summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

one week 'til school

And we don't like to talk about it. We filled the backpacks early this year, because of the way I have been gradually picking up supplies - I need to see what we still need. Apparently, two of the backpacks I had in my closet were very hot. Just to die for. Pink baby cordoroy M.U.D.D. one strap messenger bag style bags. I got them for like $2 each at Toy'sRUs months ago....and the trouble they caused here. But for now everyone is happy with what they have. One of the girls gave Jonathan their last year's backpack, and I put crayons and stuff in there. Then Charlotte Claire wanted one too, and we had an extra, so we put some crayons in there. Which seems a bit dangerous, I will have to watch that child. A two year old with markers, pens, pencils, or crayons is considered armed and dangerous.


It looks like someone has been playing with my camera again. Mr. Jon and Kathryn.
I did not take this picture, either. Nor did I do this little hair-do.....

Yesterday, I stayed home. So why was I so busy? I had promised the kids a special breakfast. And I knew my mother-in-law was probably coming over. So I had to get up and get moving. I put on the tea-kettle, and cleaned counters, and picked up, cut up some oranges, made toast and bagels, got out the cocoa and tea bags, set the table nicely....then Camille woke up, got her changed and nursed and into the highchair. The food wasn't fantastic, but it was fun to sit at the table with them and have tea. We always eat dinner together, but breakfast and lunch during the summer, sometimes, sometimes not. Now, the older ones slept through all this. It was just Kathryn, Evelyn, Suzanne, Sonja, Jonathan, Charlotte Claire, and Camille. Then Gramma came over with two huge tins of lasagna, and a frosted vanilla cake with sprinkles. She sat and visited for a while, while I wished I had gotten up earlier. I hadn't swept the floor yet, and when you have this many people here, it looks like it hasn't been swept in a week, when really it was just earlier the night before. No one ever stops over when I have it clean and sparkling.....
The weather was perfect for drying laundry outside yesterday, so I did several loads of bedding. Then, the little girls cleaned their room last night, which consists of putting everything in a huge pile in the laundry room doorway. For me. Thank you, girls.
Then, yesterday, we went out in the hot tub for a while. And I got to sit in the sun for a bit before Miss Camille woke up. It seems like I just putter around, take care of the kids, and the day flies by. Nothing major accomplished. But one thing I mentioned we are working on: listening better. It is my job and responsibility to teach these guys to listen. I am not talking about strict discipline. Just basic listening the first time. For example, the child puts his hand in his milk at the table. Mom says not to do that again. Child does it again. (Rats, thinks the mom, now I have to do something!) There is where laziness can set in, which is very bad for the child. Encouraging them to listen, praising them when they do, and taking action when they don't, basic parenting. I have heard many mothers, when I am out and about, cutting down their kids, saying how bad they are. The other day at Walmart, I had 7 kids with me. A mom sitting outside with her 3 or 4 said to her kids loudly as we walked by, " Look at those kids. There are 6 of them, and they aren't bad kids like you are!" Or when the mom says to me, "Mine are awful, they don't listen..." I know kids have different personalities, and some are much harder to deal with than others, but if you are lazy in your parenting, don't blame it on the kids. One of the needs I have it to be more patient, more longsuffering.
Having kids: Easy.....they're lovable and sweet, but raising them to be good, responsible adults is a work. And now I have Charlotte Claire on one side of me and Jonathan on the other, waiting for me to read "If You Give A Mouse A Cookie", and "The New Potty"....so bye for now....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

so when are you moving to alabama?!

It seems weird the kids are going back to school so soon, seems like they got out waaaay after catherine did? But I guess catherine has been in school 3 weeks now, so it will be almost a month when they go back.

I have got to find my camera so that i can take pics of the nursery so you can see. Im so excited. I can't wait to paint it and get more decorations for it!!

:)hugs

Martha said...

(Rats, thinks the mom, now I have to do something!)

This made me smile. I know that feeling all too well.