summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Friday, January 22, 2021

frozen...





 It's not actually too cold out, but it sure is pretty!  The snow isn't cracking underfoot like it does when it's really freezing.   Days like today, when the snow is floating down like a snow globe, coating the branches and brightening up the living room, I love winter.  

There is fajita soup on the hob for dinner.  I browned up five pounds of chicken breast sprinkled with lime juice, with chopped onion, added taco seasoning and chili powder, and two boxes of chicken broth.  It's simmering, then later we'll add black beans and corn, some tomatoes.  We unfortunately don't have any peppers.  It'll be served with Basmati rice, sour cream, and fresh cilantro, and probably tortilla chips.

I'll be wandering into the kitchen to bake some cookies in a bit, cookies that I won't eat.  It's not fair, I tell you.  I just have to think about cookies to gain weight.  I don't even want to talk about my weight loss plan, because it's not working!  One meal a day, usually, sometimes two, if the first one is eggs.  Mostly just meat and veggies, sometimes tortilla chips, and I did eat that turkey pot pie, crust and all.  Most people who fast, and eat only one meal a day, can take a bit of liberty with what they eat, but not me!   No bread, no cookies, but sometimes chocolate after dinner, chocolate covered almonds.  It should be enough to at least maintain the weight I lost, but no, the scale is creeeeeeeping back up.  I think it's the cream in the coffee, so I've backed way off on that, and we'll see what happens.  I might have to do alternate day fasting, but oh dear.  I'll admit:  these days of being home in the winter, with not much going on, not eating all day, dinner is sort of a beacon, something to look forward to.  

Between the weight, and my hair being thin and not growing, Suri getting old (she's been so limp-y, she was hit by a car when she was a puppy, and has an innovative hip socket, fashioned out of muscle...) and things being closed and not being able to travel,  I'll admit to having to work at being happy sometimes.  It's shown me how much stock I put in earthly things though.  This is still the day that the Lord has made, whether my arse needs it's own zip code, or new wrinkles decorate my face.  I don't want to just fake it til I make it, although sometimes that's necessary.  (No used getting all bummed out and dragging the kids down too.)  I'm working on seriously and genuinely being thankful for all things that God sees fit to send my way.  

Also, not making excuses, nor giving up, because what the heck, I may as well just EAT COOKIES.  You know when you're reading a book, and the character makes a stupid decision, and you're like, NO, don't do it!  I know that if I were reading my book, I wouldn't want me to eat the cookies.

Anyway, life isn't a bed of roses, but if it were, we would stop to smell them, wouldn't we?  There are thorns, and there are things I can't always write here that I go through, but life itself is a gift, and we do have today.  

12 comments:

Kara said...

Have you had your thyroid function checked recently? Hair thinning and not growing, especially if it's a new development, can be a sign of thyroid problems. It's really common for women to get thyroid issues- mine when wonky around the time I turned 40, and hair loss was a major sign for me. Now I'm on meds and my hair is growing again.

16 blessings'mom said...

Hmm...I have not! Thank you, I will look into it! Maybe I'll magically lose like fifty pounds, and get my hair back! :)

Anonymous said...

What a great thought to have, what I would wish my book character self wouldn't have done...
You make me laugh 😂
V

Linda Cherry said...

If you didn't catch Amanda Gorman, look her up. Guaranteed to hearten anyone.

Linda Cherry said...

If you didn't catch Amanda Gorman's poetry, look her up -- guaranteed to hearten.

Anonymous said...

Have you looked at earlikeabear.com? It’s a one meal a day and mostly salads with protein. I was trying to do OMAD but this has really helped, especially when you are over 40. They have a great Facebook group.
Kristi

Chrissy said...

I have a friend who is a dietician - she says bodies have a 'set point' which is basically where they naturally end up at. It's apparently why sometimes you diet and diet and still can't creep below the lowest number you can get to. My body in my teens was 9 1/2 stone uk (not sure in kg or pounds) now it hovers around 11 1/2 stone at 40 something. I can force it down but there's no joy and I miss cake!

Chrissy said...

I have a friend who is a dietician - she says bodies have a 'set point' which is basically where they naturally end up at. It's apparently why sometimes you diet and diet and still can't creep below the lowest number you can get to. My body in my teens was 9 1/2 stone uk (not sure in kg or pounds) now it hovers around 11 1/2 stone at 40 something. I can force it down but there's no joy and I miss cake!

Linda said...

AH, same weather here in Hornell...and freezing is the word; 24* real feel is 4*. As for the cookie and such, let me tell you something, be happy with you and stop worrying about that cookie. I came to a realization a long time ago, that 90 lb girl is never coming back (and yes, I do not like looking at myself, lo self esteem and all, because you know, all my life I was called fat and ugly, even at 90 lbs. AND still at nearly 54, my family still says it). ANYWAYS---enough talk---Have a beautiful day, friend. smiles

Marilyn said...

Hi Della. Yes, you should have your thyroid checked. Mine was diagnosed when I was in my early 50’s and has been monitored every 6 months since then. It needs to be monitored often at first to get the meds right. Also if your weight is in stones there is 14lbs in 1 stone. so Chrissy is 161lbs. Your outside pictures look cold 😬 and Sunny looks like she doesn’t even care 🥰🥰 We are at -16c this morning and it’s getting colder!!! How nice......... have a great day!!

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

16 blessings'mom said...

Kristi, my daughter in law's dad and step mom have had great success with eat like a bear. I'm looking into it.
Chrissy, Marilyn translated your weight, and well, I'd be pretty happy with that! But I know what you're saying, it's frustrating.
Linda, your family is MEAN to say those things to you. I've not even met you in person, and I think you are a fantastic lady, I count you as a friend. Don't listen to them. (One of my brothers always called me fat, he called me Walking Talking Tree Stump. He was so mean to me. I look at pictures of me in high school, and I realize that I was NOT fat!)
Marilyn, yes, I need to get in and get a well check up done, soon, first I have to procrastinate about it for a while. And brr, that is pretty darn cold!

PamL said...

So sorry you are struggling with your weight! One other thing I have heard- a doctor on a podcast met a patient who just could.not.lose.weight. No matter what she did. Well he did some investigating, and it turns out she had some parasite or bacterial issue in her gut, and when he helped her fix that, she lost 50 pounds in 6 months. So, it's worth getting some help to figure out if there might be some underlying problem- thyroid or gut issues....also, I have heard of the set point (Dr. Jason Fung talks about it some), but it seems to me that he said you can work to re-set your set point...it just takes time and a little patience maybe? I have found the same thing- I will hover and hover around the same 2-3 pounds, but once I lose 5 pounds and keep it off for 2-3 months, it's easier to maintain that lower weight. It's so tricky!