summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, January 20, 2021

did you SEE what's going on out there??!!!!

 Jonathan was out working on his four-wheeler yesterday, when he came in and asked me that.  My heart lurched, and I thought immediately he was talking about in D.C....that something bad was going on.  Well, he was talking about snow.  It was a white-out, very cozy, it got dark in the house, it was snowing so badly.  


Yesterday, breaks of beautiful brightness...


This morning...more snow.  I love living here, can I say that?  I love my yard.  The windows in our house are better than framed pictures.


The Little Tikes car just adds a pop of color, ha.



I did make  turkey pot pie yesterday, two of them.  I forgot to take a pic until I was going back for seconds!


The broth from the turkey, thickened up a bit with flour, some rosemary and sage, a bag and a half of frozen veggies, and lots of turkey.  I use an all-butter crust recipe, then add some more to the top, with a hefty sprinkling of salt and pepper.  The top is so tasty.


Rice Krispie treats with sprinkles!

I made these for our junior activity club.  Emily and I work with the youngest group at church, every other Tuesday.  Last evening, I brought our Calico Critters/Lil Woodeez stuff.  Emily always brings a sheet and a blanket and makes them a cozy tent, so they played with the little stuff there.  We then had coloring time, with a snack and a drink pouch.  They range from two and a half years up to four years old, and when all are there, it's six of them.  Wulf is getting ready to join soon!  (yes, they wear masks, which is SAD, but unless they are having a snack, they do wear them, and we wear them too.)

Jonathan is all signed up to take his road test next week.  I'm not sure how to feel about this.  He was just born, for crying out loud!  He is a decent driver, not as careful as I would like, but then I drive like a grandma, my kids say.  Jon is always doing things like checking to see how icy the roads are, swerving just to see how it handles.  I tell him he needs to give me a heads up, there I am stomping the invisible brake and grabbing the dashboard for nothing.  He pushes buttons and tries things out, and uses cruise control.  The beauty of being young is that lack of fear...we get older and know all the things that can happen, but that unfettered freedom of being young, I do envy it.  

These two:

Yes, I do want to go out!



When they come in from outside, they have to sit on the towel and have their paws wiped off, then they get a treat.  A treat?!  Yes, a treat!  It's they're favorite word.  If you ask, "Did anyone feed the dogs?", they will wag, they're ears will come forward, and their begging faces will be in full cuteness mode, even if they have already eaten, for they are big fat piggy liars, when it concerns eating.  Their faces say, "What?  food?  No one fed us yet!"

Today, Jon wants to go driving after he finishes school.  Sonja K. has done an online class, and is heading to the college for work.  She screens and takes temps as people enter the building.  The sun is out once again, hope the drive is easy for her today.  Lake effect snow comes in bands.  You can be driving down the road, and find yourself in a white-out, then drive out of it back into pure sunshine.  When you can't even see the road, ugh.

All this squawking and blabbing, trying to distract myself from what is going on in the big W today.  I'm thankful that Samuel isn't part of this inauguration.  Four years ago, he was, right there at the White House.  Back then, there was a bit more respect.  I won't be saying, "Not my president!", out of respect, but I'm not exactly elated.  Mr. Trump mentioned a bright future, as he exited, but the new guy has already said how we have dark months ahead of us.  

What I'd really like:  lower taxes...much, much lower, fewer programs, no new ones, fewer  laws, no new ones.   With this new administration, this ain't gonna happen.  It's like they're already rubbing their hands together, plotting more restrictions.  Okay, you may not all agree, and I hope you're right.

In any case, this IS the day that the Lord has made...so we will rejoice, and be glad in it. 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please don’t just tease us with a picture of your delicious looking pot pie and post a copy of your crust recipe 😀

Anonymous said...

I love your attitude - and need to copy it! ;)

Marilyn said...

Hi Della I watched the inauguration yesterday.........all day......... and I have to say I thought it was lovely and VERY uplifting and full of hope for your country. I’m hoping so anyway.

Your windows look so nice.....christmassy and wintery too 🥰 and the doggies are priceless. What would we do without our dogs. I can’t even go to the bathroom that one or both don’t come along..............priceless. I hope Jonny does well on his drivers test. Maybe shouldn’t try his fancy moves during the test!!🤣🤣🤣 It is very nerve wracking driving with them when they are learning and practicing, isn’t it?😬😬 Been there, done that😬😬 We are going into a cold snap tomorrow........about -15C which really isn’t that cold, but we’ve been having above zero for so long this will be hard to take. We’ll all be whinging and whining about it the whole time....well I will be 🤣🤣 Have a great rest of your day.

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

Anonymous said...

It is so wonderful that you love where you live. Too many people are unhappy with their lives or home. The snow looks beautiful and it must add interest to life when you live where there is a change of seasons. I have experienced the snow occasionally when visiting my son, but at 64 years of age have never driven in it. The pot pie looks delicious. I second the suggestion that you post the pie crust recipe.

Laurie in California

16 blessings'mom said...

Pie crust recipe: for a double crusted pie, 2 1/2 cups flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, mix together. Add 1 cup butter, cut into pieces, (2 sticks!)...I put it all in the food processor, and pulse on low, leaving pea sized butter chunks, not making it all totally smooth. Toss with cold water, a bit at a time, until you can make two balls of dough from it. You don't want it overly wet and sticky! Flatten the balls into disks, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate until needed, or at least 15 minutes. Roll out in flour, ect. I top my pot pies with a little more butter, and lots of salt and pepper. I also line a baking sheet with parchment paper to bake pie on, so it won't leak butter all over the oven.
Marilyn, Jon had better not practice his moves on his test, but then, if he failed, well...I'd feel bad for him, but...:)
Cold, Marilyn, that's utterly freezing! BRRRR! We're having some fluffy pretty snow, moderately cold, but this weekend it'll get much colder...BRRR! I agree, the dogs are priceless. I love them dearly.

Martha said...

Gotta love those Little Tykes cars in the snow! Especially if there;s a snowman driving.

Judy Weniger said...

I also love my view. I love the woods behind our house when covered in snow, love seeing the deer wandering.
As a resident of NY I also would like fewer restrictions and lower taxes. Don’t see either happening.
Not happy about what’s happening in Washington either. But I pray for our leaders of our country and I cling to the fact that God is on the throne.
Judy