summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, November 12, 2020

lockdown!!!

Well, the noose is a-tightening. We're allowed no more than 10 people to gather in a home, here in New York state. The cases are going up up up, it's spreading everywhere. But life goes on, doesn't it? I had to bring Miss Camille to a doctor's appointment this fine morning. She is doing well, is healthy and good, except for her bum knee. She'll have an MRI next week, then maybe some physical therapy, hopefully no surgery. A coffee for me, and a strawberry smoothie with whipped cream for Camille, from our favorite little coffee hut. After her appointment, we went to Kohl's to pick up an order, to Wegmans for seltzer, no sugar added fudge bars, toilet paper, paper towels, and a 37 cent a pound turkey. Then to Walmart where I had to pick up something for Paul, some very important no-smell spray for deer hunting. Then, to Lowe's, where we bought a new faucet for my bathroom sink, on sale, but still, ouch! Faucets are pricey! Home...ah, home. We brought things in, and Cam logged in for a zoom meeting at school...I started doing some touch up painting in my bathroom...
I like how the cabinet turned out...the original handles, spray painted...
Then Sonja came in, home from college for the day, asked me if I would go with her to open a bank account. Of course I would. Then to the home improvement store to get a sink top....I had checked in both Lowe's and Home Depot, they were pricey. I tried to get one from marketplace, the really good ones go fast, the not-so-good ones: sketchy. I almost bought one for $40, used, from a lady not too far from here, but the edge that would be exposed was a "rough edge", and there was no backsplash at all, which would mean more projects. The one I got from the discount store is nothing to write home about, but to ME, it's very very nice.
There was one that was off white, a brown and beige speckled thing, and then a bunch of really lovely ones that were way too expensive. This one, with tax and a silicone calk thing-y to attatch it: $94. The faucet:
This is where I went overboard, it was on sale for $69.99, ouch. I could have gotten a cheaper one, but I really like the black. Now, I cut corners with renovations. I spray painted the lightswitch cover, the outlet cover (black matte), the toilet paper holder and the towel bars. I even took the shower curtain bar down and spray painted it black! I did buy a new shelf from Target, and a mirror from Walmart. The total price of the flooring, sink top, faucet, mirror, shelf, new light fixture, towel bar set: $374. Maybe tomorrow I'll take some pics of the present sink top and faucet, so I can have a proper before and after. The walls are already painted, the door and trim done, and cabinet done....phew. Now the floors, sink and countertop installation, hanging the shelves and mirror, and towel bars, toilet paper holder...it's been fun, and I almost don't want to finish, because ha, I can't afford another one yet! Tomorrow morning, I'm going to Costco with Emily. I am itching to decorate for Christmas...oh, I have another project: I have white solar string lights, and white glossy spray paint! I want to saw off some tree branches, spray paint them, stick them in a bucket of dirt, and wrap those lights around them! Won't that be so pretty? I'm going to spray paint the five gallon pail too, black, and maybe even wrap some burlap around it or something. It'll go on the deck... Ah well...the girls are having snacks...with this crazy school schedule, it seems like summer vacation around here half the time. Tomorrow is virtual school....

2 comments:

Marilyn said...

Hi Della! Your project is really moving along and looks great. Next week I’m going to buy the paint for our bedroom and get started. We are on a sort of a lockdown too, but I’m ok with that if it helps. Ours is for 2 weeks in Alberta. Canada’s numbers really went up after our thanksgiving and yours is just around the corner�� I agree we have to live, but we also have to be careful too. It’s the pits really. If we weren’t coming into winter it would be much more bearable. We go out walking the dogs pretty much every day, so we get some fresh air. We are allowed to do that so far thank goodness. Life goes on!! I hope poor little Camille’s knee is ok and physio can help. She’s so young to be having knee problems poor kid. How is Sonja’s now? Good I hope. Well Della you have a super day........��

Marilyn from Canada ����

Marilyn said...

I’m not sure what happened to my little emojis?? It all went peculiar 🙄 We’ll see what happens here!

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦