.

I had brought an apple and some peanuts and a balance bar, and a huge water bottle, so I stayed satisfied and content.

Home...I sat in the sun for a bit, went for my walk (twice up the evil hill!)...then made dinner - got some chicken marinating for dinner...then went to the store in town with Evelyn for salad fixings. And fresh Italian bread and some more ice cream for the kids who love ice cream. After dinner, I decided to take them to the pool. Sadly, none of the older kids wanted to go with us. So it was Evelyn (11), Suzanne (10), Sonja (8), Jonathan (6), Charlotte Claire and Camille, and I. The only problem was that Miss Camille has to have such close supervision, I hardly got to excercise at all...but they had so much fun! I think they like the showers afterward as much as they like the pool. Home for ice cream and a Veggie-Tales sing-a-long video...and now it is bedtime...

It is a youth conference weekend. Aaron won't be going to this one. Paul is not back from Boston yet, so it shall be a busy one for me.

The Subway restaurant in the small city is having Customer Appreciation Day tomorrow, foot-long subs for buy one get one free. I am going to take these guys, since I will only have six younger ones. (I don't think Aaron will be eating subs yet) And Jared lost tons of weight eating Subway subs. I don't eat cheese on mine anyway, or mayo, so it will be fine to have a half. I am so pathetic, I am REALLY looking forward to it.

Mirielle is very mean. Not really. But she is making chocolate cookies from her Chocoholic cookbook. She was melting Nestle chips on the stove when I came in, and the house smells like heavenly chocolate. Intoxicating. I didn't have ice cream with the kids, I had some blueberries and strawberries, so I might have a cookie.

Oh, I did lose a few pounds...three and a half less than I was two days ago. So at least I know I am not immune to losing weight. Maybe I will just have one bite of cookie.

And, now it is REALLY bedtime...

1 comment:

_ said...

I'm glad to hear the surgery went well. Hope he has a quick recover.

Hang in there with the weight loss. Congrats on the 3+ lbs! but don't get discouraged during those times that you don't lose anything. You are doing so much good for yourself by getting out and walking and getting in motion. I need to take a lesson from you.

Hmm, I wonder if all the subways are doing an appreciation day. My oldest son works at the one in our town, I wonder if he is going to get slammed at work tomorrow.