summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, January 21, 2021

excuse me, it seems I have lost a day...!

 "Well Jonny, " I said today.  "I think we should have taco soup tomorrow night, and pulled pork on Friday."  Jon replied, "you do know that today IS Thursday, right?"  oops, no, I thought it was Wednesday. I somehow lost a day.  

Tonight was supposed to be soup night, it's actually tortilla soup, not taco soup.  Sonja is making it, we have all the ingredients, but with the busy schedule she had with online classes today, she forgot to get it started.  So, we had taco salad.  I do love fresh cilantro and lime tortilla chips, mmm.

The days are busy for the kids, I'm just here throwing in a load of laundry, sweeping and mopping the floors, and keeping spirits bright.  Sometimes I go outside and shovel the deck, or play with the dogs, or read a few chapters of a book.  

Today, Suzanne and her fiancé came over for a visit.  They have moved back from California, and it is SO nice to spend time with them.  

This afternoon, Jon and I headed to the auto repair shop in town to drop off one of the van tires for a repair.  We waited there in the little waiting room, watching, "Let's Make A Deal" on the little television.  Oh.My.Goodness.  I feel for all the patients in nursing homes and hospitals and for lonely people across the planet who have NOTHING BETTER TO DO.  It was the peak of stupidity, such nonsense.  

We aren't Leave-The-T.V.-On type people.  We turn it on when we want to watch something, sports usually have volume down, but always when commercials come on.   We just don't like the stupid thing blaring into our home!  So right now, it's off.  The kids are all at a church youth meeting, Paul is reading his bible and scrolling on his computer, and I'm in my chair with my own laptop.  We're talking a bit, the dogs are snoring, life is good.  But the television, with the news (so dreary!), and prescription drug ads (the side-effects!), no thank you!

I'd rather hear the clock tick.

But shh, true confession here:   I got rid of the ticking clock, our actual kitchen clock that...ticked.  When it's too quiet in here, the last thing I want to hear is an actual clock...ticking.  So I bought a new one, a nicer one, and the old one is sitting in the laundry room.   

You've probably realized by now that I don't have too much to say.  Jonathan is taking his driving test on Monday, so we'll probably go out again tomorrow and practice.  We drove around today after getting the tire fixed, and went into Aldi for a few things, like coffee (their whole bean Organic medium roast, mmm), tortilla chips, fresh salsa, chocolate covered almonds, little mini clementine oranges, apples, heavy cream, brown sugar, and a chocolate bar.  You get so much for your money from Aldi, and no, I'm not getting paid to say so.

Anyway, Jon learned to parallel park, and do a three point turn, just like that.  He still needs a little polishing up, but shh, the last five kids I taught to drive were girls, and shh, they don't catch on to things like that so fast.  They would be more likely to sit there next to the car near the curb, asking me, "Now WHAT way do I turn the wheel?", and I'd be like, "I can't explain it!  Just park behind this car!"   But with Jon, well, he just does it.  

So tomorrow, Sonja goes into work at the college, the little girls go to in-person school, and Jon and I will go driving after he does his school work...

5 comments:

Billie Jo said...

I love hearing about your days, my friend.
Keep on sharing!
Your home sounds like our home.
TV off. Especially the news! Ugh.
Have a nice weekend.
And lime chips?? Yummmmmmmmm

Marilyn said...

Good morning 🥳 I can’t stand the tv on all day either. I just HATE all that noise! We watch GMA in the mornings, but it’s down lowish and that’s it. It would be awful to have to watch all day...😬😬BORING!!! I personally LOVE the silence.........When I took my driving test, back in the cave days, we had to actually parallel park between two cars. Now they just have to park behind another vehicle. I took my granddaughter to practice parking and I was so surprised! They can’t have the wheels on the curb though she told me 🙄 Now I just have to brag here, but I am a great parallel parker.........better than my husband that’s for sure!! And he’ll admit it 🤣 Della you’re not the only one who loses days.......often I’m not sure what day it is till I look on my iPad. Oh dear.........this is what this pandemic has done to me. Every day the same. How lovely you had a visit with Suzanne and how lovely they have moved back too!! Well I’d better get myself into gear here and finish my coffee and clean up the kitchen. I browned up the meat for a crockpot stew, chopped the veggies and now it looks like a dogs breakfast in the kitchen 😬😬 But it’s on cooking........one less thing to think about today........

Have a lovely day 🥰

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

Kara said...

Ticking clocks make me BATTY. I have pulled more than one clock off the walls in the middle of the night, because of the ticking bothering me while I sleep.

Judy Weniger said...

You and I live very similar lives. The girls started back to school on Monday. Online college for now, one has to go into school on Wednesday’s to work, otherwise they are home. They have so much work to do,I am throwing wash in, running vacuum, making meals, working on a Bible study, or as I like to say “keeping us all afloat.”
We also seldom watch TV. Maybe once a week goes on during the day for a movie otherwise a little at night. Sunday’s it’s football off and on. We DVR so we don’t have to watch commercials. We all get quite a laugh at the side effects. Probably better off with the disease. Love when the say” if you are allergic to this drug, don’t take it... seriously.
Thanks for sharing
Judy

Judy Weniger said...

Our homes sound so much alike. Katie and Camie strayed back to college, online, Monday. They are already super busy. I am keeping us all afloat, throwing in laundry, cooking, making grocery list, doing my Bible study. All fun...the girls wonder into the kitchen to eat throughout the day.
We also seldom have TV on and when we do it’s on DVR. Can’t stand the commercials for drugs. You are so right about the side effects. All the girls just laugh when they hear them. Then they tell you don’t take if you are allergic tot he drug, how do you know unless you take and if you are, then why would you take them.
Thanks for sharing
Judy