summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, April 11, 2011

if I had taken pictures today...

Laundry room: pretty clean.

Was it fun? ha. The reason I tackled it today, finally was that I need to feel like I accomplished something. Because I got on the dreaded scale again, and was actually a pound more than I was three days ago! NO FAIR. I can only assume that it is because I am turning into Musle-Mama, and muscle weighs more than fat. Because I have not been cheating. I walked today, then went to the pool tonight...which was an adventure...

We got a flat tire. The air was just hissing out...Jon said, "Call Daddy!", which was a great idea, except that Daddy is in Boston and we are in New York. So I called Joseph. He knows how to change a tire. The tricky part was figuring out how to get the tire out from under the minivan....but like Jonny said, "read this book!", the owner's manuel.

If I had taken pictures today of the cleaning of the laundry room....of all the hampers dragged into the kitchen for sorting... oh, I am glad I didn't take pictures. It was fun and horrible at the same time. My girls were helping me and it was hot (84 degrees today!) and they complained yet they fooled around like crazy....it was one of those things where we were in the middle of it and I wished like crazy that we had never started. Suzanne wanted homefries. She kept saying she was going to make some when we were done. Well, she did. She cut up potatoes and they cooked them up in some oil...and added onions....the smell was intoxicating.

If I had taken pictures of the flat tire adventure, I might have captured how worried Jon was while waiting for Joseph to get there in the old gold car. I would have liked to have captured Joseph's calmness as he figured things out. He is so much like his father.

If I had taken pictures of Sonja K. and Jonathan in the pool with me, their bliss and relaxation and pure joy to just float around and tell Mom things with no interuptions would have shown through.

If I had taken pictures of bedtime....of Suze settled into my bed coloring me a picture of a candle that said, "Mommy shines"....(Suze is sleeping with me tonight. No stretching out and enjoying the whole bed tonight), of Jon crying because his flashlight isn't working and he KNOWS we are getting a storm tonight and losing power....of Margaret brushing teeth with the two little princesses and their princess toothbrushes....

If I had my camera out today, I could have gotten a shot of Mirielle making cookie dough so she can bake fresh cookies and send them to Benjamin tomorrow morning.

But...for some reason, I haven't been taking many pictures lately.

Funny thing: Aaron is having surgery on Friday, on his nose, which was broken last December in gym class. The hospital called here and would not talk to me about any of the details, even the time of the surgery, because Aaron is now 18 years old. I told Ms. Nurse that Aaron is in school. She did not care. So Aaron had to call the hospital today from school with his cell phone. Ms. Nurse did not care that Aaron is not paying for this surgery.

rules rules rules.

Rapunzel, Rapunzel, why the heck is your hair so tangly? Or should I say REEpunzel, like Camille does. They like to brush the hair, get hair elastics stuck in it, and brush it some more. The little girls found their favorite bikinis when we sorted the bathing suits today, so they wore them around all day. They were all dressed when I was going to the pool, but I had to be mean. I love taking them, but they require constant assistance and attention...and I need to get excercise when I go. And the older kids were going to soccer practice, so I didn't have anyone to take to help with them...oh, it is hard being mean.

They didn't care though.

And...I am lonely. I miss Paul. He called me tonight, and being the man of few words that he is, the conversation was not very exciting. After blabbing on for five or six minutes about the flat tire and how Jon was nervous about the weather and how one of my girls gave me such a hard time today, I asked him about his day. I asked what he did. "worked", he said. What did you do for dinner, I asked. "Got a sandwich", he said. I told him to pay more attention tomorrow and come up with a bit more to talk to me about.

Tomorrow makes two weeks for the dieting and excercise. torture and more torture. Three stinking pounds. blah. I am not giving up, but jeepers. I was really hoping I would be one of those women who had the pounds literally melt away, just fall off....a Results Not Typical kind of gal. Twenty pounds the first week, and like four or five a week after that. But no, three stinking pounds. blah.

I am trying to buoy myself up about this, and all I can come up with is: Well, fat people can ride bikes, right?

7 comments:

Tereza said...

The ending put a smile on my face! Of course fat people can ride a bike!:):) You are perfect the way you are! Just be healthy. Healthy enough that you can keep up with your big family. Healthy enough that you dont huff and puff goign up a flight of stairs. Healthy enough that tying shoes is not a chore! Whatever weight that might be matters not!
And btw...I read that slow weightloss is much healthier than sudden weighloss and those who loose slowly are more likely to maintain the lower weight permanently. So I'd say you are doing great!!!

I wish you had taken pictures:) Maybe next time. It does take longer to blog with pictures though:) I ahvent really been taking many lately either.

Unknown said...

Good going on the laundry room:) success!!
Have you thought about weight watchers or something were you get feedback and support? And get to go somewhere by yourself:)? Just a thought...
Yes New Zealand, my hubby is a kiwi so my kids are half New Zelanders. He will go back to school there and I will homeschool and breastfeed, hahahhaha:)

Chrissy in Chaos said...

Hi,

I teach dance - and when I went back after having my last baby I had a bunch of wobble to shift.

The whole muscle weighs more thing is so true - I am smaller in size but heavier!! How does that work!!!

Keep going :)

Endo_Life said...

1st rule of losing weight and those weighing scales pick one day of the week and only weigh on that day and at the same time!

I am sure you are doing great, I wish I had your motivation. I will start very soon maybe even tomorrow :)

AUTISMOMMA said...

Okay, please don't be offended or think I am saying my way is the only way but have you ever tried lowering carbs for weight loss? If you do it the correct way - not the way many people believe of eating only meat, eggs, and cheese - and eat healthy foods like meat, lots of non-starchy veggies, and lower glycemic index fruits like berries, it can be a very effective weight loss program. It is the only way I can take off weight and maintain it.

16 blessings'mom said...

First of all, Tereza: you are assuming quite a lot. Stairs haven't been my friends for some years now. Tying shoes? Not if I can help it. I am functional, but it costs me! My knees hurt on a daily basis, and my lower back hurts when I lean over. I am in rough shape. Not as rough as I was two weeks ago though, I already feel better. Thank you for your encouragement though! And Pam, seriously, never worry about offending me! Especially in this area, I will take all the help and advice I can get! I really do appreciate it!

Deb said...

Hang in there! It sounds like you are doing everything right as far as the weight loss plan. I find if I don't deny myself anything, but just limit how much of it I have, I am able to keep my weight pretty even. My downfall is fats--peanut butter, butter, cream. I found that I don't eat bread and rolls if I don't use better or oil, and just in doing this am able to regulate my weight. I allow myself one piece of chocolate each day, which I try to savor. It makes it worth it. When I'm maintaining, I'll put a handful of chips on the plate and close the bag. This makes me feel good while eliminating the feeling that I am missing something.

You can do this!