summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Saturday, January 30, 2021

warm, comforting things...

 



Warm from the oven, homemade cinnamon buns.  They're not picture perfect, but the kids said they were really good.  The icing is just a thick vanilla glaze.  

I didn't set out to make cinnamon rolls yesterday.  I made a batch of oatmeal cookies, the first pan with no choc chips, Princess Camille doesn't like them, then added mini chocolate chips.  It warmed up the house, they smelled amazing, but I didn't have any.  I cannot, because I am not a one cookie person, and I am my own worst enemy.  (just for the record, I've been paying more attention to what I eat, cut the cream in my coffee to a minimum, and the scale is inching downward again...).

Anyway, dinner time was looming, butter chicken.  I cut up about five pounds of chicken breast, sautéed in olive oil with lots of cumin, and a sprinkle of pepper.  I added two jars of butter chicken sauce from Aldi, yes, I'm a cheater.  It simmered all afternoon, making the house smell yummy.   

Homemade naan bread goes well with this, so I started the dough for it, and wondered if my yeast was still good, it didn't foam up like I thought it should.  So I opened a new package, and this foamed better.  I made the dough, put it in a warm oven to rise (with a glass pan of water on the bottom).  When I checked the original cup of water and yeast, it had indeed foamed up, quite nicely, and I didn't want to waste it.  So I found a recipe for cinnamon bread that used roughly the same amount of water per yeast, then turned it into cinnamon rolls. 

The butter chicken was amazing, with fresh cilantro on top.  The kids eat theirs with Basmati rice, I had some spaghetti squash with mine.  For the naan bread, I squish the dough down after the first rising, and make like twenty little balls, cover and rise again.  Then I flatten each one, and put them a few at a time in the panini maker, brushed with olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper.  They get crispy on the outside, and stay fluffy in the middle.  I tasted a few, and mmm.

Life is interesting.   We don't always get along magically, amazingly, wonderfully.  Sometimes we say things too harshly, or hurt someone's feelings.  Yesterday, I felt kind of lonely.  One of the kids told me she was sick of hearing about politics, okay, fair enough.   ouch.  you don't have to say it so sharply, but okay. Then another comment from someone, and one little thing from Paul, and wait a minute, every one hates me.  THEN, I check comments on the blog, and a lady derides me for joking about coronavirus.  She said she will have to read elsewhere, because basically, I am an awful person.  

Oh wah, stop feeling sorry for yourself, right?  If I were reading about myself in a book, that's what I would say to me.  I was conscious that I was heading in that direction, so I decided to be thankful for things instead, you know how you sometimes have to tell yourself that you're being ridiculous.  Objectively, who cares what people think of me, anyway!?  But the reality is sometimes it hurts, and I just had one of those afternoons where I wanted to go cry.  

Side note:  I do not think the corona virus is funny.  I am also not a politically correct comedian.  Laughing and joking about the discrepancies in policies and mandates doesn't mean I think it's hilarious that your grandma died.  I think I've mentioned it time and time again here, how heartbreaking it is.  Nursing homes riddled with it, understaffed, no visitors, it's like a nightmare.  My own older kids have firsthand been a part of the tragedy, Emily working in one of the Covid overrun hospitals in the beginning of the surge here, Molly working on a Covid floor for months, Aaron at Stanford, witnessing firsthand the sadness and the suffering, Mariel working with chemo patients who get their treatments alone, afraid.  I know it's real, and I know it's not a joke, in and of itself.  

When you lose someone you love, you are raw and sensitive, and I recognize this in what A. said to me, but when I sit here and write, I can't weigh and measure everything I say, and wonder if I'm going to offend someone.  I never intend to.  In fact, you wouldn't believe how much I do not say!

For instance, I had a few comments from someone who actually stated a falsehood...she mentioned that a certain house speaker was threatened by a congresswoman, and that was not true.  Not true at all.  I wrote a response, but deleted it, because I don't like arguing, strife.  I like to make my way through life seeking what's actually true.  

I found an article from Oklahoma State Health Department about masking.  This is NOT political, just common sense.  The virus numbers from where there was masking mandated and not, are interesting. Would you believe they were lower without masks?   

Anyway.  I like to write, I like to make observations in life, and of course I see everything from my point of view.  You all are entitled to your own viewpoints of course, and I welcome peaceful opposition, if that makes sense.  We are all different, and that's a beautiful thing.  Even in a family, we are different, and we need to learn to give each other space, forgive and forget, and get over ourselves.  Love covers a multitude of sin...

16 comments:

Susan said...

Oh Della, I am so sorry that you have been hurt. Those of us who are long time readers know you would never intentionally harm anyone. I guess when you put yourself out there on a public blog some of this is bound to happen.
Yes, the Covid is no joke, I thought after almost a year I was immune and now find myself having it although fortunately not requiring hospitalization.
The last year has been difficult in so many ways and I think our fuses are shorter than usual.
Those cinnamon rolls look so wonderful!
♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️Susan

Grits said...

It was not a falsehood Della.

Grits said...

It was not a falsehood Della.

Carolyn said...

Hi Della,

I like to read what you write, keep on! On another note, I am using Vanilla Premier Protein
(Liquid from Costco or Walmart) in my coffee, that way I only use I Tbsp. of half and half per cup.

Hugs,
Carolyn

Mandy said...

I always enjoy reading your thoughts. But, I also get my feelings hurt sometimes. I think everyone is prickly right now. Just keep doing you!

sharie said...

I love your blog, Della! Thank you for writing, and your words brighten my day! I learn so much from you and consider you a friend although we have not met. What beautiful ray of sunshine you are to the world and your family!!

Anonymous said...

Hugs, Della, sorry everything hit like it did. I have those days, too. My sister and I concluded that every single person thinks slightly differently about the virus, so it is really hard to discuss without offending...
I just purchased two face shields from Ollie's, never going back to masks. Many places around me don't enforce mask rules now, anyway. But I'll have it in an emergency;)
Love
V

Mert said...

Hey- I don’t always agree with you, but I love hearing about your Giant family. 4 was way too many for my parents, but I like the idea that 16 can work for some people.

Dawn Marie said...

I love what you have to say. This is your blog and an expression of YOU. I've recieved hurtful comments too and I'm someone who isn't afraid to speak my mind. The things that go on right now are so horrible but even through these difficulties sometimes it helps to find a little humor in it, too.

16 blessings'mom said...

Susan, you are in my prayers, hope you get well soon!
Grits, I think maybe we are on a different page on this, the congresswomen I read about liked a Facebook meme in 2019 that mentioned a bad outcome, supposedly in a joking manner, about the house speaker. That is quite different than actually threatening her. I think if you listen to a variety of news outlets, and weed through them, you'll get closer to the truth than if you just follow CNN all the time. But in any case, no hard feelings. It's hard to get to the root of the truth of anything out there these days, news is very one sided.
Carolyn, I'll have to try that!
Mandy, thank you!
Sharie, that absolutely warms my heart!
V, I wish masks weren't enforced here...
Mert, :)
Dawn Marie, I always find the humor in a situation, you can't even take me to a funeral. When laughter is the most inappropriate, that's when I'll find something hilarious. It's really quite awful. On another note though, this virus has permeated every facet of our lives, how can we not joke about some of it?

16 blessings'mom said...

Grits, I did read what you might have been referring to, two women arrested who were vocal about their intent to cause serious harm to N. P....not good, in any way.

Linda said...

My mantra today is, "LET.IT.GO!" honestly, folks just find a way to get into your ("your" in general terms) "craw". Hey, I'll be right up to have some rolls, lololol. Have a great day friend, I see we have another impending storm heading in. smiles

Tales from a Texan said...

As always, I enjoy your pondering and hearing you thoughts. It’s pleasurable to keep up with your family!

Jeanette said...

People get offended so easily these days! I totally agree with everything you have written. I never felt you laughed at the virus at all! I personally avoid politics on my blog and on FB too because I can get fired up so easily!

nkeeling said...

I'm so sorry that someone was rude! I look forward to your posts and have never, ever found anything offensive. You always make me smile and very frequently, you make me laugh out loud. As long as this virus/craziness has dragged on, we all have to laugh about it, or we'd be in the looney bin by now!

Judy Weniger said...

I love your blog. I agree with you almost always. I am sorry you had a rough day, I have been where you are. It’s been a tough year. I have a grown daughter who is a nurse and a son who does X-rays. They are exposed to virus everyday. I have three at home, two attending college , which is basically closed so they are virtual, except one who goes in on Wednesday to work. The third one just graduated with her masters and is teaching for a NYC college but it’s virtual and she is working from home. I try to keep us afloat, laundry, cooking, reminding them how faithful our God is and things will get better in His time. It’s does get lonely even with everyone home. I don’t always make them happy.
There are lots of concerns for my grandchildren, kids, husband who also works at a hospital.
Enjoy reading about your family.