summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, January 27, 2021

la la la library, and other news...

 Last night, we had a very cozy dinner.  It had snowed all day, and the house was...well, cozy.  Spaghetti (and spaghetti squash for me!), meatballs, and some hot Italian sausage.


Today has been beautiful.  The snow is sticking on the tree branches, the yard looks like Narnia.  
Sweet Suri, she's like a bear cub.  As Mariel says, she has "the cutest face on the planet."
Just a bit of parking lot snow!


We went to the library today, then to Walmart so Jon could get oil for his four wheeler.  The girls also had plans, to make Japanese dumpling things with noodles in them.




They pronounced them DELICIOUS!

We also went into Price Chopper while we were out, just to get some beef, London Broil for $1.99 a pound.  It's a tough meat, but oh so cheap!  I decided to get out the food sealer and the sous vide.  It took a while to get it all figured out, but there are four chunks of meat, all sealed, in the big pot with the sous vide hooked to the side.  It's set for 132F, for 24 hours.  It keeps it at temp for the whole time, and oh my goodness it tenderizes!  Tomorrow for dinner, I'll sear it in the frying pan, and yum.  

Tonight we're having leftovers, I made lots of meatballs on purpose.  Back in the day, they would've been all gone after one meal.  The girls aren't going to be very hungry after their yummy afternoon snack.

My coffee is yummy, Jon is driving his four wheeler around the yard, Sonja is at college, and the little girls are watching an anime and talking and laughing.  Life is good.

I work very hard on not letting all the politics and news get to me.  I admit, the way Pres. B. ended the pipeline project RRRR, but what can I do?  Whenever I post anything, even something little, on Facebook, I have an aunt who hates Trump with such a vicious hatred, it's upsetting.  She calls him names, and says awful things.  I haven't blocked her, because sometimes bad behavior is just as telling as good behavior, but it's kind of hurtful.  I don't love Trump either, but he did a lot of good things.  I notice that when people have such hatred in their hearts, they resort to name calling and swearing.  I don't live like that, so it's disturbing.

It's like this:  I believe what I believe, but you don't want me to, so you call me names.  You want everyone in the world to believe exactly as you do.  Yet, I support your right to believe what you want to believe.  You can believe for example that if a person decides that he is a she, that's okay.  I'm fine if you believe that.  But you cannot bear it in the least if I think it's weird.  It's like The Emperor's New Clothes, everyone is too afraid to say that the guy is actually naked.  Boys turning into girls and playing girls' sports is not fair.    wow, that's enough to get me totally cancelled!  

Disclaimer:  If a person decides they want to be a different gender, they have freedom to do that.  If I knew them personally, I'd still love them.  They deserve to be respected and treated the same as anyone else.   If I don't jump up and down about it all, I still deserve to be treated with respect, right?

Anyway.  Touchy subjects.  In one of the online groups I'm in, if a lady is pregnant, and struggling to come to terms with it because she doesn't want the baby for some reason, you are NOT allowed to offer to take the baby, or suggest anyone else looking to adopt.  But you CAN suggest and encourage an abortion.  It's like the world is upside down and I'm an old old lady, old fashioned and out of date.  

Enough controversy for today.  It's a beautiful day, which the Lord has made, and we will rejoice and be glad in it.   Thankfulness is such a powerful force, it's hard to be miserable when you start being thankful.


13 comments:

Billie Jo said...

Yes, my lovely friend. The way you put it is perfect. It IS like the world is upsidedown. I cannot watch the news or read it anymore. Ugh! Your meal sounds delicious!!!! Enjoy the cozy snow, dear friend. Hugs!

Jeanette said...

I agree with you! I was no fan of Trump either but I believe he did a lot of good things which the current administration is systematically undoing day by day! It's also been my experience that people can be so nasty if they don't agree with your views! Things sure are different these days! Anyway, the spaghetti looks good and your family is adorable, including the snow covered pup!

me said...

Now I have the la la la library song stuck in my head! I've watched too many Sesame Streets over the years. Enjoy your day!

Marilyn said...

Hi Della 👋 I had never heard of Sous vide until just recently and find it fascinating! I saw it on a cooking show and had to Google it to read up on it. You are the only person I know who has used one.


I think you have the right to have your own opinion. The people who oppose have their opinion too, but sometimes people can get very rude and hateful and that is so awful 😞

We are going to watch Mrs Doubtfire and have a good laugh 😂 I think we all need to laugh more.........

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

16 blessings'mom said...

Billie Jo, thank you!
Jeanette, I just don't understand the hate though! I was less of a fan of Obama, and oh dear Clinton! - but I never called their supporters names, or personally insulted them (I mean, Orange Man?).
Ha, that's where that song is from!!! Sorry, but if it helps, it stuck in my head too!
Marilyn, Mrs. Doubtfire, yes! I haven't watched that one in years, he was so hilarious! Also, the sous vide is fun! It makes pork chops so tender and delicious!

Grits said...

Della - I have been reading every posting of you column since before Camille was born -- and I have so admired your humor, energy, self-deprecation, patience and love for your family. Like you, I am confused and appalled by the hatred I see. But the hatred that scares and hurts me is coming, I think, from the other direction than the hatred you are talking about. It is the hatred of the QAnon congresswoman who wants "a bullet to the brain" for Nancy Pelosi, the hatred that's virtually forced Mike Pence and his wife to go into hiding because of death threats, the hatred that caused a woman to stalk, badger and harass David Hogg (he was a survivor of the 2016 Parkland massacre not far from me down here in Florida) -- for what reason I don't know. This hatred went way beyond name calling on Jan 6 when people used American flag poles of all things to bludgeon and attack police officers. They killed one policeman with a fire extinguisher. According to a report yesterday from the Capitol Police union, 65 officers were injured -- everything from crushed spinal discs and concussions to gouged eyes and deep bruises (also two police officer suicides resulted from the siege). I still cannot believe, let alone understand, what I saw live (mostly on Fox TV). These people defecated in the halls of Congress and smeared poop on the walls. I am alarmed by the hatred of the Proud Boys, Bugaloo, and Patriot Prayer. Also by the Auschwitz sweat shirt and 6MWE. I am Jewish, and I know to the core of my being that race hatred is an awful thing. Terrorism is awful. I don't for the life of me understand how President Trump watched much of what I saw on live TV and finally, finally made a statement saying these people should "go home in peace" and "we love you." I try never to hate and I usually call Trump 45 because that's not disrespectful, and it let's me off the hook as to use of the honorific "President." But I surely can't love him. I don't love the people sent up to the Capitol. I know we're all sick of this subject and I hope you won't take offense at my opposite point of view. Sincerely,

Michelle said...

Marilyn is right, we do need to laugh more! I’m so tired of the “cancel culture”, the social media governing every word someone types (well, only if that someone has views that aren’t liberal), and the hypocritical double standards. I don’t know what happened to our society, but it’s difficult to live in a world where everything feels upside down-inside out-backwards. Sadly, many people (on all sides) have lost the ability to be civil and respectful.

16 blessings'mom said...

Oh Grits, I don't think the hatred is coming from only one side! I also don't think those Capital rioters were all conservative Republicans. The riots that are continuing out west, dang, I don't like it. Everything you said is true, it's never all right to threaten. I just get sick at the unbalance in the media, it's so one-sided. I certainly don't take offense at what you're saying.
Michelle, amen. It's the hypocritical double standards that get me.

Suz said...

Spaghetti and meatballs (and spaghetti squash) are some of my favorite comfort foods. THAT is a lot of SNOW! Suri does have the cutest face and I agree....we are living in an upside- down world!

Grits said...

Della: After posting my comments, it occurred to me that the real difference between our ideas may just be who we know (in our different minds) to have won the election. I live in Florida, I voted for Biden, sent some money to his campaign and worked very hard on "get out the vote" efforts for Democratic candidates (plenty of time for that when you are a isolated old widow during a pandemic). But Biden didn't win in this state and neither did most of the other candidates I supported. (My congresswoman did beat a very hateful, well-financed QAnon campaigner. Yay!!) But I don't know of anybody among the Democrats who became hateful over losing (and I had come to know quite a few). I didn't hear anyone who said the election was rigged or that the pile-up of undelivered mail-in ballots down in Miami (reported by Miami Herald and some national media) should be reason for claims of fraud. I was really happy when finally they finished counting ballots on the Sat after the election -- and happy dancing broke out on the streets of big cities all over the country. I believed and after 60+ lawsuits, a few recounts and number of media reports of scandals, I still believe that Joe Biden won. But I think that 45 and many Republicans feel sure he did NOT win. If the situation were reversed, if Trump had been declared the winner and I knew in my heart of hearts that it wasn't true, I'd be very angry and I'd probably protest and write all kinds of letters and try to get lawsuits and media investigations and whatever else started. But I know I would never, ever get mean and hateful, certainly not to the point of death threats, attacking police officers or using an American flag disrespectfully. (I actually participated in a Black Lives Matter protest last June. It was organized by a coalition of temples and churches and one mosque -- and I promise you there wasn't an ounce of hatefulness anywhere that I could see. But that's beside the point.) I am just curious if you think the election was rigged and that Congress really should have overturned the results sent in by the states on Jan 6? Thank you Della for being willing to discuss this. I have found that very few of my neighbors or acquaintances who are Republicans want to talk at all about the election or any thing to do with politics. I live in an over-65 continuing care community and it's gradually become a very strong rule that one must never talk about politics or religion or any "controversial" subject. Not polite. So I really appreciate this exchange during such a terrible time for our country.

16 blessings'mom said...

I don't know, Grits! I think it was suspicious that a suitcase full of votes, every single one for Biden, was "found" at the last minute. I think it's strange that it was neck and neck, then boom, in the night, Biden won. I also think it's interesting how all of the people you worked with were civil and friendly,(and I do believe that!) and that is perhaps my ultimate point...maybe in person, most people aren't as angry as they seem online? Hiding behind a keyboard and "canceling" others for their opinions...in my little world, it's only Democrats who have been name calling. I have a niece who has been just vicious to me, and it's heartbreaking. My aunt too, she's been just rude rude rude. I don't actually consider myself either party. I do hate that Hunter Biden is so involved with China and it's been swept under the rug, I hate that Joe immediately stopped the pipeline project (hundreds of Canadians lost jobs too, and to be less dependent on foreign oil seems like a good idea, but no, not to him!) I did see some happy dances, but I have also seen way way too much uncivil rioting. I saw videos of BLM marchers blocking access to private businesses, smashing windows, throwing flaming Molotov cocktails (into police cars!). I don't know the answer, and I know it's not all one group that's "bad". Abortion is despicable, and Biden is right back at funding it for other countries. These presidents, Trump included, act like dictators with their executive orders. Our own governor, such a hypocrite! He says one thing and does another, is condescending and rude, lies lies lies...he covered up the nursing home deaths, while writing a book about how well he was doing. So I don't have an answer. I think men and power don't mix well, and the consciences have been so hardened that no one cares about lying, only about getting caught. Morals have disappeared, and values aren't valued. But I honestly am open for discussion, and I wish I could visit you for an in person cup of coffee!

Cassandra said...

I have had family members cut me and my children out of their lives simply because I support Trump. I have never and would NEVER do that to anyone.
Of course there were election irregularities. No one is denying that. There are still court cases pending. I know MSM tells everyone "Trump has lost all his court cases" which simply just isn't true. NONE of the cases have been heard. You can't lose a case that hasn't happened. I think A LOT of people are truly misinformed because they just listen to what other people tell them on TV or social media without actually looking into things, and no checking snopes or politifact isn't looking into things. I almost feel like I live in a parallel universe when I start getting people to open up about why they voted Biden. Its all untrue nonsense!
Never feel bad for speaking your opinions or sharing what you know as fact. YOU ARE ALLOWED. Cancel culture is simply people who can't handle maybe being wrong and want to shut down freedom of speech. ALWAYS stand up for your rights. If people don't want to read your blog anymore, oh well that's on them, not you.

16 blessings'mom said...

Cassandra, I am saddened but not surprised, but oh the hypocrisy of it all! A parallel universe is exactly how I would describe it all too! I think people are wondering themselves why the heck they voted for Biden. One swipe with the pen, and voila! Thousands of jobs lost. Anyway, thank you! I'm glad you commented! Sometimes on social media I feel rather alone, it's like conservatives are more peaceful, and don't always speak out, for fear of being argued with and censured.