summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, November 26, 2020

thankfulness in times of covid...

Is it just a tiny bit ironic that here in central NY state, there is a limit to gathering size in our homes, yet tomorrow, Black Friday shopping! Ah well. For most people, we're just trying to navigate this whole thing, we went truths, not politics, and freedom to assess the risks ourselves. Here's something cute for you:
Grant and Wulf, two two-year olds, sweet and spunky. Yesterday was pie day. Four apple, and four pumpkin...
Six other pies will be joining these, including pecan, chocolate, and lemon meringue, and the new ones Margaret is trying, the chocolate granola pies, like pecan pies.
I don't know why it tickles me so when doggies and kitties are good friends. Maybe they love me, maybe they just like me 'cause I'm warm and squishy, but they certainly are cuddly. So, sadly we've cancelled our trip next week to see Kathryn and Darius and little Achilles, in Oregon. Mariel and I mulled and discussed, deliberated and prayed, and decided at just about the same time that neither of us felt it was the right thing to do right now. Our state mandates testing before returning to NY, and we were only going for a weekend. That would mean one of our precious days there spent in line somewhere trying to get a test, in an unfamiliar place (Salem). Then quarantining for three days and getting another test when we get home. With the long lines, ect., and being the holidays, it just sounded difficult...and poor Kathryn, I feel awful. I miss her so much, and was SO looking forward to going out there. Jonathan, however, is flying out there for a ten day visit. It's worth him getting tested and all if he's going for so long.
This is the little branch Evelyn and I spray painted...isn't it cute?
I woke up bright and early, or rather DARK and early. Paul and Jonathan headed out to the woods before five, to have time to get into their tree stands and get ready for all those big bucks. I hope, for their sakes, that they get something. I don't really love venison, nor do I like the deer hanging in the tree, nor the cutting and wrapping, but I can live with it, and be thankful for meat in the freezer. Paul didn't do these things for years and years while we were so busy with babies and toddlers and small children, but a few years ago, he resumed hunting. He just loves it. Here's what I love: waking up, getting dressed, letting the dogs out, putting on the kettle, letting dogs back in, wiping their paws and giving them a treat, feeding the cats, making the coffee, taking my laptop, and...yeah, getting back into the warm bed. I LOVE it. The house is quiet, and my room is everything I ever dreamed of. Clean, spacious, freshly painted, I just love love love it. I do have a stack of Christmas gifts in here now, and a shelf that needs to be hung up in the almost-done bathroom, and the boxes of flooring for the bathroom...the sink top and new faucet are in the hallway, waiting for installation. Anyway. Thankfulness is an amazing thing, a balm, healing, refreshing. It's easy to be thankful when things are going well, but much more challenging when the trials come. Even the smallest irritations can lead to complaining, and my aim in life is to be open to what God is working...so that I don't just keep quiet and hide my frustrations, but let go of them completely, trust that God causes ALL things to work together for my best! Sin is not to rule over us! It causes strife and hurt! I am very very thankful that we can have peace, true peace. Today, we are going to have a Thankfulness Board, and write down what we're thankful for. It's so encouraging. I am thankful that God has had mercy on me. He's given me so much, and continued to work in me, despite how stubborn I've been. I hope you all have a good day, whether you choose to stay home and keep it simple, or if you gather with a bit more family or friends. Oh, and also, I am thankful for the friends I've made here!

3 comments:

Linda said...

Wishing you and yours a very Happy Thanksgiving. My mom (in Florida) just said she saw on the news that NY is shutting down again, hmm...been expecting it, but haven't heard. She called our governor a few names (odd, for my mother).

Rose S. said...

Happy Thanksgiving! I hope you and your family had a wonderful day! I'm sure you did! We had our "circle" of family here. Under 10 in the house! lol I always go by what our Gov Baker says and he said 10 per household but then went to just us and that was not going to happen! I figure I see the group that was here today quite often, so we consider them our safe circle.

My brother canceled his plan to come home also. He is from NC and it was pointless once the gov put forth the new order. So we miss him, but we are all healthy and that Is what I'm thankful for !

Enjoy your family!

Michelle said...

Love your positive attitude. :) Its always good to try to be thankful for what we have, but, of course, not always easy.