summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Sunday, August 24, 2008

another morning here

Camille is just waking up in her little pink bed, and the three older girls are stirring, but making no move to actually get up...I have been down for a shower, and am all ready to go....but I thought I'd be lenient on them this morning....

I love this huge house so much, I had a dream last night that Paul and I moved into an apartment with all 16 of the kids, so we could renovate our house easier....and I suggested we just build a new one instead...but in the dream, we decided that would be too hard, because we still would have to do all the fixing up of the present one, in addition to building a new one....

It was hard enough 16 years ago when we built our house, we only had 5 kids when we started....I was young and energetic, and held down the fort all week without Paul, we were together only on Sundays, and whenever I went over to the building site, where I was absolutely no help with 5 kids, 6 and under.....

Our house seemed monstrous when we moved in, with a playroom, and a huge workout room....first floor laundry.....but now, every spare room is a bedroom, and we are getting crowded.....I am not complaining....I just find that discontent working its way in when I see huge spacious houses like the McHouse, and when we are in Aaron's hospital room with 98 channels of junk, several which are like home makeover, and home renovation.....so I decided when I get home I'll do this and that.....but know what I'll be doing when we get home? Getting ready for the big event that occurs every September, which I stay in denial about for as long as possible....I mean, why ruin your summer thinking about the end of it.....? But then, I suffer as a last minute shoe and sneaker shopper, and the night before school starts, filling those 9 (this year) back-packs.....the college kids can do their own stuff, though inevitably Ben will be asking for some notebooks and pens......But, we have alot of clothes, and I have put away some shirts for the girls.....and they can start school in sandals....they are always neat and clean, that's important.....

So, I won't worry about that stuff yet....there is nothing I can do about it now, anyway.....for today, I am hoping Aaron's x-ray shows the extra air behind the lungs has been absorbed, and they think he can go home....it's kind of funny, because the nurse yesterday didn't think for sure he'd be ready today, but the dr. was so much more clinical about it...if the x-ray's fine, he can go....the nurse had many more things he should be doing before going home....oh well, we'll find out soon enough.....I am just going to have to train the little girls to wait on him when he gets home.....when he is in pain and it hurts to talk, he'll just say something like, "Juice!", or "Water", or "Cover my legs!"......and I comment on how spoiled he's gotten, and how long it will take to unprogram him.......

But all in all, we have really been thankful for the time with him, and for our older kids at home taking care of things....the little girls have a dentist appointment tomorrow morning, so if we go home today, I'll be jumping right back into "real life"....

Well, Molly is coming alive, and Camille is getting sick of singing in her little pink bed....

3 comments:

Martha said...

Things are sounding better for Aaron. That's good. I hope they will let you go home, but mostly I hope he's ready. It's a long drive back.

God has never seen fit to give us more than three bedrooms... maybe I didn't have enough kids? Even with only three left at home I'm wishing for an extra room. I guess they are never really extra and I would just fill it up by giving everyone their own room.

I am so not ready for school. It seems that trips to the beach, the park, and the museum are still in order. Yes, and possibly a trip out to the State Fair. Kids get in free on Friday... pack a lunch, see the animals, watch a show, have some fresh chocolate milk and an ice cream cone... and maybe a baked potato. Hmmm... maybe...

Cassandra said...

I hope Aaron can come home, and i hope is well enough to come home....
What i wouldnt give for a bigger house.... but at the moment i need to be content as it would just be too much hassle right now, maybe in the future... Those home improvement shows get me going to...Joe hates when i watch them lol, gives me too many ideas ;-)

Cassandra xx

cheryl said...

Depressing, getting ready for school.. I cannot believe our summer is ending!! I'm just not one of those moms who can't wait to get rid of my kids! And, they aren't looking forward to school, so I would think that they feel the same way about me!!
Anyway, it's funny about your dream, I have those "Wow, I didn't know my house was THIS big, or this nice" a lot, does it mean I'm not content? Today I cooked a turkey (I know, in this heat? But I took it out to thaw when it wasn't that hot, and we were looking to celebrate today). I put it in before going to Church, not really thinking, then when someone was speaking they said the word "burn" in a sentence, and I realized my turkey was cooking alone. Anyway, my point is that when telling this to my girls, they said, oh, that would be nice, to have it burn down and start over, until I said, we'd be living in the camper or at Susan's..
The turkey was very good, by the way, I believe because it's August, and we were starving.
Well, maybe someday you will have a McMansion of your own, I'll come visit!! Hope all goes well!