summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Sunday, January 10, 2021

oh dear, my goodness YUM!

Have you ever in your life had a chaffle? Well, if you want to cut carbs and still have yumminess, I recommend you look up the recipe and try them. Here's the thing: Paul made venison (deer meat) chili. I am a spoiled brat, and shy away from anything shot in the woods, preferring supermarket meat, go figure. But, we are in quarantine, and money is a bit tight right now, and well, we have a deer in the freezer, so...I tried to be open minded. Guess what? It's the bomb. Really really yummy, but so spicy! So, I tried to decide what to eat with it. Rice is too carb-y for me, so I decided to make chaffles! (1 egg and a half cup of shredded mozzarella, that's it. That's all. It'll make one big or two tiny chaffles.). I messed with the recipe, I always do, I can't leave well enough alone. So I added a teaspoon or so of almond flour. I made one chaffle, and it was very good with the chili...I had doubled the recipe, so to the rest of the batter I dumped some Hershy's baking cocoa, the unsweetened stuff. Then a big spoonful of stevia, and some other sugar-free sweetener, and voila: chocolate waffles! I do have some sugar free whipped cream from Walmart, and yummers. It tastes like dessert. Now, if you are a carboholic, or a sweet eater, it might taste like chocolate garbage to you, but to me, it's very nice.
I dragged out the sewing machine today, because the fabric I had the foresight to order from Walmart.com arrived. I covered one of the ugly stools in the living room, but I don't feel like taking a pic, and of course I forgot to take a "before" pic. I'm fired, aren't I? Being quarantined is really really fun. I washed some bedding, changed sheets, washed the couch covers, moved the furniture around in the living room and cleaned under it, cleaned out the microwave, shined the toaster, and and and. Yes, all the things I never find time to do. We aren't actually all quarantined. Jonathan is free to move about the country, as is Paul. And we had Margaret and Adrian over last evening, with their two little guys. We've always included them in our bubble, as Evelyn lives in the apartment upstairs from them, and is with them and us, frequently. They brought their air fryer, and we used ours, and made: fresh cauliflower bites, tossed in Buffalo sauce, butter/garlic/parmesean chicken wings, Buffalo chicken wings, barbecue chicken wings, and some frozen barbecued chicken bites, because we had just a few left in the bag in the freezer. Wings cook up crispy, tender, yummy, with minimal clean up. Sonja has to get tested tomorrow, and the little girls are getting tested on Wednesday. If they are negative, they're free...if they aren't, hmmm. Anyway. I don't get bored, at least I haven't yet.

4 comments:

Marilyn said...

Good morning 😉 Chaffles sound good to me........I make something you might like. I mash a banana really well......add 2 eggs and mix well, then some chia seeds or not, and blueberries. I heat up the frypan and a bit of coconut oil and make pancakes. You don’t need anything else as these are lovely and sweet.......sweet enough for me anyway. I have these for breakfast sometimes........see what you think. Venison chili sounds good.....I think.......I’m not sure if I’ve ever eaten venison. I’ve eaten moose and that was good and I’ve eaten wild goose 🤢🤮My late husband and his brother went over to Saskatchewan every October goose hunting 😬😬🤣🤣 Anyway, you have a lovely day 🥰

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

16 blessings'mom said...

Marilyn, I am allergic to bananas, but one of my girl's friends makes these. I've had wild goose, along time ago...it was a little bit game-y for me...I'd much rather buy a turkey or a chicken!

Marilyn said...

I would too!!!

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

Cassandra said...

I don't like venison normally but I have learned to deal with it if I mix it half and half with ground beef. It cuts the gamey flavor a bit!